Bit Of A Yarn

rosie richter,race 4 motukara.

the galah

I watched this horse closely at motukarara yesterday and have watched the replay of both the false start and the eventual race several times.

I had a wager on it,nothing major but after my wager expected the ff price to go down,but no it went up instead shortly after. I thought thats strange given on recent form,it was a standout top 2 chance along with the eventual winner seacracker.

Well it ended up just going around for a run after its driver elected to give up a nice midfield position on the outside,ahead of its two main rivals who had drawn outside it and had gone back at the start.Not sure why it was driven like that,but the ff odds may have been an indication. I was happy to put the drive down to just poor tactical decision making from a very capable but currently a bit out of form driver.Thats just the way it goes sometimes.

But what i couldn't understand is how the driver,the starter and the stipes let punters down by not looking into why the horse very clearly started out of position at the start.

If you draw 3 on the second line,you start from 3 on the second line. Rosie richter did not start from its correct barrier position in either the false start or the actual start.

How did the driver not know where to start from and how did the starter and the stipes miss that.

It clearly started from behind the horse drawn 5 on the second line both times with no reason it did not start behind the horse drawn 3.It also clearly contributed to the eventual winner seacracker being forced to start further behind than it should have as rosie richter was in its barrier position.

After the false start i looked at both the hrnz website and the tab website and rosie richter is not a horse that starts from the unruly position.Had it won and seacracka run second they surely must have at least had an inquiry  into why it was in seacrackas postion at the start.

How does stuff like that happen twice and only the punters notice it?

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

So 11 starters - 8 off the front row?  Means Rosie Richter draw outside of second row inside one Unruly horse?  Perhaps the driver wanted to avoid tracking something that was going rough?

Looking at the race the horse inside it on the second row wasn't in position either.  Tricky grass track mobile's.

The video shows what i say.Good that you posted it.

The horse did not start from its correct position.

The driver ,not once but also in the false start,did not have her horse in its corrcet barrier position 50m before the start point.That is a requirement that they strictly enforce,until yesterday.

The horse that drew inside it started in its correct position of 2 on the 2nd line so your incorrect if you say that horse was not in its correct position chief.

As to the driver taking upon themselves to change starting positions in case she wants to avoid a rough going horse,the rules don't allow that.That would make a mockery  of having starting positions..Besides she did that in the false start before anything broke.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, the galah said:

The driver ,not once but also in the false start,did not have her horse in its corrcet barrier position 50m before the start point.That is a requirement that they strictly enforce,until yesterday.

The horse that drew inside it started in its correct position of 2 on the 2nd line so your incorrect if you say that horse was not in its correct position chief.

As to the driver taking upon themselves to change starting positions in case she wants to avoid a rough going horse,the rules don't allow that.That would make a mockery  of having starting positions..Besides she did that in the false start before anything broke.

Does Motukarara have a Candy Pole.

I remember Perth having one but it has since closed.

Edited by Rangatira
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

But the horse didn't start in the wrong position it was outside the correct horse and inside the correct horse.  Your argument was that it didn't sit on the back of the horse drawn 3.  What was the front line limit?  Only 11 horses started.

33 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But the horse didn't start in the wrong position it was outside the correct horse and inside the correct horse.  Your argument was that it didn't sit on the back of the horse drawn 3.  What was the front line limit?  Only 11 horses started.

Clutching at straws with that approach chief.

Using that logic any horse that is drawn either the front or back line can start as wide as they like as long as they are outside the correct horse and inside the correct horse,as you put it..For example you could have the drivers of the only 2 horses drawn the second line agreeing the horses drawn 1 and 2 on the front were slow beginners ,so lets follow out the 3 and 4 horses on the front line as they are fast beginners.Or the sole starter on the second line saying i don't want the get anywhere today so i will follow out the horse drawn 9 on the front.

It makes no sense,it would be totally confusing.This matter is black and white,not shades of grey. 

Edited by the galah

I see Rosie Richter is running in a race worth $2000 more at gore this week,plus the owner/breeder would also get the extra breeders pay out that applies to the gore fillies and mares races.

Maybe its coincidence,maybe its not.Who knows.

Watch the race at motukarara that the chief has posted and make up your own mind.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Clutching at straws with that approach chief.

Using that logic any horse that is drawn either the front or back line can start as wide as they like as long as they are outside the correct horse and inside the correct horse,as you put it..For example you could have the drivers of the only 2 horses drawn the second line agreeing the horses drawn 1 and 2 on the front were slow beginners ,so lets follow out the 3 and 4 horses on the front line as they are fast beginners.Or the sole starter on the second line saying i don't want the get anywhere today so i will follow out the horse drawn 9 on the front.

It makes no sense,it would be totally confusing.This matter is black and white,not shades of grey. 

What do the rules say?  Not as easy following anything behind a mobile on a grass track especially if there is nothing on your outside.

21 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Excellent thanks for the rul3s.  So Rosie Richter originally draw the outside (inside the Unruly horse).  

It was a field of 16, of which 2 were emergency’s who would have been scratched the evening before (not late scratchings). And then there were 3 more late scratched the morning of and that’s where the confusion has come from. 
Rosie Richter originally draws 6 the second row (number 15) and would move in for the standard scratchings of the emergency’s but not for the late ones.  
It’s definitely a tricky one to follow. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KimButt said:

It was a field of 16, of which 2 were emergency’s who would have been scratched the evening before (not late scratchings). And then there were 3 more late scratched the morning of and that’s where the confusion has come from. 
Rosie Richter originally draws 6 the second row (number 15) and would move in for the standard scratchings of the emergency’s but not for the late ones.  
It’s definitely a tricky one to follow. 

Thank you for the clear explanation.

As a Driver it wouldn't be all that easy to work out either let alone keep your horse in the right place.

1 hour ago, KimButt said:

Rosie Richter was still required to start from out wider as 12 & 13 were both late scratching. 

IMG_0936.jpeg

Thanks for that.

I had no idea such a rule existed.

G thornley obviously just doing what she was told to do,so sorry to her for that.

As to the rule

It makes me wonder why on earth the contradictory logic of that rule. 

If the logic is they want the second line horse to still follow out the same front line horse ,for the protection of the punters,then why not apply that same logic when  the late scratching happens to a front line horse. By moving the front line horses in they are immediately changing who the second line horses follow out.

And it appears that it only applies to mobile starts,not stands. 

Talk about a rule being confusing,contradictory and sending a mixed message.But i learnt something new today.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1