Bit Of A Yarn

Question for Chief?

Walt

Re the Hill family.

I assumed Brian is the son of Joe. I'm assuming Kirstie is the daughter of Brian but possibly George?. I'm assuming George is Brian's brother?

Probably a silly question but is the naming of Hill Street in Richmond connected to the family?

I know George was the regular driver of Single Lord but unsure if he was also the driver of McShane prior to Ray Norton taking over?

George owns the handy horse "Blue Rock Dancer" in the Hope Stable and races in his colours. 

Winning at Nelson is still a nice target for ex local trainers so I've been keeping an eye on likely candidates for the popular January meeting. Blue Rock Dancer ran a very nice race just behind the place getters @ the Mot yesterday so is in the black book for Nelson. 

Noticed a horse of Dunn's win yesterday. "Divine Angel"...she started at 2-6 in the betting so somebody got plenty. She won easily so is in the groove. No doubt she will also be returning to Nelson next month. She won her only other race at Nelson in January with Bob Butt driving. Paid about $10. I was told by three different shirt pullers to get on board @ Nelson when she won. I know of some decent bets pulled off with her that day so well worth keeping a close eye on next month.  

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Re the Hill family.

I assumed Brian is the son of Joe. I'm assuming Kirstie is the daughter of Brian but possibly George?. I'm assuming George is Brian's brother?

Probably a silly question but is the naming of Hill Street in Richmond connected to the family?

I know George was the regular driver of Single Lord but unsure if he was also the driver of McShane prior to Ray Norton taking over?

George owns the handy horse "Blue Rock Dancer" in the Hope Stable and races in his colours. 

Winning at Nelson is still a nice target for ex local trainers so I've been keeping an eye on likely candidates for the popular January meeting. Blue Rock Dancer ran a very nice race just behind the place getters @ the Mot yesterday so is in the black book for Nelson. 

Noticed a horse of Dunn's win yesterday. "Divine Angel"...she started at 2-6 in the betting so somebody got plenty. She won easily so is in the groove. No doubt she will also be returning to Nelson next month. She won her only other race at Nelson in January with Bob Butt driving. Paid about $10. I was told by three different shirt pullers to get on board @ Nelson when she won. I know of some decent bets pulled off with her that day so well worth keeping a close eye on next month.  

Kirstie is Brian's daughter Walt

Pretty sure that George Hill never won a race on McShane, I think Brian trusted himself to drive the trotters!

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Re the Hill family.

George and Brian are Joe's sons.  Kirstie is the daughter of Brian.  Don't know about Hill Street.  What I do know about Hill Street is in 1981 after a mate and me had a few fantas at the Star and Garter in Queen street Richmond we decided to do the "switch backs" down Hill Street.  The street used to go up and down like a roller coaster and we tried to get my Vauxhall Viva to go as fast as it could downhill and leave the ground going over the top.  We missed the dead end signs at the end of the road and went airborne thankfully ending up on a big pile of sawdust.  Effort to get it off with all the surrounding house lights coming on and before we got caught.  My dad couldn't work out where all the sawdust was coming from in the garage at home for weeks!

1 hour ago, Walt said:

know George was the regular driver of Single Lord but unsure if he was also the driver of McShane prior to Ray Norton taking over?

I don't recall George ever driving McShane.  The Royal Blue, White Sash & Black Sleeves silks I think belonged to Joe.  The first silks I can remember as my father's horse High Chapperall used run in them.

2 hours ago, Walt said:

That horse goes all the way back to Staggers which was bred by Peter Malone - the local vet.  I'm pretty sure it was in the Hill stable in the early 80's.

2 hours ago, Walt said:

I was also a week late starting school as Dad took the family on a yearly sojourn on the Nelson/Blenheim harness circuit.  I remember many a trip getting back to Hokitika crammed up next to cases of peaches from the orchard next door to the Hills and lots of other produce from Robinsons.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

George and Brian are Joe's sons.  Kirstie is the daughter of Brian.  Don't know about Hill Street.  What I do know about Hill Street is in 1981 after a mate and me had a few fantas at the Star and Garter in Queen street Richmond we decided to do the "switch backs" down Hill Street.  The street used to go up and down like a roller coaster and we tried to get my Vauxhall Viva to go as fast as it could downhill and leave the ground going over the top.  We missed the dead end signs at the end of the road and went airborne thankfully ending up on a big pile of sawdust.  Effort to get it off with all the surrounding house lights coming on and before we got caught.  My dad couldn't work out where all the sawdust was coming from in the garage at home for weeks!

I don't recall George ever driving McShane.  The Royal Blue, White Sash & Black Sleeves silks I think belonged to Joe.  The first silks I can remember as my father's horse High Chapperall used run in them.

That horse goes all the way back to Staggers which was bred by Peter Malone - the local vet.  I'm pretty sure it was in the Hill stable in the early 80's.

I was also a week late starting school as Dad took the family on a yearly sojourn on the Nelson/Blenheim harness circuit.  I remember many a trip getting back to Hokitika crammed up next to cases of peaches from the orchard next door to the Hills and lots of other produce from Robinsons.

Great stuff Chief. Fills in some big gaps in my knowledge there. 

Lot's of stories to be told about the switch backs :) 

I remember trying to travel back in time on my old 750 Triumph Bonneville with a mate alongside on his Trident. Those were the days I didn't think too much about tomorrow so caring about today was not a priority........right up until coming back up a switch back and seeing a nervous looking sheep on the side of the road just ahead who decided to make a last second dash to the other side of the road. We kept our bikes upright but only just missed the sheep somehow. Almost needed a new pair of pants and the heart took a while to get back to beating normally. 

The old Star & Garter was a regular watering hole back in the day. The fact they had multiple pool tables lifted the appeal level.

Was shocked to see just how much Richmond has grown when I came back last year. Some I've spoken to love the change. Some hate it especially the time it can take getting around. The fact they have a Pak n Save and a K Mart in Richmond but not in Nelson tells a story. We routinely go to the Silky Otter movie theatre over the road from Richmond Racecourse.

I'm not sure Staggers ever raced but do know she was by Lordship and produced Ok Fella who won his share in the deep South. 

I remember Peter Malone well. Not only was he a well known Vet but he was also the Mayor of Nelson all through the 1980's. I remember him racing a horse called Hulabaloo in the late 1970's and managed to win a race late in her career . She picked up numerous placings. Not sure where that win came. Maybe Victoria Park. Shame they don't race there any more. Wasn't flash but I always enjoyed our trips there. Back in the day when it was not rare for horses to start twice in a night. You needed to be handy turning in to have a chance. 

I remember Robinson's orchards. If you wanted fruit in Nelson, chances are it came from Robinsons. 

Do you recall an old boy named Jack Cameron? By the look of him you'd think he owned a bakery but fairly sure Real Estate was his thing but maybe even that was to just fund his punting, especially on harness :) 

High Chaparral won his share in the 1970's. He won a two mile race at Nelson on the grass in 1973 with George Hill doing the driving as a junior driver. Paid $14 so hope you had a dollar on. Was your dad D.J? 

With those colours it will bring back nice memories to see Blue Sky Lady win @ Nelson.

Edited by Walt
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Walt said:

High Chaparral won his share in the 1970's. He won a two mile race at Nelson on the grass in 1973 with George Hill doing the driving as a junior driver. Paid $14 so hope you had a dollar on. Was your dad D.J? 

I remember that two mile race well.  Jack O'Donnell was the commentator.  Dad got a tape of the race and I played it and played it until I wore it out.  Could recite the whole race from start to finish.  Now I can only remember about the last 600m!  Easy to remember an O'Donnell commentary as it was like a story.

High Chapparal won a couple of good races at Addington beating some very useful types like Micron and Trevira.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

33 minutes ago, Walt said:

Do you recall an old boy named Jack Cameron? By the look of him you'd think he owned a bakery but fairly sure Real Estate was his thing but maybe even that was to just fund his punting, especially on harness :) 

Yes remember him.  Always there or thereabouts looking for a tip.  Joe Hill like setting a horse for a punt and Dad liked to too.  No skulduggery just how you placed your horse and trained it.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Walt said:

I remember him racing a horse called Hulabaloo in the late 1970's and managed to win a race late in her career .

I think that was the horse Peter Malone was driving at Blenheim when he went for a gap and the gap closed about 150m out.  His horse went down he went over the top and a few followed.  He was knocked out and a few other injuries.  Peter was a tall guy and a bit like Slim Dykman with his knees nearly up around his ears when in a sulky - I can still see him being thrown forward from the sulky.  I worked a summer holidays at the vet clinic - the biggest memory being fainting when "assisting" in the operating theatre while a vet did a caesarian on a doe.  Mother and fawn got through the operation better than I did!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Walt said:

The old Star & Garter was a regular watering hole back in the day. The fact they had multiple pool tables lifted the appeal level.

The same night as I mentioned earlier we had finished work on the market garden/orchard and headed to the Slut and Gutter to play pool.  Unfortunately the local patched bikie gang was in full attendence around the tables.  My mate was called Richard - so he went up (we were fairly brave in those days) and put our names on the board - Dick & Doug.  The bikies thought it was hilarious.  So they rubbed everyone's name off the board and filled it with variations - like Dickhead & Dugup and so on.  They wouldn't let us leave the table as our names were always up next.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The same night as I mentioned earlier we had finished work on the market garden/orchard and headed to the Slut and Gutter to play pool.  Unfortunately the local patched bikie gang was in full attendence around the tables.  My mate was called Richard - so he went up (we were fairly brave in those days) and put our names on the board - Dick & Doug.  The bikies thought it was hilarious.  So they rubbed everyone's name off the board and filled it with variations - like Dickhead & Dugup and so on.  They wouldn't let us leave the table as our names were always up next.

Jack O'Donnell was a superb caller both with the gallops and trots. I still remember his phrases. "This time" to start the race and when reading the dividends it was the win machine and the place machine. Would love to hear a recording of one of his calls. What a bummer you didn't transfer the Nelson victory from VHS to DVD. 

Pretty sure he called mud lark galloper Mr Richmond home for me on the Coast down the outside running rail.

Jack raced Cup Class Pacer Happy Asset with Tim Butt. He won the 1999 Auckland Cup beating Yulestar. I didn't back him but was stoked for Jack.

Funny how you can remember chapter and verse of races that are important to us. 

I remember Micron by Lordship well who Jack Carmichael usually drove and Trevira for the Hamilton's down South. He was 3rd in Lord Modules 1979 NZ Cup and ran in Hands Down's 1980 Cup. Both horses won a stack of races between them so great effort by High Chaparral to have rolled them. 

I remember Peter Malone being tall so looked less than natural in the bike. Pretty sure Trevor Boyd was also tall and drove in a similar style. I knew his son Kerry. Trevor had an average trotter called Tutaki Rodney. Form was usually 000P00P. Think he ended up winning one or two races in the Cambridge area and then being exported.

I can vaguely remember the Peter Malone crash at Waterlea. Can definitely recall Murray Pash getting airborne by the finish line at either Nelson or the West Coast. 

Setting a horse up for a punt can be an art form. I've had the benefit of three I think. Two came off and the other backfired. You still need luck. Nothing dodgy and I'm sure many trainers have placeD their horse in a way that results in a nice payday via the tote...or bookie. I know of one unfolding at the moment for Nelson. 

Back when I left Nelson in the early 1980's the only gig in town for the likely lads was The Lost Breed. I knew a couple of the old boys and stayed friends with them but they are all toes up now. They stood out mostly because they were the only bikers in Nelson but apart from a couple of loose cannons they were mostly harmless. A big surprise to me returning to Nelson was to see all the gangs down here...apart from The Lost Breed who have either died off or been taken over. Hopefully the new Government will make a positive difference there. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Walt said:

Jack O'Donnell was a superb caller both with the gallops and trots. I still remember his phrases. "This time" to start the race and when reading the dividends it was the win machine and the place machine. Would love to hear a recording of one of his calls. What a bummer you didn't transfer the Nelson victory from VHS to DVD. 

Pretty sure he called mud lark galloper Mr Richmond home for me on the Coast down the outside running rail.

Jack raced Cup Class Pacer Happy Asset with Tim Butt. He won the 1999 Auckland Cup beating Yulestar. I didn't back him but was stoked for Jack.

Funny how you can remember chapter and verse of races that are important to us. 

I remember Micron by Lordship well who Jack Carmichael usually drove and Trevira for the Hamilton's down South. He was 3rd in Lord Modules 1979 NZ Cup and ran in Hands Down's 1980 Cup. Both horses won a stack of races between them so great effort by High Chaparral to have rolled them. 

I remember Peter Malone being tall so looked less than natural in the bike. Pretty sure Trevor Boyd was also tall and drove in a similar style. I knew his son Kerry. Trevor had an average trotter called Tutaki Rodney. Form was usually 000P00P. Think he ended up winning one or two races in the Cambridge area and then being exported.

I can vaguely remember the Peter Malone crash at Waterlea. Can definitely recall Murray Pash getting airborne by the finish line at either Nelson or the West Coast. 

Setting a horse up for a punt can be an art form. I've had the benefit of three I think. Two came off and the other backfired. You still need luck. Nothing dodgy and I'm sure many trainers have placeD their horse in a way that results in a nice payday via the tote...or bookie. I know of one unfolding at the moment for Nelson. 

Back when I left Nelson in the early 1980's the only gig in town for the likely lads was The Lost Breed. I knew a couple of the old boys and stayed friends with them but they are all toes up now. They stood out mostly because they were the only bikers in Nelson but apart from a couple of loose cannons they were mostly harmless. A big surprise to me returning to Nelson was to see all the gangs down here...apart from The Lost Breed who have either died off or been taken over. Hopefully the new Government will make a positive difference there. 

Good tales here boys, that’s what the game is all about. 
Funny you mentioned Happy Asset, pretty sure Blair Orange won his first ever race when it won its maiden race.

2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Good tales here boys, that’s what the game is all about. 
Funny you mentioned Happy Asset, pretty sure Blair Orange won his first ever race when it won its maiden race.

I can't see that being correct Newmarket

I think Anthony Butt drove Happy Asset to win nearly every race he won, including his 1st win

Mike

On 12/3/2023 at 9:31 AM, Walt said:

I know George was the regular driver of Single Lord

Here's your boy Walt .... Single Lord and George Hill in 1979. won 6 races that season. which i believe is pretty good for Nz style of racing.....and then 2 more race wins as a five year old the following season,  before being exported to USA.

I'm still fascinated that you put Lord Module (career 28 wins from 93 starts as the best horse you have seen) I wouldn't put him in my top 50 . I would even put Enterprise ( by Lordship as well as Lord Module and Single Lord ) well ahead of the naughty Module horse . Enterprise nearly sneaking into my top 50. 

I've seen some pretty good horses though . (Gammalite not even top 10 , but probably top 20) 

DSC03110.JPG

• Champ Post 1

33 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Here's your boy Walt .... Single Lord and George Hill in 1979. won 6 races that season. which i believe is pretty good for Nz style of racing.....and then 2 more race wins as a five year old the following season,  before being exported to USA.

I'm still fascinated that you put Lord Module (career 28 wins from 93 starts as the best horse you have seen) I wouldn't put him in my top 50 . I would even put Enterprise ( by Lordship as well as Lord Module and Single Lord ) well ahead of the naughty Module horse . Enterprise nearly sneaking into my top 50. 

I've seen some pretty good horses though . (Gammalite not even top 10 , but probably top 20) 

DSC03110.JPG

Lovely horse.  Won a New Brighton Cup if I remember correctly.

53 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

DSC03110.JPG

Cheers Gammalite. It's been many moons since I laid eyes on him

20 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Lovely horse.  Won a New Brighton Cup if I remember correctly.

Not sure it was a New Brighton Cup Chief. 

The only year it could have been was 1980 and he finished midfield behind.......Lord Module. What a great field it was that year. Some terrific horses.

I do remember Single Lord winning a decent race at Addington.

Found a race he won at Thames run at Alexandra Park in 1979 where he beat Graikos, Greg Robinson and Delightful Lady

New Brighton T.C.

Saturday, 16 February 1980

Race 7 - New Brighton Cup, $8000, OC PACE, 3200m

Weather:
Fine
Track:
Fast  (Addington Raceway)
    Race History
SHOW STIPES
Participants for Race 7: New Brighton Cup
Place Book Horse Barrier Hcap Stakes Fav Time Margin Driver Trainer
1 1 Lord Module   fr 5,200.00 1/2 4-09.2   C C Devine Cecil Devine
2 2 Trevira   fr 1,600.00 6/7     G W Hamilton (J)  
3 3 Locarno   fr 800.00 5/5     R D Butt  
4 4 Roydon Scott   fr 400.00 3/3     W F Fletcher  
5 5 Timely Robin   fr 0.00 13/12        
6 6 Rocky Tryax   fr 0.00 7/6        
7 7 Canis Minor   fr 0.00 11/10        
8 8 Miss Pert   fr 0.00 8/8        
9 9 Sapling   fr 0.00 2/1        
10 10 Not A Chance   fr 0.00 12/13        
11 11 Single Lord(1974)   fr 0.00 10/11        
12 12 Bad Luck   fr 0.00 9/9        
13 13 Crow Bar   fr 0.00 4/4        
14 14 Sun Seeker(1973)   fr 0.00 14/14        
Total Stakes: $8,000.00

Thames Trotting Club

Saturday, 8 December 1979
Race 6 - Rolfe Memorial Handicap, $6000, C8 & FASTER PACE, 2700m

Weather:
Fine
Track:
Fast  (Alexandra Park)

SHOW STIPES
Participants for Race 6: Rolfe Memorial Handicap
Place Book Horse Barrier Hcap Stakes Fav Time Margin Driver Trainer
1 1 Single Lord(1974)   fr 3,750.00 6/6 3-35.7   W S Hill Brian Hill
2 9 Katy's Command   10m 1,200.00 3/3     H P Timmins  
3 2 Graikos   fr 600.00 1/1     S A Ballantyne  
4 3 Tom Pepper(1972)   fr 300.00 7/5     P T Wolfenden MBE  
5 10 Ginger Megs   10m 150.00 11/11        
6 11 Myron(1972)   10m 0.00 14/15        
7 12 Captain Pete   10m 0.00 15/14        
8 16 Greg Robinson   20m 0.00 4/4        
9 18 Delightful Lady   30m 0.00 2/2        
10 4 Crescent Moon   fr 0.00 12/13        
11 13 Van James   10m 0.00 8/10        
12 14 Al Summer   10m 0.00 9/9        
13 15 Uncle Andrew   10m 0.00 5/7        
14 17 Gold Rand   20m 0.00 13/12        
15 5 Alec Peterson   fr 0.00 10/8

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Walt said:

The only year it could have been was 1980 and he finished midfield behind.......Lord Module. What a great field it was that year. Some terrific horses.

Now that you put up that victory Walt , I'm sure you saw Lord Module several times.

I think my problem is being in Auckland didn't ever see him win. so i guess i shouldn't be bagging him on you.    Delightful lady 'Playing' with him in a couple of Auckland Cups .

But credit where credit is due ... Your mate second here and the next 4 horses behind him near some of the best to ever race out of Nz . including a couple of Miracle Mile winners there in Quinny and Locarno. 

The Grandstand nearly EXPLODED this night mate. I still have hearing issues from the noise I think 😂🤣 .... was louder than a Collingwood goal to win an AFL final ...

DSC03111.JPG

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Now that you put up that victory Walt , I'm sure you saw Lord Module several times.

I think my problem is being in Auckland didn't ever see him win. so i guess i shouldn't be bagging him on you.    Delightful lady 'Playing' with him in a couple of Auckland Cups .

But credit where credit is due ... Your mate second here and the next 4 horses behind him near some of the best to ever race out of Nz . including a couple of Miracle Mile winners there in Quinny and Locarno. 

The Grandstand nearly EXPLODED this night mate. I still have hearing issues from the noise I think 😂🤣 .... was louder than a Collingwood goal to win an AFL final ...

DSC03111.JPG

Delightful Lady was a wonderful mare and at her peak was extremely hard to hold out. ...in saying that, Lord Module was not a front runner. All his best wins he finished over the top of them.

Speaking of the Lady. My strongest memory of her was also in 1980 when she and a young Pete Jones driving old Bill "Hands Down" put a gap into them turning in. Looked for a moment like The Lady had Hands Down but DG and Pete were not to be denied. I can't believe a piece I read recently about the best 10 NZ Cups and Hands Down beating Delightful Lady didn't even get a mention. The race is on VHS and when it's transferred to DVD will post it on YouTube and here. 

Had a fascinating chat with Pete about that Cup. Awesome guy who I have big respect for. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2023 at 9:05 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Single Lord did win 5 in a row then two seconds and a win out of 8 starts.  Not so easy in those days with true Handicap racing.

Hey Chief,

You mentioned Single Lord being a gentleman and the Hill family being very upset at his premature demise. Did you know how that came about? 

Was my fav horse out of Nelson and for good reason. He was a beauty