Bit Of A Yarn

Emma Stewart Statement - a Drench

Chief Stipe

Leading harness trainer admits ‘mistake' after stable raid

www.racenet.com.au

Champion harness trainer Emma Stewart has broken her silence around the circumstances around Harness Racing Victoria stewards scratching two of her pacers, including Inter Dominion placegetter Act Now, from last Sunday's Maryborough Cup meeting.

Stewart, who won five of the 12 Group 1 Vicbred finals at Melton last Saturday night, released a statement around the stable inspection by HRV stewards earlier that morning that led to pacers Act Now and Show Me Heaven being withdrawn from their respective Maryborough races.

"Last Saturday morning (September 16), Harness Racing Victoria stewards inspected my stables and as a result two of my horses, Act Now and Show Me Heaven, were scratched from their engagements at Maryborough the following day," the statement read.

"Act Now was being administered a ‘Hartman's' drip and Show Me Heaven was about to be administered one. I now know this was inside the permitted time frame before their scheduled races.

"On the day and subsequently, I have co-operated fully with HRV stewards and will continue to do so. I willingly provided samples of the intravenous drips and treatment records for the horses.

"There were no prohibited substances used and the inquiry will show this.

"I accept I have breached the rules by administering the drip to Act Now and, intending to do the same with Show Me Heaven, inside one clear day of the horses racing.

"This was a mistake, which I take responsibility for, and I will continue to co-operate fully with HRV stewards until the inquiry is concluded."

A "Hartmann's" drip is described as: "a compound sodium lactate used to replace body fluid and mineral salts."

Act Now was withdrawn by stewards from the Maryborough Cup meeting last Sunday.

Industry speculation went into overdrive late last Saturday night when HRV's integrity unit issued a brief notification, explaining the scratchings of Act Now and Show Me Heaven.

Stewart and partner, Clayton Tonkin, are Australia's dominant training force and recently won the world's richest pacing race, the inaugural $2.1m TAB Eureka at Menangle.

Just hours after the drama unfolded at Stewart's Cardigan stables near Ballarat, they had 28 of the 94 runners across the eight Group 1 Vicbred finals they contested last Saturday night.

Stewart has won the past eight Victorian trainers' premierships and holds a commanding lead again this season with 161 wins, 76 ahead of nearest rival Julie Douglas.

Victoria acknowledges the interest generated by the recent stable inspection at the establishment of a highly successful trainer within our sport.

"We understand the significance of this news and reassure that all relevant protocols and procedures are being followed with utmost professionalism and respect.

"It is imperative that matters progress with due process, regardless of a stable's size or success, to ensure a fair hearing and protect the integrity of the sport, and so there will be no further comment relating to an active investigation."

No date has yet been set for the inquiry.

Hartmann's solution:

Hartmann's Solution • LITFL • CCC
litfl.com

Hartmann’s Solution is one of the most commonly administered intravenous crystalloid solutions for perioperative care and circulatory resuscitation.

The electrolyte composition of Hartmann’s solution (Alexis Frank Hartmann – 1932) is similar to Ringer’s solution (Sydney Ringer – 1882) first formulated to maintain cellular function. Hartmann’s solution has been adapted by adding sodium lactate to more closely resemble the ionic composition of plasma, creating a ‘balanced salt solution’ that reduces transmembrane ion and water shifts post-transfusion.

Hartmann’s solution is also known as: Hartmann’s; Compound Sodium Lactate (CSL); sodium lactate solution; Ringer-Locke’s solution; Ringer-lactate; Lactated Ringer’s Solution (LRS).

Ingredients

Crystalloid solution containing Potassium chloride; Sodium chloride; Calcium chloride dihydrate; Sodium lactate in various concentrations. The exact make up is determined by country and manufacturer.

In Australia the most common constituents for Compound Sodium Lactate includes sodium lactate (3.17g/L), sodium chloride (6.0g/L), potassium chloride (400 mg/L) and calcium chloride dihydrate (270mg/L) in water for injections.

Contents
mmol.L-1
0.9% NaCl
UK/AUS
Hartmann’s
UK
/AUS
Plasmalyte
Osmolality
mOsm/kg
300 254 294
How does it work?

Hartmann’s solution acts as a source of both glucose and alkalinising agent in the form of bicarbonate that is generated from lactate metabolism.

Metabolism of the lactate in Hartmann’s solution is by either gluconeogenesis or oxidation.

Gluconeogenesis (70%): Lactate undergoes gluconeogenesis, predominantly in the liver and to a lesser extent in the kidneys. Lactate is first converted to pyruvate (via pyruvate kinase), then oxaloacetate and phosphoenol pyruvate (via phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase). In normal healthy adults there is a transient increase in blood glucose which provokes an appropriate insulin response.

Metabolism of lactate 1997 Fig 2
Metabolism of lactate to form Glucose. Anaesthesia 1997

Oxidation (30%): Lactate undergoes oxidation predominantly in the hepatocytes, but also in the kidneys as well as cardiac and skeletal muscle under certain physiological conditions. H+ ions are consumed in lactate oxidation to CO2 and H2O

Oxidation. Metabolism of lactate 1997 Fig 3
Metabolism of lactate by oxidation. Anaesthesia 1997

Hydrogen ions are consumed in both gluconeogenesis and oxidation of lactate. Both reactions contribute to the alkalinising effect of Hartmann’s solution by producing a relative excess of bicarbonate ions (excess OH combines with CO2 to  form  HCO3 )

In normal adults the production of both glucose and bicarbonate is gradual and produces small changes in their plasma concentrations, easily corrected by the usual homeostatic mechanisms.

In patients with metabolic acidosis, there is a slow and steady production of bicarbonate which is of potential benefit. Bicarbonate produced has a half life of 10-15 minutes, with excess being excreted by the kidneys.

Note: some critically ill patients are obligate excretors of acidic urine. The additional bicarbonate load cannot be excreted and may render the patient alkalotic with increased renal potassium loss…

History of Hartmann’s solution or Ringer’s lactate

Sydney Ringer (1835-1910) was a British clinician, physiologist and pharmacologist. He studied the effects of electrolytes on cardiac and involuntary muscles. In particular the actions of various inorganic salts on the behaviour of the heart. In 1882 discovered a solution of salts dissolved in water to create an isotonic solution relative to the body fluids of an animal.

The discovery of Ringers solution was an accident. Ringer’s lab assistant mistakenly substituted tap water for distilled water, in experiments they were performing on frogs hearts. Ringer noticed that the experiments with tap water yielded different results from those with distilled water; he deduced this was due to the fact tap water contained inorganic substances.

I discovered, that the saline solution which I had used had not been prepared with distilled water, but with pipe water supplied by the New River Water Company. As this water contains minute traces of various inorganic substances, I at once tested the action of saline solution made with distilled water and I found that I did not get the effects described in the paper referred to. It is obvious therefore, that the effects I had obtained are due to some of the inorganic constituents of the pipe water.

Ringer 1883

The ability of a small volume of Ringer solution to sustain an excised frog heart-nerve preparation enabled Otto Loewi and Sir Henry Hallett Dale to propose the chemical transmission of nerve impulses For this, Loewi and Dale received the 1936 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.

A mixture containing 100cc saline [0.75% NaCl], 5cc sodium bicarbonate [0.5%], 5cc calcium chloride [1 in 1082, i.e. approximately 0.1% Ca], with 1 cc potassium chloride [1%] makes an excellent artificial circulating fluid, for with this mixture the heart will continue beating perfectly.

Ringer 1883

Alexis Frank Hartmann (1898-1964) was an American pediatrician and clinical biochemist. His research work centred around treating acidosis in sick children. In the 1930’s there were several problems complicating the use of sodium bicarbonate to treat acidosis. The process of sterilisation was laborious; the solution was highly irritant and made administration difficult; and sodium bicarbonate administration often produced too rapid a correction of the acidosis potentially resulting in a profound alkalosis.

An alternative to sodium bicarbonate was needed:

…if sodium bicarbonate were properly administered along with other indicated therapeutic measures, severe acidosis could be much more effectively treated…however, if given intravenously in amounts large enough to insure effectiveness, it tended to produce too rapid a change in the reaction of the body fluids, and often resulted in an almost immediate shift from uncompensated acidosis to uncompensated alkalosis.

In order to overcome those objections the mixture of sodium lactate and hypotonic Ringer’s solution was devised. The conversion of sodium lactate into sodium bicarbonate, it was felt, would be sufficiently slow to permit maintenance of the proper bicarbonate ratio which would lessen the danger of alkalosis and possibly even permit quantitative restoration of diminished body fluid sodium bicarbonate by a single dose. Sodium lactate, alone or combined with Ringer’s solution, is non-irritating, stable and can be sterilized readily by boiling.

Hartmann and Senn, 1932
References

Original articles

Eponymous terms

Mr Galah will not be happy.  as today the Emma Stewart stable sent 4 runners 'Over the Border'  to contest 4 heats of the NSW Breeders Sires stakes.  at Wagga. All 4 winning very easily by lengths and lengths. After dominating the Victorian Sires Finals last week (and for years really ) could be 4 more Group 1's the way they're shaping. 

What I found Very Amusing the 'BEN YOLE' 'disease from Tassie' was even at Wagga . somehow he has loaded a race there with 5 runners that are based in Victoria. One old horse won it ,named MY CELEBRITY that went round and round for 3 years for Yole in Tassie,  last winning there a year ago in slow time.

So he (Ben Yole)  has a sattelite stable in Victoria and they win heaps of races with his cheap horses (still racing trained in his name) as the Yole company owns shares in most,  but because they are in better 'Conditions' and better stable staff ,  the horse has won 5 out of 5 this year (running 4 seconds quicker too lol 😆) since leaving the horrid training conditions it /the horses endure in the harsh Tasmanian stabling conditions ....  

I think the mainland invasion will be well and truly on shortly with heaps being sent back out of Tas now,  by Yole and Bain. 

(Aaron Bain racing syndicates won 8 of the 9 races at Tamworth yesterday. another bloke like Yole trying to own/ or train the lot on a racecard at country venues to get their wins..) 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gammalite said:

(Aaron Bain racing syndicates won 8 of the 9 races at Tamworth yesterday. another bloke like Yole trying to own/ or train the lot on a racecard at country venues to get their wins..) 

Hey Gamma..Bain & Summit not only racking up the wins at country venues!

Last Night at HQ Alexandra Park..their 2yo Coastal Babe bolted home in GROUP ONE CLASSIC at juicy double figure odds (and Mark Purdon rep hot fav beaten out of divvies)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Hey Gamma..Bain & Summit not only racking up the wins at country venues!

Last Night at HQ Alexandra Park..their 2yo Coastal Babe bolted home in GROUP ONE CLASSIC at juicy double figure odds (and Mark Purdon rep hot fav beaten out of divvies)

That's crazy.  he's even getting in on the Nz racing action 😲. AAron Bain was just a small-time South Australia trainer , but now BAIN is the WOLF of WALL St.😁   'penny shares' in bucketloads of cheap horses  all around the nation (and nations ) now he is winning Nz .  uses a heap of trainers, especially cheap ones like YOLE that cost him nothing . (just a share in the horse for his company) .  He actually has a couple at Emma Stewarts stable too lol.....

And what is this you say  ?? Mark NOT winning the/a Group 1 ? what are they doing over there to create such an abnomily ? 

• Haha 1

On 22/09/2023 at 11:01 PM, Gammalite said:

Mr Galah will not be happy.  as today the Emma Stewart stable sent 4 runners 'Over the Border'  to contest 4 heats of the NSW Breeders Sires stakes.  at Wagga. All 4 winning very easily by lengths and lengths. After dominating the Victorian Sires Finals last week (and for years really ) could be 4 more Group 1's the way they're shaping. 

What I found Very Amusing the 'BEN YOLE' 'disease from Tassie' was even at Wagga . somehow he has loaded a race there with 5 runners that are based in Victoria. One old horse won it ,named MY CELEBRITY that went round and round for 3 years for Yole in Tassie,  last winning there a year ago in slow time.

So he (Ben Yole)  has a sattelite stable in Victoria and they win heaps of races with his cheap horses (still racing trained in his name) as the Yole company owns shares in most,  but because they are in better 'Conditions' and better stable staff ,  the horse has won 5 out of 5 this year (running 4 seconds quicker too lol 😆) since leaving the horrid training conditions it /the horses endure in the harsh Tasmanian stabling conditions ....  

I think the mainland invasion will be well and truly on shortly with heaps being sent back out of Tas now,  by Yole and Bain. 

I see reading the peter profit site headlines, it says your favorite victorian stables horse mach dan,has to go through the procedure of presenting early and blood tests for a while,due to having a tco2 level over 35 last week.

Reading the nsw harness site it doesn't say what the level was, nor that charges will follow. I guess its just one of those ones where the tco2 level is a sign of something else being administered but not high enough to warrant charges.

Just one of those things that a stable like stewart gets. I thought they would have had their own analysing equipment for that.

Thats what they say a north island trainer who no longer trains used to do,then he would scratch them before he got to the races if the readings wre too high. Whether that was true,but that was what i was told back then and he sure did late scratch a few and had a few breaches of the rules back then.

I see yole has 37 horses in tonight at hobart. All 7 starters in one race.Only the stewart stable with 28 at one meeting have numbers near that level. If it is bad that the yole stable has such numbers the same logic should apply to any other stable.e

i see sherlock ran the last 400m in under 26 seconds when winning last night. My granny would have been able to keep up for the first mile as they went that slow,but  not the last 400m.

I watched a bit of australian harness racing this week.

Two drivers that seemed very talented that i haven't heard of much were a n rothwell from queensland and i think it was b or j hughes driving at tamworth. Both seem very talented.

I think n jack and one of the turnbulls,(maybe n turnbull) are the best over there.

That n  jack always seems to do things that arec split second decisions but makes it look like he has had all the time in the world.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, the galah said:

I see reading the peter profit site headlines, it says your favorite victorian stables horse mach dan,has to go through the procedure of presenting early and blood tests for a while,due to having a tco2 level over 35 last week.

Reading the nsw harness site it doesn't say what the level was, nor that charges will follow. I guess its just one of those ones where the tco2 level is a sign of something else being administered but not high enough to warrant charges.

Just one of those things that a stable like stewart gets. I thought they would have had their own analysing equipment for that.

Thats what they say a north island trainer who no longer trains used to do,then he would scratch them before he got to the races if the readings wre too high. Whether that was true,but that was what i was told back then and he sure did late scratch a few and had a few breaches of the rules back then.

Uh?  You're an intelligent man so I'm assuming you are not inferring that there is an advantage in racing with 35 tco2 or below.

Your anecdotal story could have some merit and a possible reason could be that the un-named trainer treated his horses for lactic acid build up after fast work during the week.  Nothing illegal in that as long as the one clear day rule is adhered to.

Perhaps Stewart does the same or the particular horse has high natural TCO2 levels.  If there was something else being administered then the technology is there to find it.

Grimson has had the same scrutiny.  Hell weren't his horses locked in a barn for a time and they still won?

I'd give @Archie Butterfly a miss if I was you.  He will cross a legal line one day that he can't slip back over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the galah said:

I see yole has 37 horses in tonight at hobart. All 7 starters in one race.Only the stewart stable with 28 at one meeting have numbers near that level. If it is bad that the yole stable has such numbers the same logic should apply to any other stable.e

i see sherlock ran the last 400m in under 26 seconds when winning last night. My granny would have been able to keep up for the first mile as they went that slow,but  not the last 400m.

I watched a bit of australian harness racing this week.

Two drivers that seemed very talented that i haven't heard of much were a n rothwell from queensland and i think it was b or j hughes driving at tamworth. Both seem very talented.

I think n jack and one of the turnbulls,(maybe n turnbull) are the best over there.

That n  jack always seems to do things that arec split second decisions but makes it look like he has had all the time in the world.

some good points there.

Great to see The Real SHERLOCK back on deck winning at Melton for Nz and Nathan Purdon. getting set for the rich Victoria Derby soon.

Also winning again QUEEN ELIDA to make it 10 straight wins this year in the trotting FFA for her Nz owners the Baron and McKenzie families. 

Also winning ex-pat horse TERRY , who most here would know from Nz fast class races.

Emma Stewart 5 runners were in 3 races. They ran a trifecta, another win , and a 3rd. Perhaps they are slipping a bit ?? letting 2 horses finish ahead of them ? 😉😂😆😂

Meanwhile at Menangle young Jason Grimson at his Grim best with MY NAMEISJEFF again. Blazing home the last half mile in under 53 seconds. 3 out of 3 now and perhaps the Interdominion a target ?? at Brisbane if can run those sectionals . Trainor drove the stablemate into 2nd place 😆 and they were 4 lengths clear of the others !! Go Jason Go !!!! .......he's a star that lad.

Also at Menangle , the feature Trotters Carousel Final was Won by a McCarthy runner. No surprise there , but when you see it was driven by great young driver Jack Callaghan (regular pilot for McCarthy Superstar 'Spirit of St Louis')  and Luke McCarthy drove the 2nd placegetter for Victorian stable and ex-pat kiwi Brent Lilley You Have to ask the Question . some sort of question ? any question will do  ????? fancy a Trainer driving against his own stable horse . I can't see how that works for anyone ? owners, punters, anyone at all ... ,what a Joke that is . 😂

• Like 1