Bit Of A Yarn

Great to See Ellerslie Back in action

2 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

I imagine a majority  of winners everywhere come from the first 6 or 7 runners.

That's why I like Moonee Valley - with that camber the entire field can start bunching from the school to the final bend and sling hook for home.

They've never been able to do that at Ellerslie.  Shame that instead of selling all the silver they used some of that land to reshape the course.  

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's why I like Moonee Valley - with that camber the entire field can start bunching from the school to the final bend and sling hook for home.

They've never been able to do that at Ellerslie.  Shame that instead of selling all the silver they used some of that land to reshape the course.  

I did find it interesting that they keep saying they didn't change a thing just laid a new surface. I'm certainly not an expert on Ellerslie, I've only been there about a dozen times, but surely there must have been something they could have fixed while they were spending all that money with the track closed. I'm a big fan of Corbould Park, it seems to be a brilliantly laid out track and winners came from everywhere there yesterday

2 minutes ago, Doomed said:

I did find it interesting that they keep saying they didn't change a thing just laid a new surface. I'm certainly not an expert on Ellerslie, I've only been there about a dozen times, but surely there must have been something they could have fixed while they were spending all that money with the track closed. I'm a big fan of Corbould Park, it seems to be a brilliantly laid out track and winners came from everywhere there yesterday

This is the old layout.  Would be great to overlay the "new" layout.  They don't seem to have done much to bend out of the home straight.  Still tight and up hill (might be wrong) so will be the same kamikaze race for positions 2000m and above.

The home bend is long with a sharp turn in and still downhill which isn't conducive to improving your position before the straight.  Horses seem to become unbalanced on the bend regardless of the track. Although I would have thought the new surface would have helped - perhaps the jocks are still riding on memory.

image.png

• Like 1