Bit Of A Yarn

Harness Trainers Vrs Gallop Trainers

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

Norms Daughter owners decent stingers it seems.

More than 25 years later 250K in cash was found in Kellie Kersleys broom closet.

Thought for a moment might have been the only Lady driver to win it . As Nat was well beat with Lazarus one year and Blacks A Fake didn't Win it . (narrow 2nd)

But you can't hold Nat back for too long and she did win our feature The Miracle Mile with 'Have Faith In Me' and the Vic Kate Gath won it last year I see as well (Catch A Wave)  without The King of Swing running around winning it anymore.  

19 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Mike Stormont trained gallopers? 

A man of many talents is Michael ..

training Not just Gallopers and the champ Delightful Lady , but Human Athletes too 😁 ..

This one he's putting through her paces, going on to winning a Silver Medal for New Zealand at the Commonwealth Games in the 3000m . A delightful result !!

DSC03131.JPG

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Newmarket said:

John Vincent has also dabbled with gallopers a few years back. 

Seems a huge increase in Canterbury Harness trainers giving the other code a go, not so many other way around?

Some will disagree, but it isnt hard to train gallopers!

They can either gallop or they cant!

Yes there are other bits to it but most trainers just use jockeys and dont ride them themselves!

Too old or heavy lol!

Galloping is a natural gait where pacing and trotting isnt, as far as I am aware?

I suppose Yulestar is the one that stands out for me. 
Nolan was a gallops trainer at the time when Yulestar arrived, from memory was a bit wayward early but once it started to race well it progressed into a great stayer. Add in Todd Mitchell who up until then had not been associated with anything of note, then you have small town trainer with unknown driver winning the big ones. 
I flew over to Brisbane for the Inters that he won, bookies offered huge odds for him, sadly only had a saver on him as thought he was up against it from draw. Gaps came and he powered home to win. 

Did Mitchell and Nolen fall out after this, sort of remember something happened. Then horse went to US, won a few early but then battled in low class races, not sure if he was sold or not, but really those that had him at the end got a bit greedy.