Bit Of A Yarn

Does The Everest need Group 1 status?

curious

• Its only winning stallion is earning a fortune. So, does The Everest even need group 1 status?

Adam Pengilly
    By Adam Pengilly
    Updated October 11, 2023 — 8.23pm

In the week leading up to the country’s first referendum this century, the Australian Electoral Commission ran an advertisement reminding people to vote before heading to watch a horse race only in its seventh year.

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys joked The Everest racegoers might be the best chance of saving Anthony Albanese’s stuttering Yes campaign, given the omens of his race’s short history (a horse called Yes Yes Yes won The Everest in track record time in 2019)

Melbourne Cup parade given the axe

For the first time in 40 years the Melbourne Cup parade has been cancelled with organisers citing cost and animal rights activists for the decision.

It also netted the slot-holder and Yes Yes Yes’ connections $6 million in the process, at the time the largest prize purse ever given to a winning horse in Australian racing history. Yes Yes Yes never started in another race after a later injury.

But in the years since then, the only colt or stallion to win The Everest has raked in far more money than he made for the 67 seconds of work on the track. In fact, he will make just as much cash this breeding season as what he collected from his most memorable win.

Yes Yes Yes is now standing as a stallion at the prestigious Coolmore Stud property in the Hunter Valley where the owners of each mare served by him pay $33,000 for the privilege.

He’s nowhere near the most expensive stallion at an Australasian stud – champion sire I Am Invincible commands an eye-watering $302,500 for each service – but one that is lining the pockets of his owners nonetheless.

The Everest winner Yes Yes Yes with handler Niall Scott.

The Everest winner Yes Yes Yes with handler Niall Scott.Credit: Peter Stoop

Last year alone, Yes Yes Yes covered 164 mares, which meant he earned just shy of $6 million for a few months of romantic rendezvouses. If his progeny, which are just starting to race as two-year-olds, show they’ve got athletic ability, that figure and his service fee will increase quickly.

So, with the only colt ever to win the race being popular at stud, does it even matter if The Everest is not granted the group 1 status its organisers crave?

In the euphoric moments after Yes Yes Yes won The Everest, there were giddy predictions that the colt’s value had soared to $50 million. No one can exactly know a horse’s value until it’s on the market, and Coolmore weren’t going to part with a horse which is a licence to print money. But group 1 or not, his spruikers said Yes Yes Yes was the hottest horse in Australia destined for a life of loving.

Since then, the fracture between Australia’s racing states over The Everest has been laid bare.

Yes Yes Yes winning The Everest in 2019.

Yes Yes Yes winning The Everest in 2019.Credit: Getty Images

NSW Supreme Court documents allege every state bar Victoria had agreed to grant The Everest group 1 status at a Racing Australia meeting in 2018.

The organisation has been dysfunctional ever since, and The Everest still waits for its stamp as an elite event despite its prize purse lifting to $20 million this year. But it hasn’t deterred buyers when it comes to evaluating a stallion prospect.

“As a buyer, and consultant to buyers, I have the upmost respect for the race,” renowned bloodstock guru James Bester says. “I think any horse that can win a race like that, I give it the equivalent of winning five group 1s. That doesn’t apply to all races though, no matter how rich they may be.

“It will take time for results in the breeding barn and progeny to prove it as a stallion-making race in the mould of the Golden Slipper or Caulfield Guineas, but that’s only because The Everest hasn’t been around long enough. Time will tell.”

For that to happen, it might need another colt or stallion to win the race with three-year-olds Shinzo and Cylinder joining Buenos Noches and Hawaii Five Oh as horses hoping to enhance their futures with a win in The Everest.

“We consider The Everest to be somewhat of a ‘super group 1’,” says Coolmore Australia boss Tom Magnier, who races Golden Slipper winner Shinzo.

When Yes Yes Yes won the race, he defeated 10 individual group 1 winners and achieved a Timeform rating of 125. Such a feat can only be achieved by a very special three-year-old taking on older, more seasoned sprinters. If you have a three-year-old that can do that, they must be considered as an elite stallion prospect.”

Edited by curious

52 minutes ago, curious said:
  • Its only winning stallion is earning a fortune. So, does The Everest even need group 1 status?

Adam Pengilly
    By Adam Pengilly
    Updated October 11, 2023 — 8.23pm

In the week leading up to the country’s first referendum this century, the Australian Electoral Commission ran an advertisement reminding people to vote before heading to watch a horse race only in its seventh year.

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys joked The Everest racegoers might be the best chance of saving Anthony Albanese’s stuttering Yes campaign, given the omens of his race’s short history (a horse called Yes Yes Yes won The Everest in track record time in 2019)

Melbourne Cup parade given the axe

For the first time in 40 years the Melbourne Cup parade has been cancelled with organisers citing cost and animal rights activists for the decision.

It also netted the slot-holder and Yes Yes Yes’ connections $6 million in the process, at the time the largest prize purse ever given to a winning horse in Australian racing history. Yes Yes Yes never started in another race after a later injury.

But in the years since then, the only colt or stallion to win The Everest has raked in far more money than he made for the 67 seconds of work on the track. In fact, he will make just as much cash this breeding season as what he collected from his most memorable win.

Yes Yes Yes is now standing as a stallion at the prestigious Coolmore Stud property in the Hunter Valley where the owners of each mare served by him pay $33,000 for the privilege.

He’s nowhere near the most expensive stallion at an Australasian stud – champion sire I Am Invincible commands an eye-watering $302,500 for each service – but one that is lining the pockets of his owners nonetheless.

The Everest winner Yes Yes Yes with handler Niall Scott.

The Everest winner Yes Yes Yes with handler Niall Scott.Credit: Peter Stoop

Last year alone, Yes Yes Yes covered 164 mares, which meant he earned just shy of $6 million for a few months of romantic rendezvouses. If his progeny, which are just starting to race as two-year-olds, show they’ve got athletic ability, that figure and his service fee will increase quickly.

So, with the only colt ever to win the race being popular at stud, does it even matter if The Everest is not granted the group 1 status its organisers crave?

In the euphoric moments after Yes Yes Yes won The Everest, there were giddy predictions that the colt’s value had soared to $50 million. No one can exactly know a horse’s value until it’s on the market, and Coolmore weren’t going to part with a horse which is a licence to print money. But group 1 or not, his spruikers said Yes Yes Yes was the hottest horse in Australia destined for a life of loving.

Since then, the fracture between Australia’s racing states over The Everest has been laid bare.

Yes Yes Yes winning The Everest in 2019.

Yes Yes Yes winning The Everest in 2019.Credit: Getty Images

NSW Supreme Court documents allege every state bar Victoria had agreed to grant The Everest group 1 status at a Racing Australia meeting in 2018.

The organisation has been dysfunctional ever since, and The Everest still waits for its stamp as an elite event despite its prize purse lifting to $20 million this year. But it hasn’t deterred buyers when it comes to evaluating a stallion prospect.

“As a buyer, and consultant to buyers, I have the upmost respect for the race,” renowned bloodstock guru James Bester says. “I think any horse that can win a race like that, I give it the equivalent of winning five group 1s. That doesn’t apply to all races though, no matter how rich they may be.

“It will take time for results in the breeding barn and progeny to prove it as a stallion-making race in the mould of the Golden Slipper or Caulfield Guineas, but that’s only because The Everest hasn’t been around long enough. Time will tell.”

For that to happen, it might need another colt or stallion to win the race with three-year-olds Shinzo and Cylinder joining Buenos Noches and Hawaii Five Oh as horses hoping to enhance their futures with a win in The Everest.

“We consider The Everest to be somewhat of a ‘super group 1’,” says Coolmore Australia boss Tom Magnier, who races Golden Slipper winner Shinzo.

When Yes Yes Yes won the race, he defeated 10 individual group 1 winners and achieved a Timeform rating of 125. Such a feat can only be achieved by a very special three-year-old taking on older, more seasoned sprinters. If you have a three-year-old that can do that, they must be considered as an elite stallion prospect.”

Geez you have really drunk the Everest Coolaid.

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes Yes Yes didn't win a Group 1.  I think his best Group win was the Grp 2 Todman.

' I give it the equivalent of winning five group 1s. That doesn’t apply to all races though, no matter how rich they may be.'

'“We consider The Everest to be somewhat of a ‘super group 1’,'

Bester and Coolmore....what would they...know!😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

' I give it the equivalent of winning five group 1s. That doesn’t apply to all races though, no matter how rich they may be.'

LOL - you've got to be kidding!!!  Did you forget the sarcasm font?

3 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

'“We consider The Everest to be somewhat of a ‘super group 1’,'

Bester and Coolmore....what would they...know!😉

LOL......yep Coolmore are good at marketing!!!!  

4 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Think the Everest is going to have a World Wide audience of over 100,000,000.

Says who?  If it does it is only because of the World Betting Pool.

5 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

should be a Group 1 , and have a standing like Royal Ascot on the World Racing calender.

It can't because it isn't open to all comers.  It is a sweepstake race basically a glorified calcutta.  In my opinion it does nothing for the longevity of horse racing.  Sends all the wrong signals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Says who?  If it does it is only because of the World Betting Pool.

It can't because it isn't open to all comers.  It is a sweepstake race basically a glorified calcutta.  In my opinion it does nothing for the longevity of horse racing.  Sends all the wrong signals.

Yes it is a partial sweepstake race. It is also open to all comers.

54 minutes ago, Freda said:

Seems to me that it is open to allcomers.

Certainly, most could not afford to purchase a slot.  But every slot-holder will want the best horse in their corner.  So it is open to all, based on merit.

I agree. Steep entry fee compared to most other races the only difference and it is a partial sweepstake because the entry fee makes up less than half the stake. The rest is ädded" money. Like a lot of big races.

I am probably the odd one out in that the Everest doesn't really interest me all that much. It's just another race, with a decent enough stake.

I have certainly never heard any of the non racing people I know ever mention it, so it has hardly captured their imagination, despite all the advertising.

The Melbourne Cup still seems to be the race that non racing people relate to, even without all the advertising.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I am probably the odd one out in that the Everest doesn't really interest me all that much. It's just another race, with a decent enough stake.

I have certainly never heard any of the non racing people I know ever mention it, so it has hardly captured their imagination, despite all the advertising.

The Melbourne Cup still seems to be the race that non racing people relate to, even without all the advertising.

Everest has been going 6 years...its already a big deal in...Oz.

57 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I agree with you.  I initially bought into the hype but I think that was because I knew someone who owned a share in Nature Strip.  Now it doesn't interest me much at all although it doesn't help having gone sour on the Randwick and Rosehill tracks.

I too haven't heard any non-racing people talking about.

18 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Everest has been going 6 years...its already a big deal in...Oz.

Is it a big deal?  How do you measure that?

Probably by things like this...

The Everest 2023: Peter V’landys bold dream to change racing has been realised (smh.com.au)

'

Last year, more than 46,000 people attended the race – the largest crowd at Randwick in half a century – and a similar figure is expected on Saturday. At the corresponding meeting in 2016, the figure posted was 9000.

Most of the crowd on Saturday will be under 35, which is the demographic V’landys has targeted.

10 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

The Everest 2023: Peter V’landys bold dream to change racing has been realised (smh.com.au)

'

Last year, more than 46,000 people attended the race – the largest crowd at Randwick in half a century – and a similar figure is expected on Saturday. At the corresponding meeting in 2016, the figure posted was 9000.

Most of the crowd on Saturday will be under 35, which is the demographic V’landys has targeted.

Geez V'landys could talk up your mother-in-law!

That's less than the attendance that the VRC have on Oaks Day!  Most of whom will be under 35 women!

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Geez V'landys could talk up your mother-in-law!

That's less than the attendance that the VRC have on Oaks Day!  Most of whom will be under 35 women!

Yes VRC Oaks day attendance figures have been on a downward spiral for years now....down from 60,000 plus 5-6 years ago to...45k.🤪

26 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Yes VRC Oaks day attendance figures have been on a downward spiral for years now....down from 60,000 plus 5-6 years ago to...45k.🤪

Once again you miss the point.  Oaks Day is the lowest attended day of the 4 day VRC carnival but is still higher than the Everest.  V'landys still has more work to do to sabotage the Carnival.

12 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

'

And the demographic that Entain appears to be targeting with their promotion of the race here.

41 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Once again you miss the point.  Oaks Day is the lowest attended day of the 4 day VRC carnival but is still higher than the Everest.  V'landys still has more work to do to sabotage the Carnival.

This WAS your point...'

'That's less than the attendance that the VRC have on Oaks Day!'

Proved WRONG AGAIN....on that...you come again with a different...tack.🙄