Bit Of A Yarn

Gig Kick's Racing Manager not pulling his punches!!!

Chief Stipe

‘I'd have strangled him': Williams faces sack from Giga Kick

Rod Douglas and Clayton Douglas saddle up Giga Kick before a gallop at The Valley. Picture: Vince Caligiuri-Getty Images
Rod Douglas and Clayton Douglas saddle up Giga Kick before a gallop at The Valley. Picture: Vince Caligiuri-Getty Images

By Tom Biddington
Comments

Rod Douglas has unleashed on Craig Williams for giving sprint superstar Giga Kick "a gut-buster" on Saturday, confirming owner Jonathan Munz will decide if he's going to sack the star hoop in the coming days.

Douglas, the racing manager for Munz and uncle of Giga Kick's trainer Clayton Douglas, remains furious with how Williams handled the reigning Everest champion in the Group 2 McEwen Stakes, when he took off early after missing the start, covering extra ground and giving eventual winner Imperatriz a suck into the race.

Douglas didn't mince his words when asked his thoughts about the ride.

"I'd have strangled him at Moonee Valley," Douglas said on Radio TAB on Wednesday morning.

"I'd have strangled him with my bare hands, I'd have strangled him in the mounting yard. There's no excuse for what he did.

"It wasn't all about winning that race, he knows where we're at with the horse. He knows he's three weeks until the Premiere (Stakes) and five weeks to The Everest.

"It just doesn't make any sense to what he did. Inexcusable and we'll see what plays out.

"He knew where we were at and that's the bit that's hard to cope with.

"To take off from the 800m to the 200m and run 31.87 (seconds) – he's not Secretariat. You can't be doing things like that.

"He couldn't sustain the run he was given, it was a ridiculous ride, he had no answer for why he did it so he might suffer the consequences.

"It's up to Jonathan, he'll make a decision in the next couple of days whether Craig retains the ride or he drags him off – it's up to him, he owns the horse and makes the rules."

Melbourne Racing

Giga Kick (white and red silks) was gassed out in his McEwen Stakes third last Saturday. Picture: Vince Caligiuri-Getty Images

A host of big-name hoops have put their hand up if Munz does decide to make a change.

"There's been a million jockeys ring for the ride. Obviously most jockeys would've looked at the ride and seen how poor it was, we've had a million phone calls," Douglas said.

"Zac Purton has rung from Hong Kong, Nash Rawiller, Mark Zahra, Blake Shinn. They've all thrown their hat in the ring."

Douglas revealed the run had taken a big toll on Giga Kick, potentially forcing them to change their spring plans with The Everest the main goal.

"(Clayton was) devastated. The best horse he's got and probably will ever get – and he's put a lot of work into horse with Williams and then Williams goes and does that and has no answer for why he did it," he said.

"It's punched a bit of a hole in the horse after the run, he was first-up, he didn't need to be having a gut-buster on a track that was like a road as well.

"He's still got to recover from this run, so whether he runs in the Premiere now that this has punched a hole in him or he has a couple of trials and goes straight into the Everest, that's the drama we've got with the horse now.

"This could jeopardise all that."

• Chief Stipe changed the title to Gig Kick's Racing Manager not pulling his punches!!!
7 minutes ago, Huey said:

Wow Cry babies much, didn't he win them an Everest last year ?

I would suggest the horse won them the Everest last year.  

I empathise with the trainer and owners.  I can think of two very bad rides of two of my horses.  In both cases the Trainers nearly tore them new arseholes.  One was in a trial and instructions were given to ride the horse quietly has it was coming back from injury.  The Jock rode the horse out to win - the excuse "the other jockeys goaded me".

The second occasion I estimate the Jockeys poor ride in a Group 2 race cost the syndicate at least $200,000 in stakes and residual value.  The horse was getting a nice run with cover and cruising.  The Jockey sets sail for home at the 600m and clears out from the field only to be swamped in the final 100m.  When asked why did he do that - "she was travelling so well I thought I get the jump on the rest of the field".

No excuses for Williams.  Dump him for not following instructions.  Why reward mediocrity?

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

I empathise with the trainer and owners.  I can think of two very bad rides of two of my horses.  In both cases the Trainers nearly tore them new arseholes.  One was in a trial and instructions were given to ride the horse quietly has it was coming back from injury.  The Jock rode the horse out to win - the excuse "the other jockeys goaded me".

The second occasion I estimate the Jockeys poor ride in a Group 2 race cost the syndicate at least $200,000 in stakes and residual value.  The horse was getting a nice run with cover and cruising.  The Jockey sets sail for home at the 600m and clears out from the field only to be swamped in the final 100m.  When asked why did he do that - "she was travelling so well I thought I get the jump on the rest of the field".

No excuses for Williams.  Dump him for not following instructions.  Why reward mediocrity?

I'm not for rewarding it , but what I am saying is it happens all the time , it's only amplified due to it being a superstar horse. I feel as much for them as they would me.

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

'I would suggest the horse won them the Everest last year. '

One of your dumber comments for the year.

Top jockeys would not be so sought after if their part was not of huge significance.

Williams has been one of the top go  to jocks for many years now.When the stallion making and Grp races come up...he produces.

Take Bosson in NZ.His fuckups are many,but forgiven.

34 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

I would suggest the horse won them the Everest last year. '

One of your dumber comments for the year.

Really?  Giga Kick was trained to the minute last year.  Williams has probably undone all that this year.

When a horse is fit and the best horse in the field they can make mugs look good.

36 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Top jockeys would not be so sought after if their part was not of huge significance.

More important is aligning the right Jockey style with the horses style.  Some top Jockeys just don't work with some top horses.

You obviously are just a spectator in this game with limited experience.

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

More important is aligning the right Jockey style with the horses style.  Some top Jockeys just don't work with some top horses.

You obviously are just a spectator in this game with limited experience.

You have N.F.I...maybe change your name to Chief Spite.

You insult ALL JOCKEYS with your b/s.🤡

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, holy ravioli said:

You have N.F.I...maybe change your name to Chief Spite.

You insult ALL JOCKEYS with your b/s.🤡

Interesting to see @nomates having a view given what he posted elsewhere.

I fail to see how I've insulted anyone.  Bit rich coming from you as you are quick off the mark to have a dig.  Geez in this thread you were quick to put the boot into Bosson.

In Australia there'd be 30 top Jockey's each with their own style suitable to different horses.  Plenty to choose from and I wouldn't put Williams in the top dozen. 

Different in NZ of course.  3 or 4 top Jockies that could hold their own internationally and daylight to the rest.

16 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Interesting to see @nomates having a view given what he posted elsewhere.

I fail to see how I've insulted anyone.  Bit rich coming from you as you are quick off the mark to have a dig.  Geez in this thread you were quick to put the boot into Bosson.

In Australia there'd be 30 top Jockey's each with their own style suitable to different horses.  Plenty to choose from and I wouldn't put Williams in the top dozen. 

Different in NZ of course.  3 or 4 top Jockies that could hold their own internationally and daylight to the rest.

Not putting Willow in the top dozen...show's just how much you have N.F.I.

I merely pointed out that Bosson and any jockey you care to name ..make mistakes...a split second is all it ..takes.

1 minute ago, holy ravioli said:

Not putting Willow in the top dozen...show's just how much you have N.F.I.

I merely pointed out that Bosson and any jockey you care to name ..make mistakes...a split second is all it ..takes.

But Williams didn't make a split second decision did he?  He had all the time in the world and rode contrary to instructions.

I think what all you guys forget , while you're getting stuck into each other,  is 90% of the time the Jockeys whether in the country, Nz or the Everest , whether it's Willow, OP Bos, or an apprentice,  are doing their best to ride to the Trainers instructions. willow has plenty of experience and winners.

And all the while these brave jockeys are doing that is in a 'Very Hostile environment' ( a bit like Nz racing forums lol 😂 ) with many of your peers NOT wanting you to have your own Way in a race, and the real KICKER too , >>> trying to control a 500kg wild beast at the same time .

(It's No Easy Feat)  any of those 3 major things in play in a jockeys day.  you guys are HARSH .

Edited by Gammalite

23 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

I think what all you guys forget , while you're getting stuck into each other,  is 90% of the time the Jockeys whether in the country, Nz or the Everest , whether it's Willow, OP Bos, or an apprentice,  are doing their best to ride to the Trainers instructions. willow has plenty of experience and winners.

And all the while these brave jockeys are doing that is in a 'Very Hostile environment' ( a bit like Nz racing forums lol 😂 ) with many of your peers NOT wanting you to have your own Way in a race, and the real KICKER too , >>> trying to control a 500kg wild beast at the same time .

(It's No Easy Feat)  any of those 3 major things in play in a jockeys day.  you guys are HARSH .

But it's their job and what they're paid to do.  It's also a sport and I don't see why some put Jockey's on pedestals.  The fact is Williams has said it was a shit ride on Giga Kick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But it's their job and what they're paid to do.  It's also a sport and I don't see why some put Jockey's on pedestals.  The fact is Williams has said it was shit ride on Giga Kick.

Yes the connections don't seem happy in the lead you put on this thread at all. Fancy saying they'd strangle some-one though?. Bunch of ungratefuls. I'd tell em where to go .

Never saw that happen at the trots ever in my day. We made mistakes (well a non-winning strategy anyway) nearly every race-night , but owners Never said shit like that after. 

You have 8 horses all trying to win that MV race last week?  . does that mean 7 strangulations ?? the winner was a good horse and deserved it's win ?? Mickey Dee did ok. 

I thought it had NO chance coming from last against the flying Queenslanders up front . But certainly wouldn't of roasted him if he got beat . you Can't all win . They're Good fast horses.

Guess even Jmac even gets this poor treatment once in a while. he rides a LOT of horses.

13 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

If you're inferring that there aren't that many then you're probably right.  Of course I'm not referring to those that have already migrated to OZ.

So name these 3/4  international class NZ jocks and the 12 in Australia better than Willow...don't be shy...don't do a runner..don't be a big girls..blouse!

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

If you're inferring that there aren't that many then you're probably right.  Of course I'm not referring to those that have already migrated to OZ.

Not at all. I'm wanting to see the data you have showing that there is daylight between the performance of our 3-4 top jockeys and the rest. I haven't seen that.

Rodney Douglas has apologised to Craig Williams for his comments following the jockey's flawed ride on Giga Kick at The Valley last week.

Douglas, who is the racing manager for Giga Kick's owner Jonathan Munz's Pinecliff Racing, said on Friday that he had reached out to Williams after earlier in the week saying he would have liked to 'strangle' the jockey following his poorly judged ride on the sprint star.

"I understand my comments regarding Craig's ride on Giga Kick may have caused something of a stir," Douglas said.

"It goes without saying that the one loose remark in the interview was very much tongue-in-cheek.

"Clearly it wasn't Craig's best performance - he's acknowledged as much himself - but he still remains one of our best riders.

"I've called him to apologise and he accepted it."

Douglas said he feared the tough run, where Giga Kick put in some sizzling mid-race fractions, could affect the horse's spring, where he is well-fancied to take some of the country's biggest sprints.

Racing Victoria stewards are looking into Douglas' comments, which were made on Radio TAB on Wednesday morning.

Williams has not yet been confirmed as Giga Kick's rider for his next planned assignment in the G2 Premiere Stakes (1200m) at Randwick on September 30.

WATCH: Giga Kick's performance in the McEwen Stakes

• Like 1