Bit Of A Yarn

Warren Kennedy you're on FIRE!

36 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Stupid reply…,have you had a good look at it or not….. average riding 

Yes. The head on will tell more but he appeared to be alert to the impending danger. The horse went down on its haunches. I doubt anyone would have stayed on.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes. The head on will tell more but he appeared to be alert to the impending danger. The horse went down on its haunches. I doubt anyone would have stayed on.

CWJ would have stayed on even after a night on the juice…

10 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

CWJ would have stayed on even after a night on the juice…

You might be right, though I've seen him fall out of the passenger seat of a stationery car after that. From memory however, he stayed on OK later in the day and won a Group race.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

CWJ is an unfair comparison.  His balance is/was unbelievable.  I've seen him, first time ever on water-skis, stay put despite all efforts to tip him off.  Incredible.

As Curious has pointed out, the head-on will tell us more. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chief me old mate, 

You have gone quiet over ya old mate Warren? Had great book at Riccarton yesterday with several warm favs, strike rate not so good now, just imagine if he had just the average rides like many jockeys. Good for punting thou, just bet against him!

18 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Hey Chief me old mate, 

You have gone quiet over ya old mate Warren? Had great book at Riccarton yesterday with several warm favs, strike rate not so good now, just imagine if he had just the average rides like many jockeys. Good for punting thou, just bet against him!

I thought you said Kennedy was off to OZ?  9 wins in front on the Premiership, 14 Group and listed wins, $4.2m in Stakes and a strike rate of 5.69 second only to one Owen Patrick Bosson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I thought you said Kennedy was off to OZ?  9 wins in front on the Premiership, 14 Group and listed wins, $4.2m in Stakes and a strike rate of 5.69 second only to one Owen Patrick Bosson.

Read my post, recently going very average. Funny thou, him and OP always have good rides, they should ride more winners that they do.

2 hours ago, Special Agent said:

Gee Newmarket, did you get out of bed on the wrong side today?

I feel you won't be happy till Chris Johnson is back riding.  I agree with your opinion of his riding but, do you have to bag every other jockey while he's out?

Not bagging every jockey, just sticking up for the battling jockeys that get crap to average horses to ride each week, yet perform well. 

2 hours ago, Special Agent said:

Gee Newmarket, did you get out of bed on the wrong side today?

I feel you won't be happy till Chris Johnson is back riding.  I agree with your opinion of his riding but, do you have to bag every other jockey while he's out?

Chris Johnson? Surely he won’t be back riding again?

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Not bagging every jockey, just sticking up for the battling jockeys that get crap to average horses to ride each week, yet perform well. 

Which ones do you think "ride well"?

As in if you had a choice would you put Opie up or one that "rides well"?

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

I agree with you here too but, I don't think your "sticking up for the battling jockeys" is the same as running down the jockeys who are perceived to be better and actually do get on the better mounts.

If you watch a "better" rider on a slow horse they look as bad, and sometimes worse, than the "out of favour" jockey.  I certainly think Chris Johnson is gifted, I have employed him myself and wondered how he got the best out of some of them.   In fact, I didn't know some could run that fast, as they didn't for anyone else.  Likewise, Damien Oliver as an example, could extract an enormous amount out of some horses.

The question Chief poses of would you put Opie on?  He too is a gifted rider, in a different way to Chris or Damien in my opinion, but there is always a chance you will get to the races and he will be overweight or dehydrated and not fulfill the engagement.  I'm not saying Opie specifically but, I have also employed the top or near the top premiership riders and some of those could not care less as it was an undercard ride booked by their agent, and rode my horse like it had no chance, until the race was nearly over.

Sometimes the hungry jockey is the one who will put your horse in the race and ride it like the horse, trainer and owner matter.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

31 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

put Opie on?  He too is a gifted rider, in a different way to Chris or Damien in my opinion, but there is always a chance you will get to the races and he will be overweight or dehydrated and not fulfill the engagement.

I'd rather take the risk than have an average Jockey on board.

33 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

I have also employed the top or near the top premiership riders and some of those could not care less as it was an undercard ride booked by their agent, and rode my horse like it had no chance, until the race was nearly over.

They don't get to the top of the premiership by not caring less.  Often they have to ride poorly prepared and poorly educated horses who the trainer has an overly optimistic opinion of.