Bit Of A Yarn

Radio Racing

Excuse my total ignorance. I haven't listened to racing on the radio for many, many years and I understand it was discontinued some years ago when times were tough for the TAB. I may well be driving later today when some of the decent racing is on. Is there any way of listening to races from NZ and Australia while you are driving along?

Phone a friend , get them to put the phone by the tranny !

Or watch/ listen to it on your phone.....but keep your eyes on the road and obey all traffic signals.

For a man who frequently says he has given up on Racing ,you still seem pretty keen and enthusiastic !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

Phone a friend , get them to put the phone by the tranny !

Or watch/ listen to it on your phone.....but keep your eyes on the road and obey all traffic signals.

For a man who frequently says he has given up on Racing ,you still seem pretty keen and enthusiastic !

Funnily enough Doomed is a...pessimist!😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curious said:

TABNZ have bought SENZ Digital and Audio and invited Entain to operate it alongside Trackside, so I think you'll find there will be improvements in radio coverage in due course.

Can only inprove, certainly cannot get any worse. Didn't mind Saturday afternoons with Claydo until the show was hijacked by some plonker with a double barrel name. Still the only racing you can get on air when driving unless you use your technology. Other than Claydos slot racing on Senz is non existent. The so called tab racing radio (only on technology) is a hard listen. so bad they even stop races with 300 to go to switch to another venue. Real intelligence.

• Like 2

Axing Radio Trackside was not a good decision overall for the industry.  You can see why RITA have taken drastic action.  Their brief was to cut costs in a hurry.  Dean McKenzie gets the total blame for this decision but, wasn't he the mouth piece for a committee including Sir Peter Vela, Brian Mollet's daughter and others?

The real question is though, why the hell did the industry bodies not insist on an audit or financial accountability long before the situation became dire?  Most of the racing groups could see overspending and ineffective systems and staff.  Why did they not officially question it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

Dean McKenzie gets the total blame for this decision but, wasn't he the mouth piece for a committee including Sir Peter Vela, Brian Mollet's daughter and others?

Nope the strategic and operational decisions lie entirely at McKenzies feet.  

1 hour ago, Special Agent said:

The real question is though, why the hell did the industry bodies not insist on an audit or financial accountability long before the situation became dire?  Most of the racing groups could see overspending and ineffective systems and staff.  Why did they not officially question it?

McKenzie had a chance to turn everything around but didn't tackle the key contracts that were screwing them head on.  Instead he shifted cost out to the codes to make his balance sheet look good even though they were insolvent.  Then Winnie rides in and bails them out.

3 hours ago, Special Agent said:

Axing Radio Trackside was not a good decision overall for the industry.  You can see why RITA have taken drastic action.  Their brief was to cut costs in a hurry.  Dean McKenzie gets the total blame for this decision but, wasn't he the mouth piece for a committee including Sir Peter Vela, Brian Mollet's daughter and others?

The ones who do get ignored. 

It's closed club, you only have to look at the calendar, programming, venue plan etc.

• Sad 1

And that is what happens.  You get tired and drained trying to get valid points across.  That doesn't mean you should succumb to those in charge who, more often than not, know so much less than you do, AND your livelihood and existence relies upon a successful industry which you have poured your whole life into.  Most people in administration can walk away and find another job.  If you have completed an apprenticeship or cadetship and worked hard at your craft there is little else you know much about.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:12 PM, Muzza said:

The so called tab racing radio (only on technology) is a hard listen. so bad they even stop races with 300 to go to switch to another venue. Real intelligence.

Switching everything online isn't the be all of everything, I was reading a article on David White from Cricket when it signed to stream Cricket with Spark, it's the way of the future he said, look what happened there.

No different to racing, streaming is OK as a option but jamming two trackside channel's into 1 for audio don't work, still important to have racing on radio just as it is for Cricket, not everyone has access to good internet or is working, driving etc etc.

I note tomorrow's racing show on Senz starts at 3 o clock from Ellerslie, does that mean Riccarton don't matter .

I should add that Cricket left Radio Sport because NZME offered Cricket a lot less to broadcast rights for radio, I suspect Sky will do same when negotiating tv rights in a year or two.

Edited by mikeynz