Bit Of A Yarn

Brilliant Form Race

Every now and again you get a race that generates brilliant form subsequently from many of the runners. We saw this yesterday and I'm surprised none of the trackside commentators picked up on it.

The Trentham Stakes winner and both open winners from Wingatui, the Cup and the sprint, all came directly out of the Timaru Cup and won at their next start. Just wait until the two horses who actually won the Timaru Cup step out again.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Doomed said:

Every now and again you get a race that generates brilliant form subsequently from many of the runners. We saw this yesterday and I'm surprised none of the trackside commentators picked up on it.

The Trentham Stakes winner and both open winners from Wingatui, the Cup and the sprint, all came directly out of the Timaru Cup and won at their next start. Just wait until the two horses who actually won the Timaru Cup step out again.

That should be a good start for the listed status of the Timaru Cup to be reconsidered by the Pattern Committee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, curious said:

That should be a good start for the listed status of the Timaru Cup to be reconsidered by the Pattern Committee.

Certainly should.  But unlikely,  IMO, although I would love to be wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, curious said:

One would think so, but as Pam says unlikely.

To some extent it reflects poorly on the submissions from the Timaru Racing Club in the first place. I think most of us on here could easily point out 10 or more races that would be more deserving of a downgrade.

49 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

I don't believe submissions make a blind bit of difference to the committee decision.

Sadly, you are almost certainly correct. It is a predetermined agenda, which they seem to get away with continually.

I note that exactly 50 years ago Timaru held a 2 day meeting after Christmas. Also that the Timaru cup was run over 2100m won by Mister Pompous ridden by one L. J. Molloy. Seems the rider never learnt from upsetting officials as the ride earned a suspension. The second leg of TAB double was won by Grey Way beating Condor a horse I had a bit to do with.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

I note that exactly 50 years ago Timaru held a 2 day meeting after Christmas. Also that the Timaru cup was run over 2100m won by Mister Pompous ridden by one L. J. Molloy. Seems the rider never learnt from upsetting officials as the ride earned a suspension. The second leg of TAB double was won by Grey Way beating Condor a horse I had a bit to do with.

Yes, Timaru used to hold two days between Xmas and NY. That would have been one of the last Timaru Cups as a stayers handicap. Soon after it became a WFA mile and one of the early winners in that guise was Show Gate, famous of course for winning the 2,400 Dunedin Cup one day and the 1,600m Timaru Cup the following day. And of course Grey Way went on to win his own Timaru Cup later on after a few years of trying.

I might be totally wrong, but Mister Pompous may have been owned by Barney Ballin who went on to own Little Brown Jug. But that is just a vague recollection.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Centaur said:

I note that exactly 50 years ago Timaru held a 2 day meeting after Christmas. Also that the Timaru cup was run over 2100m won by Mister Pompous ridden by one L. J. Molloy.

L. Molloy was a better than average jockey. From the early to mid 1970's he rode a substantial amount of winners, regularly saluting on multiple occasions and rode a few decent ponies to boot.

Molloy was also educated and smart which are rare qualities in a jockey and IMO would have made an excellent captain of racing's sinking ship.

Mister Pompous was a very good galloper who also won the 1974 Wellington Stakes and Wellington Derby beating the best three-year-olds of that year.

Timaru Cup was reduced to 1600 metres in 1975 with the likes of Show Gate, Catastrophe, Grey Way, The Twinkle, The Dimple, Clansman, Random Chance, Just Tommy and A Gordon For Me winning the event.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Doomed said:

Yes, Timaru used to hold two days between Xmas and NY. That would have been one of the last Timaru Cups as a stayers handicap. Soon after it became a WFA mile and one of the early winners in that guise was Show Gate, famous of course for winning the 2,400 Dunedin Cup one day and the 1,600m Timaru Cup the following day. And of course Grey Way went on to win his own Timaru Cup later on after a few years of trying.

I might be totally wrong, but Mister Pompous may have been owned by Barney Ballin who went on to own Little Brown Jug. But that is just a vague recollection.

Barney Ballin did indeed own Mr Pompous.   I worked for trainer Gary Lee around that time.

I also worked for Peter Jones, trainer of Little Brown Jug, although not when he was racing. I did clip the colt as a yearling for Peter however.  

Memories!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, billy connolly said:

L. Molloy was a better than average jockey. From the early to mid 1970's he rode a substantial amount of winners, regularly saluting on multiple occasions and rode a few decent ponies to boot.

Molloy was also educated and smart which are rare qualities in a jockey and IMO would have made an excellent captain of racing's sinking ship.

Mister Pompous was a very good galloper who also won the 1974 Wellington Stakes and Wellington Derby beating the best three-year-olds of that year.

Timaru Cup was reduced to 1600 metres in 1975 with the likes of Show Gate, Catastrophe, Grey Way, The Twinkle, The Dimple, Clansman, Random Chance, Just Tommy and A Gordon For Me winning the event.

' IMO would have made an excellent captain of racing's sinking ship.'-hilarious.😄

10 hours ago, Freda said:

Barney Ballin did indeed own Mr Pompous.   I worked for trainer Gary Lee around that time.

I also worked for Peter Jones, trainer of Little Brown Jug, although not when he was racing. I did clip the colt as a yearling for Peter however.  

Memories!

I remember when living in the South Is. a striking black called Every Post which kind of links with Gary Lee. Probably wrong though. If right then would have been the horse to get Lee started?

2 hours ago, The Centaur said:

I remember when living in the South Is. a striking black called Every Post which kind of links with Gary Lee. Probably wrong though. If right then would have been the horse to get Lee started?

Yeah, Postie was there when I started with Gary, fresh out of high school.  I wasn't allowed to handle him though, he was aggressive and much too much for an inexperienced kid.

He won at Trentham in front  of the Queen, Gary was so proud.

He hadn't long taken over Chokebore Lodge when I started, and did have a few pretty useful sorts around him.   Dick Preece, the previous incumbent, relocated back to the Chathams to be their priest.  The Douglas-Cliffords of Stoneyhurst, Cheviot area, were the patrons, and supplied the stable with horses regularly.  ]

Their Ribotlight mare Foxtail won the Manawatu Cup, travelling mate Elvin Spark won a minor race on the same day.  Sparky held some sort of local record for the number of starts in a season.

Mellay gelding Audaciter won the Coongy Hcp [ I think ] in Aus, and a mare I had a bit to do with - she was no star though - was Astral Row, by Long Row, who became the ancestress of the globe-trotting So You Think.

I think Gary might have handled Ribaldo too, as a young horse, but he was later trained by owner-breeders Margaret and Colin Austin.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Mr Ballin owned some good horses ,the ones mentioned were extra. When his horses won he used to give me and my family some of his softe drinks from Ballins Breweries. Yes Gary Lee trained every Every Post and took Mister Pompous to Australia , along with himself and did well over there too ,from memory winning a race called Tulloch Stakes. Mister Pompous twice beat Fury's Order at Wellington ,once over 1600m in Wellington Stakes when FO resuming after winning GN Derby. Then maybe more of a surprise to beat the top dog FO in the Wellington Derby.

The soft drinks really flowed...Fury's Order was a special horse.

But at that time South Islands top horses really did race ,challenge and beat the top Northern horses....as did our jockeys , jumpers , owners and even Stallions like Kurdistan and Bellborough while Gatekeeper and Mellay were emerging.

Unlike now where an enthusiastic bunch of Southerners try to talk up the scene and grasp to any smidgeon of fantasy to exhort the achievements of the South. Very optimistic considering many of the horses in South are Northern rejects seeking an easy kill or too slow to compete in North. Of course the odd exception. But that for another post , but I surprised the past /breeding of two top trainers  , Lisa Latta and Peter Didham not linked back to the South , not to mention Jamie Richards ,Jelly Williams etc .And of course the Colletts !

Jim Collet won a Southern Classic on Little Brown Jug standing in for Pablo.

LBJ cleaned up in the South , the soft drinks flowed , and went north to clean up so my family went north too to enjoy the show...sadly LBJ could not do it up North but still won NZ Horse of the Year l, which Southern Queen Showgate won twice from memory.

Showgate came about because GBT his owner/trainer went to Trentham Sales and paid good money for well bred fillies .Minglow herself won at Trentham , my family had followed her there as well. GBT's other inspired purchase was a filly called Subtrist who was dam of Middy [ NZ Cup] and several other winners. Minglow produced several horses with talent incl Showkeeper , Going Some , Troilus . Ultimately the breed was 'halted' by a dud stallion Honey Crepe [ by Crepello who had several good sires in NZ incl Crest Of The Wave]

When Showgate won her races ,GBT gave my family free eggs ,as he had a lot of hens as he the only 'chicken sexer' in South.

Plenty of Eggs and Ballins soft drinks ..the days when the South racing was great !

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Unlike now where an enthusiastic bunch of Southerners try to talk up the scene and grasp to any smidgeon of fantasy to exhort the achievements of the South.

Did you go to Christ's College?  They're well known for abandoning their roots and pretending they came from elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Did you go to Christ's College?  They're well known for abandoning their roots and pretending they came from elsewhere.

Haha...not enough pennies for that place ,but got to play on their sports field a bit. Christ' s preferred fathers in tweed jackets who drove BMW's and kids keen to be Doctors and Lawyers not Cost Accountants !

A correction to my yarn.....It appears Mister Pompous did not win Tulloch Stakes but Asgard [PCook] did that year .

Possibly got second then won elsewhere.

A google search mentions DAPeake in the Tulloch Stakes photo. 

As a side yarn my TAB friend saw 5 x times champion jockey DA Peake looking very fit and dapper at Ellerslie on Sunday then a little later one Leo Molloy who has been mentioned earlier.

Leo once told me he was the only unbeaten jockey on Showgate , but he hadn't allowed for one Nick Harnett Also one for one !

Watch this space on Inca !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Mr Ballin owned some good horses ,the ones mentioned were extra. When his horses won he used to give me and my family some of his softe drinks from Ballins Breweries. Yes Gary Lee trained every Every Post and took Mister Pompous to Australia , along with himself and did well over there too ,from memory winning a race called Tulloch Stakes. Mister Pompous twice beat Fury's Order at Wellington ,once over 1600m in Wellington Stakes when FO resuming after winning GN Derby. Then maybe more of a surprise to beat the top dog FO in the Wellington Derby.

The soft drinks really flowed...Fury's Order was a special horse.

But at that time South Islands top horses really did race ,challenge and beat the top Northern horses....as did our jockeys , jumpers , owners and even Stallions like Kurdistan and Bellborough while Gatekeeper and Mellay were emerging.

Unlike now where an enthusiastic bunch of Southerners try to talk up the scene and grasp to any smidgeon of fantasy to exhort the achievements of the South. Very optimistic considering many of the horses in South are Northern rejects seeking an easy kill or too slow to compete in North. Of course the odd exception. But that for another post , but I surprised the past /breeding of two top trainers  , Lisa Latta and Peter Didham not linked back to the South , not to mention Jamie Richards ,Jelly Williams etc .And of course the Colletts !

Jim Collet won a Southern Classic on Little Brown Jug standing in for Pablo.

LBJ cleaned up in the South , the soft drinks flowed , and went north to clean up so my family went north too to enjoy the show...sadly LBJ could not do it up North but still won NZ Horse of the Year l, which Southern Queen Showgate won twice from memory.

Showgate came about because GBT his owner/trainer went to Trentham Sales and paid good money for well bred fillies .Minglow herself won at Trentham , my family had followed her there as well. GBT's other inspired purchase was a filly called Subtrist who was dam of Middy [ NZ Cup] and several other winners. Minglow produced several horses with talent incl Showkeeper , Going Some , Troilus . Ultimately the breed was 'halted' by a dud stallion Honey Crepe [ by Crepello who had several good sires in NZ incl Crest Of The Wave]

When Showgate won her races ,GBT gave my family free eggs ,as he had a lot of hens as he the only 'chicken sexer' in South.

Plenty of Eggs and Ballins soft drinks ..the days when the South racing was great !

All you need is Ray to throw  you a pie and a loaf...of bread.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Freda said:

Yeah, Postie was there when I started with Gary, fresh out of high school.  I wasn't allowed to handle him though, he was aggressive and much too much for an inexperienced kid.

He won at Trentham in front  of the Queen, Gary was so proud.

He hadn't long taken over Chokebore Lodge when I started, and did have a few pretty useful sorts around him.   Dick Preece, the previous incumbent, relocated back to the Chathams to be their priest.  The Douglas-Cliffords of Stoneyhurst, Cheviot area, were the patrons, and supplied the stable with horses regularly.  ]

Their Ribotlight mare Foxtail won the Manawatu Cup, travelling mate Elvin Spark won a minor race on the same day.  Sparky held some sort of local record for the number of starts in a season.

Mellay gelding Audaciter won the Coongy Hcp [ I think ] in Aus, and a mare I had a bit to do with - she was no star though - was Astral Row, by Long Row, who became the ancestress of the globe-trotting So You Think.

I think Gary might have handled Ribaldo too, as a young horse, but he was later trained by owner-breeders Margaret and Colin Austin.

These are just names to me but the horse Ribaldo links up with the name  Murfitt. Seems part and parcel of the Riccarton scene.