Bit Of A Yarn

Methven Abandoned ?

Newmarket

11 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Yeah, funny thing, I see Nigel (who I like 😊) posted on Facebook stating meeting off, funny thing he posted picture of them racing in the snow from years ago? 

Who makes the call? Is it Health & Safety issue, or people don’t want to get feet wet? 

I would suggest they didn't want to risk damaging the track more than anything else. If the track can't handle less than an inch of rain over a week then it is in trouble and any future meetings are in doubt with any rain forecast on the day or in the days before.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

I would suggest they didn't want to risk damaging the track more than anything else. If the track can't handle less than an inch of rain over a week then it is in trouble and any future meetings are in doubt with any rain forecast on the day or in the days before.

Agree, let’s have more meetings at Rangiora grass or Mot. Methven track is a joke since they fluffed around with it, nothing comes from the back, yet they still stick to that short distance racing 

2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Yep, it’s gone burger. Shame for drivers, trainers & owners to be told only 2 and a half hours before first race. Club should be ashamed, mind you might be a good thing with the nonsense short racing and foot long grass. 

Motukarara club miles ahead..

Yeah people just can't stand racing at Methven , how about you put your name up and we have a decent conversation or is it like above where you know everything already.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Yeah people just can't stand racing at Methven , how about you put your name up and we have a decent conversation or is it like above where you know everything already.

Well, Methven never get the crowds Mot get, not sure why your annoyed with that. 

Just my personal view, I no longer punt at Methven due to the constant track conditions. You do know everyone asks the question why horses do not charge from the back like they used to? Is the reason the track upgrade? Funny having the longest grass straight, yet only favours those on pace? 

20 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Well, Methven never get the crowds Mot get, not sure why your annoyed with that. 

Just my personal view, I no longer punt at Methven due to the constant track conditions. You do know everyone asks the question why horses do not charge from the back like they used to? Is the reason the track upgrade? Funny having the longest grass straight, yet only favours those on pace? 

Each to their own, but personally I very seldom bet at Motukarara because of the crossing. Clearly we are in a minority as both Motukarara and Methven punch well above their weight when in comes to GBR and the return to our industry,  as you will be aware any weekday meeting is on a hiding to nothing but Methven has produced turnovers over a million with great GBR over the last 3 years. As for race patterns with the rating system and a good programmer racing like with like why would horse's come from last.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

Each to their own, but personally I very seldom bet at Motukarara because of the crossing. Clearly we are in a minority as both Motukarara and Methven punch well above their weight when in comes to GBR and the return to our industry,  as you will be aware any weekday meeting is on a hiding to nothing but Methven has produced turnovers over a million with great GBR over the last 3 years. As for race patterns with the rating system and a good programmer racing like with like why would horse's come from last.

Some tracks do have rough crossings but i think motukarara's is pretty good. I often wonder whether the occasional horse that breaks there is as much about horses noticing the change in colour of the  grassed surface of the crossing.  

Personally i don't worry about whether horses come from the back anywhere myself. I only worry about where they finish.If they are good enough to come from well back but not quite get there,then its up to the driver to make a move a bit earlier.

I also think harness racing,like any out door sport is best on warm days. I guess some peoples plans for the day may be effected,but i'm sure the majority who intended going today will look forward to going on a warmer day next week. The only down side would be if it impacted the size of the fields for other meetings next week. 

Also,i think taking into consideration how a track will hold up if it did get rain on the day,is a valid thing to consider.  Grass tracks that get cut up due to racing on wet  ground effectes the future quality of that tracks racing surface. Methven gets a lot of use with their trials and workouts as well.So why wouldn't it be a consideration when they can run the meeting a few days later and not cause that issue.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

All good, I’m not here  to rough you up. You do a lot of good for the harness game, we will agree to disagree, good luck for Weds

Edited by Newmarket
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

All good, I’m not here  to rough you up. You do a lot of good for the harness game, we will agree to disagree, good luck for Weds

Cheers , weather looks great now , we did try and make it a twilight meeting when we were planning it but they needed the tote gear back earlier,  bugga

11 hours ago, Nowornever said:

Pussies!  Ran in mud up the knees in my day. Fine day forecast as well from midday.

Yep think I  remember a few days  on the coast many a year back, Go Duke a horse that springs to mind, but was many a year ago.