Bit Of A Yarn

New Zealand's First Slot Race!

Chill out folks.....this new raft of high stake races just been announced today and within minutes we are looking at the possible pitfalls and shortcomings.

The glass half-full team will looking at getting involved   behind the whole stradegy.

Our racing in NZ needs more foals , more owners and more punting to flourish into the future....already todays announcement has made mainstream media and already they have closed the doors at 12,000 people this week.

Personally after giving up on taking shares in NZ horses cos of the low return on stakes.....these now boosted across the board and there appears to be a ton of opportunities across all regions to race for decent money than previous....I'm tempted again !

And many will feel the same way....maybe more foals born , higher returns for breeders and higher returns for owners and trainers.And hopefully better and bigger  fields to encourage betting.

At least they giving it a crack , I think it fair they be given the chance .They have shown the courage and a few dollars to change things around a bit and I'm confident this will continue for a while yet.

Get on the bus ,don't go against the tide ,avoid the quicksand crowd !

6 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Chill out folks.....this new raft of high stake races just been announced today and within minutes we are looking at the possible pitfalls and shortcomings.

The glass half-full team will looking at getting involved   behind the whole stradegy.

Our racing in NZ needs more foals , more owners and more punting to flourish into the future....already todays announcement has made mainstream media and already they have closed the doors at 12,000 people this week.

Personally after giving up on taking shares in NZ horses cos of the low return on stakes.....these now boosted across the board and there appears to be a ton of opportunities across all regions to race for decent money than previous....I'm tempted again !

And many will feel the same way....maybe more foals born , higher returns for breeders and higher returns for owners and trainers.And hopefully better and bigger  fields to encourage betting.

At least they giving it a crack , I think it fair they be given the chance .They have shown the courage and a few dollars to change things around a bit and I'm confident this will continue for a while yet.

I tend to agree, but a slot race and most of whats being thrown around won't get the ones you really need back in the sport to breed those bread & butter horses that create turnover etc.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

You should excuse the cynicism amongst many who have seen this all before.  Remember the 10 x $1m races?  Remember the  TAB bailout?  But what is being done to address the fundamental issues?  Three AWT tracks that no one wants and a Strathayr at Ellerslie.  Meanwhile every other main track is stuffed.  I'd rather have a surface that provided fair racing and was safe for my horses than more novelty races.

• Champ Post 2

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why close the doors?  

Well Weaver started all of this crap. They don't want your common punters who will actually bet, they only want Posers and A Listers who will stand around taking selfies with a wine glass in the hand.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, holy ravioli said:

So 12,000 is a big crowd these days!🤪

I think it a wise decision for the recommencement of racing there.

Two years ago I  mostly sat among the BGP crowd and that day I remember the total was 9000 and it very comfortable both there above the Public seating and also in the Ascot stand where members and owners tend to congregate there.The place has been closed for a couple of years so getting up to speed won't be that easy. A lot of the hospitality and security staff will be new ,parking will be a bit tight etc etc. There will be a bit to 'moan' about , some have already started I hear it whisping over the strait from the South Island ! A green cloud ! These days I think 10,000 is an ideal number, very busy but comfortable.

The halcyon days of being packed to the gills , no thanks. I remember how uncomfortable the big days were ..the Wellington Cup , NZ Cup , NZ Trotting cup. Often near impossible to get a bet on , get to a bar[ now limits !] and worst of all difficult to see the actual races.

The huge 'old days'New years Day crowd at Ellerslie was hugely boosted by BYO [food and drink] in the infield ,froze to death there one year just before I was bored to death. A friend got the Railway trifecta [easybet] and it took them 30mins to bring in the money cos the thousands in there hadn't bet enuff ,too busy playing cricket with their bored kids ! Even NZ Cup day has huge crowds just out the back at "boot parties" or at dance party at top of straight . NZ Trot cup day many claim on here about the temporary tents blocking some of view !! Big crowds really bring out the glass half empty lot !

These racedays have gotten huge because like Kumara they are the place to be.....FOMO sets in .....gotta be part of it !

So this Saturday some will be disappointed ,will still probably watch it on TV and bet...racing is afterall a TV activity.....and many more will want to go next year and/or the next meeting and the facilities will be extended to fit them in eg..grass area along the straight . 

Who knows ,may even boost membership...it has dropped a little [20%] since Covid .

Of interest is todays NZ Herald already advertising next years big day on 8 March 2025 ....Front page via a sleeve ,2 full pages which connect to Sports page...these guys are serious about gettin NZ Racing back !

The Slot Race is ILLEGAL.

Although with a slight change then would make it OK.

The conditions restricts competitive behaviour in that any potential competitor to NZB is discouraged. Thats against the Commerce Act. If NZB puts up the whole stake then perhaps they can be OK but since the money is coming from the TAB funds its not OK. It's like the Auckland Racing Club running a race just for horses that are fed Dunstan products and Auckland putting up the stake.

Given the number of industry resources now going into the Karaka Millions and not just NZB funding I feel The Karaka Millions are now also illegal.

4 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

The place has been closed for a couple of years so getting up to speed won't be that easy. A lot of the hospitality and security staff will be new ,parking will be a bit tight etc etc.

Didn't realise they closed down the Event Centre as well.  Where did they earn the $11.4m in catering revenue from for 2023?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Thats immaterial. Denying any chance of horses competing sold by competitors is illegal.

I notice that it also says that international horses seeking transport should contact NZTR for referral to NZB freight.

1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

Thats immaterial. Denying any chance of horses competing sold by competitors is illegal.

Don't the conditions say it is open to ANY horse bred in New Zealand?

However the way the press release is written it would appear that an Australian bred horse sold through the NZB Sales would be eligible.

ELIGIBILITY

The NZB Kiwi will celebrate the best of New Zealand’s world-class breeding industry and showcase the premier three-year-olds in the land. 

To qualify for The NZB Kiwi and for a Slot Holder to be able to nominate a contender, the horse must have been bred in New Zealand, as determined by NZTR in accordance with the New Zealand Stud Book and Register of Non-Stud Book Mares Regulations (as published from time to time by NZTR), or purchased at an NZB official Sale.

Eligible NZB Sales are the National Yearling Sales Series (January), the National Weanling Sale (May) and the Ready to Run Sale of Two-Year-Olds (November).

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Didn't realise they closed down the Even Centre as well.  Where did they earn the $11.4m in catering revenue from for 2023?

You too clever for me Chief !

Many of the food areas used on non-raceday events which total close to 1000 a year are in the Events Centre/ Public Stand but on raceday they are all over . Some 22 venues/rooms for food ,all going at once so it a bit unique.

Of course the popular Birdcage bar where many trainers watch the screens is still closed for revamp so may throw a few out. 

I thought they may bring some of the Coast staff up from the Hokitika Food Festival.

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Not for Kumara.

Chief , please confirm how many attend Kumara  races ?

I did a quick google and there was mention of 3000 in a Stuff article 2019 ..

Articles before raceday say that 5000 to 9000 will attend

Articles after state that some 5000 attended and those stories often highlight things like the 'Fashions in the Field'. I was lead to believe those gimmicks were only for the posers and poofters in big city clubs.

A cost accountant I know told me the accounts show $24 k in gatetakings in 2022 and $33k in 2023 . Apparently there was an increase in gate charge from $10 to $15 then again to $20 for walk up entrance this year. Using between $10 - $15 as a guide this would suggest around  2500 paying adults . Kids are free . Others may jump the fence which one year couldn't keep the pigs out from eating up the track !

I gotta go some time !

7 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

Chief , please confirm how many attend Kumara  races ?

I did a quick google and there was mention of 3000 in a Stuff article 2019 ..

Articles before raceday say that 5000 to 9000 will attend

Articles after state that some 5000 attended and those stories often highlight things like the 'Fashions in the Field'. I was lead to believe those gimmicks were only for the posers and poofters in big city clubs.

A cost accountant I know told me the accounts show $24 k in gatetakings in 2022 and $33k in 2023 . Apparently there was an increase in gate charge from $10 to $15 then again to $20 for walk up entrance this year. Using between $10 - $15 as a guide this would suggest around  2500 paying adults . Kids are free . Others may jump the fence which one year couldn't keep the pigs out from eating up the track !

I gotta go some time !

If you want to see a large race day crowd, go onto Tauherenikau's Facebook Page where they have photos from their January 2 meeting.

1 hour ago, TAB For Ever said:

You too clever for me Chief !

Many of the food areas used on non-raceday events which total close to 1000 a year are in the Events Centre/ Public Stand but on raceday they are all over . Some 22 venues/rooms for food ,all going at once so it a bit unique.

Of course the popular Birdcage bar where many trainers watch the screens is still closed for revamp so may throw a few out. 

I thought they may bring some of the Coast staff up from the Hokitika Food Festival.

Why would you close the doors when you still have space?

Anyway you win the BOAY prize for the persistent Topic Diverger.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Don't the conditions say it is open to ANY horse bred in New Zealand?

However the way the press release is written it would appear that an Australian bred horse sold through the NZB Sales would be eligible.

ELIGIBILITY

The NZB Kiwi will celebrate the best of New Zealand’s world-class breeding industry and showcase the premier three-year-olds in the land. 

To qualify for The NZB Kiwi and for a Slot Holder to be able to nominate a contender, the horse must have been bred in New Zealand, as determined by NZTR in accordance with the New Zealand Stud Book and Register of Non-Stud Book Mares Regulations (as published from time to time by NZTR), or purchased at an NZB official Sale.

Eligible NZB Sales are the National Yearling Sales Series (January), the National Weanling Sale (May) and the Ready to Run Sale of Two-Year-Olds (November).

Yes. A NZ bred horse might have been sold at any sale say the Gold Coast or Sydney and still be eligible. Just that a non-NZ bred sold in NZ is also eligible.

They have expanded the eligible sales to include all NZB auctions. I don't know what happens if a competing sales company starts up in NZ during the 3 year term.

(c) is for three-year-olds only that were either:
(i) bred in New Zealand, as determined by NZTR in accordance with the New Zealand Stud
Book and Register of Non Stud Book Mares Regulations (as published from time to time
by NZTR); or
(ii) sold through the ring at a Thoroughbred sale (including on-line sales) conducted by New
Zealand Bloodstock Limited or on-line by its subsidiary, Gavelhouse Ltd. or passed
through the ring at any such sale and sold within 30 days of the sale at not less than the
price at which the horse was passed-in.