Bit Of A Yarn

Harness Trainers Vrs Gallop Trainers

It seems we have always had Harness Trainers dabbling in Training gallopers, recently with Mark Jones and Michael House going well in this code. I would have thought Mark Purdon would have trained a winner yet, but not close yet. 

My question is, we do not see many Gallops Trainers having a go with the harness horses, but when they do they don’t just win a race, they are top class horses. Below are a few I can remember, others will know more! 

Harnetts Creek- J Parsons

Dillon Dale-Don Dwyer

Yulestar- L Nolen 

What other good horses can anyone remember, either code dabbling on the other side, maybe there are some good gallopers that harness trainers have trained 👍

22 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Robbie Holmes now has started into the gallopers, he has 3 in work according to a recent video interview.

Had some in today miss onaki, leah jet the later was 4th or 5th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Shad, Brodie can you think of a Harness trainer that has trained a good galloper that has won at least 5 races? 

Lol I dont even look at the gallops!

John Coaster Howe, was involved with that steeplechaser or hurdler that won plenty, but dont think he trained it in his name?

Think it was a grey?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Shad, Brodie can you think of a Harness trainer that has trained a good galloper that has won at least 5 races? 

Have to be like the gynecologist and look into that one, nothing springs to mind, my old uncle would know one for sure,  but he's dead at the moment 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Newmarket said:

It seems we have always had Harness Trainers dabbling in Training gallopers, recently with Mark Jones and Michael House going well in this code. I would have thought Mark Purdon would have trained a winner yet, but not close yet. 

My question is, we do not see many Gallops Trainers having a go with the harness horses, but when they do they don’t just win a race, they are top class horses. Below are a few I can remember, others will know more! 

Harnetts Creek- J Parsons

Dillon Dale-Don Dwyer

Yulestar- L Nolen 

What other good horses can anyone remember, either code dabbling on the other side, maybe there are some good gallopers that harness trainers have trained 👍

I can give you about 15 off top of my head but if I post you may start smelling rats as you have done previous with me !

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Newmarket said:

I think Roy Purdon had a goodie, but its name escapes me.  Also Todd Mitchell?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Newmarket said:

What other good horses can anyone remember, either code dabbling on the other side, maybe there are some good gallopers that harness trainers have trained

There's one bloke who did it at the TOP level of both codes, that will never be achieved again IMO.

Fred Kersley Jnr from West Australia . Topped the drivers list in harness racing 17 times and the Trainers list on 14 occasions . In 1987 he drove the Australian record 148 winners including 136 Metropolitan winners (a record that possibly still stands for metro wins in one season )

In 1989 after several attempts to the WA turf club a training  licence was achieved and he immeadiately won a race with Little Hero in July 1989. dual racing code training for a decade 

then >>>>>>>>>> 

At the turn of the century he reached Stardom as Fred trained NORTHERLY to win the famous Railway Stakes at home then went to Flemington and Won the Australia Cup 3 months later in the fastest 2000m ever run in Australia . 2001 and 4 out of 4 wins in the Melbourne Spring carnival including the Cox Plate , defeating the New Zealand Champion Sunline , who had won the Cox Plate (the biggest WFA race we have) the 2 previous years.  Northerly winning 2 as well , taking victory in the 2002 Cox Plate to seal the deal as a Hall of Famer.

Mark Purdon is fantastic (near best in the world in harness horse training and driving) but can't see him winning Cox Plates at any stage so Fred will be the most successful  DUAL Code Trainer for All time (probably) 

• Like 6
  • Champ Post 1

13 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Fred Kersley Jnr from West Australia . Topped the drivers list in harness racing 17 times and the Trainers list on 14 occasions . In 1987 he drove the Australian record 148 winners including 136 Metropolitan winners (a record that possibly still stands for metro wins in one season ) 

Sired a Miracle Mile winning driver.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gammalite said:

There's one bloke who did it at the TOP level of both codes, that will never be achieved again IMO.

In 1989 after several attempts to the WA turf club a training  licence was achieved and he immeadiately won a race with Little Hero in July 1989. dual racing code training for a decade 

then >>>>>>>>>> 

At the turn of the century he reached Stardom as Fred trained NORTHERLY to win the famous Railway Stakes at home then went to Flemington and Won the Australia Cup 3 months later in the fastest 2000m ever run in Australia . 2001 and 4 out of 4 wins in the Melbourne Spring carnival including the Cox Plate , defeating the New Zealand Champion Sunline , who had won the Cox Plate (the biggest WFA race we have) the 2 previous years.  Northerly winning 2 as well , taking victory in the 2002 Cox Plate to seal the deal as a Hall of Famer.

Mark Purdon is fantastic (near best in the world in harness horse training and driving) but can't see him winning Cox Plates at any stage so Fred will be the most successful  DUAL Code Trainer for All time (probably) 

Good one

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Try and post 15, that would be good

I'll try.....

Of course MHouse , Kevin James won races on Tuesday and MJones and RHolmes on Coast as well.

Other active Cantabs are Trent Yesberg and Lyn Prendergast .

Around Auckland there has been Barry Purdon , Michelle Wallis and Steven Reid [ his horse Firoden done quite well in Southland since he sent it and his mate down a couple of years back.

Up north.....Sue Martin.

In Waikato there currently is Todd Mitchell and Jo Stevens ,the new breed.

And the master of them all GRogerson.

You mention 3 x of the most prominent .....Mrs L Nolan ,DDwyer and J.Parsons.

Waimate had one back in the day...Dick Langford and Central Otago MHamilton.
Plenty other whose Families involved in both so likely some very close cross overs...eg Beck,Stapleton , Sid Brown ,Ballyntine , Courts....all Southern families ,then others who need closer analysis. eg Diane Kennedy , KFoley in North.

You a bit tough on Mark Purdon, only had a handful of starters and had at least 3 x placings including a couple on premier days .

I'm sure a lot more will pop up if MHouse and DMcCarthy join in ....they will know a lot that have batted for both sides !

And wouldn't be surprised if Mikie from Blenheim gave it a crack !

• Like 4

On 10/01/2024 at 6:20 AM, Freda said:

Pat corby, the trainer of Grey Way. I had an uncle who used to go fishing a lot with him and maurice jones.

At one point i recall he had 4 good jockeys that worked for him at the same time and another apprentice.Snooky Cowan,Harold Pateman,Pat Collins and doug Holden.All white guys.

You don't see that these days. 

Actually snooky cowans father,acka trained and drove a few harness horses after he retired from riding,including a couple of nice horses. 

II remember i played rugby with snooky when i was a kid when i lived in that area.. A really good guy.anyway the galloping trainers and jockeys from that area all followed the trots back then,i think more than most galloping trainers do these days.  

those were the days.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, the galah said:

Pat corby, the trainer of Grey Way. I had an uncle who used to go fishing a lot with him and maurice jones.

At one point i recall he had 4 good jockeys that worked for him at the same time and another apprentice.Snooky Cowan,Harold Pateman,Pat Collins and doug Holden.All white guys.

You don't see that these days. 

Actually snooky cowans father,acka trained and drove a few harness horses after he retired from riding,including a couple of nice horses. 

II remember i played rugby with snooky when i was a kid when i lived in that area.. A really good guy.anyway the galloping trainers and jockeys from that area all followed the trots back then,i think more than most galloping trainers do these days.  

those were the days.

Agreed , yes Acker Cowan was in my next list if I challenged for a few more names.

Brian Gliddon ditto and one of well known Beckett family too !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

I'll try.....

Of course MHouse , Kevin James won races on Tuesday and MJones and RHolmes on Coast as well.

Other active Cantabs are Trent Yesberg and Lyn Prendergast .

Around Auckland there has been Barry Purdon , Michelle Wallis and Steven Reid [ his horse Firoden done quite well in Southland since he sent it and his mate down a couple of years back.

Up north.....Sue Martin.

In Waikato there currently is Todd Mitchell and Jo Stevens ,the new breed.

You mention 3 x of the most prominent .....Mrs L Nolan ,DDwyer and J.Parsons.

Waimate had one back in the day...Dick Langford and Central Otago MHamilton.
Plenty other whose Families involved in both so likely some very close cross overs...eg Beck,Stapleton , Sid Brown ,Ballyntine , Courts....all Southern families ,then others who need closer analysis. eg Diane Kennedy , KFoley in North.

You a bit tough on Mark Purdon, only had a handful of starters and had at least 3 x placings including a couple on premier days .

I'm sure a lot more will pop up if MHouse and DMcCarthy join in ....they will know a lot that have batted for both sides !

And wouldn't be surprised if Mikie from Blenheim gave it a crack !

Good one 👍

10 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

of course . Graeme Rogerson . He is an amazing man . (and did win Cox Plate like Kersley too ) Think  he (Graeme) won a Melbourne Cup too.

And still has the trotters going well (guess Dylan doing most of the work there) but still winning Derbies these days with the Thoroughbreds . Sharp N Smart winning on both sides of the Tasman.

The Master Horseman alright . Found those gallopers too hard to work out myself 

Am sure wife Debbie helped him heaps along the way too . What a Team!! 🏆

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

of course . Graeme Rogerson . He is an amazing man . (and did win Cox Plate like Kersley too ) Think  he (Graeme) won a Melbourne Cup too.

And still has the trotters going well (guess Dylan doing most of the work there) but still winning Derbies these days with the Thoroughbreds . Sharp N Smart winning on both sides of the Tasman.

The Master Horseman alright . Found those gallopers too hard to work out myself 

Am sure wife Debbie helped him heaps along the way too . What a Team!! 🏆

Golden Slipper with Polar Success