Bit Of A Yarn

Brilliant Form Race

36 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Obviously not.

Well it's not obvious to me. Perhaps someone would enlighten us as to how many horses are actually working on these tracks on the average morning, especially during winter.

11 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

With the Wellington Cup around the corner....my favourite race ever.....a lot of YARNS are filling my head , most already recalled in recent YARNS . South Island racing folk really looked forward to Trentham racing.

In case you missed this link. Peter Kelly just made the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA6nfXJkAsc&t=1031s

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

Thanks ,a 45 mins well spent listening to it twice. My Dad flew me up from South Island for many of those....Midge Didham was our next door neighbour and his Dad [Old Arthur ...Igloo ....] was two blocks away. The Didhams were going to be my next YARN ! They still current ditto the Andertons !

Peter Kelly ...magic , freeflowing but of course no vdeos etc to check his accuracy.He had Il Tempo coming late !

A lot of Southerners there ,I'd forgot Young Arthur Didham had Golden Sam there and one year the South was second third and 4th.Palisade [Skipper Wilson] and two Ted Winsloe horses Red Siren and Cassarook.Of course the great Anderton horses Trelay and Princess Mellay ran places as well.

And several of my favourite Northern horses Duty Free , Whakamoa and Monastic[ Wanganui Ace ].

Peter got a few of his phrases from Dave Clarkson ....."putting in an appearance".

The most memorable Peter Kelly moment to me was when La Mer put 4 lengths on the NZ Oaks field in 2 or 3 strides !And my favourite race was when Oopik beat Furys Order in the Hawkes Bay Guineas , I could do that race in about 1min 40.In 1980's I was riding my motor scooter overseas and the cops pulled me over for speeding ,chasing me down after they clocked me while hidden behind a bush.They asked me what song I was singing at the top of my lungs .I said 'that wasn't a song it was the Hawkes Bay Guineas !

Recent mentioned Canterbury horse Ribaldo was on that tape...he actually ran second in both Auckland Cup and lead up QE , behind Apollo Eleven.

Peter Kelly.......ahhh the memories !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Centaur said:

I was wondering what he meant by last Wgtn Cup over two miles in 74, but of course after that they changed to 3,200m.

Interestingly I could name most of the Wgtn Cup winners from about 1974 to 2009, but since then I can only recall two of them, just doesn't stick in the mind as a highlight any more.

I clearly remember Kiwi beating Maurita. My biggest and most confident bet on the race was Imaprince. I recall telling the people I was with that Rastes had no chance of winning. And the worst judicial decision was relegating Reykjavik who paid about $10 for a place and would have given me a very decent collect.

Meanwhile as we go down memory lane dripping with showers of nostalgia while blaming the Mythical Waikato Mafia for the industry ills Rome shoulders.  From the bottom up.

What needs to be done to bolster. South Island and CD racing?  To improve race status?  Should @TAB For Ever and his merry band of cost accountants look to spend some of their lucre on importing horses and staff from Singapore and Macau?  Probably not as they wouldn't want any decent completion for.their slow nags. Therein lies another problem where the industry has found ways to reduce the quality of fields e.g. novelty races, handicapping bias etc.

49 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You can have poor quality horses providing a quality betting product.  

Although long term if the system doesn't improve the quality of the breed we lose.

Yes. But that's what non-handicap racing, set weight and wfa are there for, to determine the best horses for breeding purposes which is why they are graded and featured in sales catalogues.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, curious said:

Yes. But that's what non-handicap racing, set weight and wfa are there for, to determine the best horses for breeding purposes which is why they are graded and featured in sales catalogues.

It would be interesting to know if the change of conditions for the Telegraph and Railway have helped the quality and quantity of those races and the betting on them. I get the impression those fields are smaller these days than in years gone by, although that would apply to many races of course.

23 minutes ago, Doomed said:

It would be interesting to know if the change of conditions for the Telegraph and Railway have helped the quality and quantity of those races and the betting on them. I get the impression those fields are smaller these days than in years gone by, although that would apply to many races of course.

Probably too soon to say. Railway met the pattern race minimum but the Telegraph is well shy and on alert for downgrade. I doubt that betting would generally be enhanced by a shift to wfa which is designed to favour the best horses rather than create competitive races for wagering. The purpose is to enhance quality which it may do on average but won't likely make the best horses any better.

All big races and many Clubs are going to be under extra pressure now that the ATR have Ellerslie up and running and the stakes there likely to get away from the bulk of other Clubs.

Summer Racing there is going  to flourish .

In past few days I had a tour of the place and tho it not Flemington or Randwick and still a lot of upgrade possible it going to help future proof racing into the immediate future at least....IMO

Owners and connections should be keen to get and stay involved and hopefully punters will take up some slack too.

Maybe if Avondale climbed on board it could really become a game changer IMO And some of the riches could overflow down to the Waikato and a fantastic track set up there too for back to back top class racing every weekend.

Maybe wont match the big crowds of Kumara or Mot trots , but will be a start !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Maybe if Avondale climbed on board it could really become a game changer IMO And some of the riches could overflow down to the Waikato and a fantastic track set up there too for back to back top class racing every weekend.

The Waikato is now constrained by a lack of alternative track options and the white elephant at Cambridge.  The only option would be a greenfields site.

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The Waikato is now constrained by a lack of alternative track options and the white elephant at Cambridge.  The only option would be a greenfields site.

Stick to the topic Chief and start a new thread....I just did......the Wellington Cup just excites me so much. 
Great Sensation used to be ridden past our house by Mick Brown after he finished work at the Scour Mill in afternoon. I knew his son and the village was just so wrapped up in his journey as an older horse . One year they scratched him at Trentham as a barrier 'rogue'...bastards.

Listened to his 3rd win by transister by a Canterbury river [ intro by Wayne Andrews or Murray King for NZBC racing service] and my Dad then decided we had to go every year  after that. As an older person I tried to carry on that trend until one day the crowd made it impossible to move [ maybe Rod Stewart's fault] I couldnt even thrust my Southern Chest out when Ed won ! Then when my old mate Neil Purvis's [RIP] Cluden Creek ,who went by an alias , won it was chaos.Then I went early one day and my horse was caught up by an accident on the pathetic road north and only just made the Course and I wasn't allowed to go and see it cos the RULES changed for H & S and dont think I been back ,bar once on Anniversay day when the place like Chernobyl.

Tough now I don't go but can hardly afford to buy my lunch ,but that another issue.

Or maybe I really feel for the horses I seen break down on the Champagne Turf....usually cos it too hard...and have their last race there !

Ahhhh the memories !

Of course Neil Purvis RIP ,not the only All Black to win the Cup. Joe Karem did too and WE Hazlett ....probably others !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

What needs to be done to bolster. South Island and CD racing?  To improve race status?

As the title of this thread suggests the Timaru Cup has had some top form come out of it, a prerequisite of the Pattern Committee to retain Stakes or Group status.

Chief asks what needs to be done.  It may be as simple as an attitude change.  It doesn't matter what you submit to the Pattern Committee to protect your Club's races, as they don't even follow their own protocols.

If the likes of the Timaru Cup continue to keep their stake at a reasonable level, and it's position on the racing calendar lends itself to assist a trainer to programme a decent campaign, field quality can only improve.  Connections of horses from far and wide are forever looking for Black Type opportunities.  If a club has worked hard to improve their race/s they should be rewarded with Black Type if merited.

• Like 1

I read where the Riccarton synthetic was a big factor in Lady Telena's turnaround in form.

After some 25 starts as a maiden in the North Island she went South and picked up a couple of lowkey wins at Ashburton.

She then raced on the Synthetic ,placed and won then went on to win 3 of her next 5 starts in South

A new horse...appreciated the kind and consistent surface.

13 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

I read where the Riccarton synthetic was a big factor in Lady Telena's turnaround in form.

After some 25 starts as a maiden in the North Island she went South and picked up a couple of lowkey wins at Ashburton.

She then raced on the Synthetic ,placed and won then went on to win 3 of her next 5 starts in South

Are you sure it wasn't the two low-key wins at Ashburton that kicked her on her way?

Note she hasn't raced on the Synthetic for 5 months.

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

She's trained at Rangiora.   Probably appreciates the beach.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

She was bought by the Scott/Young partnership on the say so of Adrian Clark who recognised her underlying ability.

She is obviously loving the southern lifestyle.  Like Freda said the beach will be doing wonders.  The beach has that "kind and consistent surface" you talk of TAB man.