Bit Of A Yarn

Great to See Ellerslie Back in action

The beautiful Course is back in the swing of things today. Te Akau looking to get a few wins on the fast surface by the look of it.

Why didn't Avondale race more while the track was renovated at Ellerslie ?

It seems Pukekohe took up a lot of the slack past year and had a few good meetings. Good horse country around there anyway .

• Like 1

very fond of Ellerslie. Saw the great man Kenny Browne MBE win a few and was amazed at his Will to win.

I guess the famous hill is gone now ? that Kenny sent many of his jumpers over . a few more important houses I imagine . taking some prime real estate.

Was just watching the Hall of Fame legend here , check it out for some truly Inspiring stuff . One of NZ's greatest ever. brings a tear to your eye in the end.

Can't understand it Chief . The Te Akau ones were all beat on Friday , and just average today too.

why did Kennedy sit wide with 'Wild Night' like that in such a small field. with Legarto there he might as well dropped back behind her after the start.  that cooked his poor horse sitting wide outside her 😪

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Can't understand it Chief . The Te Akau ones were all beat on Friday , and just average today too.

why did Kennedy sit wide with 'Wild Night' like that in such a small field. with Legarto there he might as well dropped back behind her after the start.  that cooked his poor horse sitting wide outside her 😪

Totally agree, Kennedy average lately. 

One to watch next time… To Catch A Thief. Was going to be in the finish until gap closed late

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Well winners are coming from those up front…. Not seen many charging from the back winning. 

Not much in it in most races.

I don't know what the Jockeys are thinking but most of the races have been walk and sprint.  No wonder our horses struggle in OZ.

34 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Yes only six winners for the week and only one Grp 1.  Maybe they'll improve the average by picking a couple up tonight at Singapore.

Looked like a few jocks were getting a line of the track today, imagine things will be considerably different in 2 weeks time with the rail also in True position.

They don't half pump the Karaka Million night and also the track on trackside, reminds me a bit of the first race day on Cambridge AWT re: the hype around it. I'm sure it won't be a waste like that , well here is hoping.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Clipped heels I'd just forget it went around.

Gonna need to be something very special to beat that amazing mare though at any rate.

Was certainly strange seeing them race down the back straight,then catching a glimpse of the 'hill' when it used to be grass but now it's just dirt.,and even a fence going all the way down to where the Kenny Browne brush used to be. Sad that history has gone for good,but i guess for some history doesn't matter?. Anyway was good to see the track back in action.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Was certainly strange seeing them race down the back straight,then catching a glimpse of the 'hill' when it used to be grass but now it's just dirt.,and even a fence going all the way down to where the Kenny Browne brush used to be. Sad that history has gone for good,but i guess for some history doesn't matter?. Anyway was good to see the track back in action.

I thought the same thing.  Then I thought how small Ellerslie looks now.  Not one horse trained on the track and now they only have ONE turf track. 

The turf trial track now seems to have a tar seal road around the circumference.  Did anyone else notice the Ute driving on the tar seal in FRONT of the field?

I guess they won't run trials there so maybe they'll need Avondale after all.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

The turf trial track now seems to have a tar seal road around the circumference.  Did anyone else notice the Ute driving on the tar seal in FRONT of the field?

Saw that , was it filming the race?

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

I was right, very few made ground form the back yesterday….

Another leaders track, just what we need.

I don't think a judgement can be made until we see the race sectionals.  They ran good time over the 1600m and it would be hard to improve from anywhere.

What disappointed me though was they didn't reshape the track much nor level the contour when they did the work.  Ellerslie has always been a hard track to win from off the speed and in my opinion that's to do as much with the shape and contour of the track than the surface.

I also don't think many of the Jockeys adapted either.  Many didn't bustle their horses out early presumably because they felt the track would play even.

That said there were a few who flew home even when the race was run real quick. 

41 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

So which actual frontrunners ...won?

There is a difference between being up on the pace and actually leading. I think most of the winners raced handy, that was my impression anyhow.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doomed said:

There is a difference between being up on the pace and actually leading. I think most of the winners raced handy, that was my impression anyhow.

I imagine a majority  of winners everywhere come from the first 6 or 7 runners.

7 minutes ago, Doomed said:

Again you need to see the sectionals.  If the top horses are going fast evenly through the race then of course the winner comes from those that are on the pace.  Probably the reason Gai Waterhouse is doing so well at moment - all her horses are trained to get out quick and fast and sit on the pace.

The other scenario where on the pace works is when they walk for the first half of the race and sprint home.  I think there were a couple of races like that yesterday.

Add into the mix Jockeys ability to read pace and do something about it if it doesn't suit their charge.

Too many Jockeys get too scientific about what suits their horse and don't adapt to the conditions or the actual race pace.