Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton Debacle??

These things shouldn't happen but do from time to time, but so does a hell of a lot of other things in life, no matter how prefect we'd like life to be, just doesn't happen like that, the horse was well behaved, obviously they don't want to injure intentionally. 

Doesn't the starter get an all-clear from elsewhere before he pulls the trigger?

What is Wadley's role at the start? He's witnessed several starting debacles and always seems beyond reproach.

If your attention span is limited Mr. Wadley, please fuck off back to the incompetent stewards room.

39 minutes ago, billy connolly said:

Doesn't the starter get an all-clear from elsewhere before he pulls the trigger?

What is Wadley's role at the start? He's witnessed several starting debacles and always seems beyond reproach.

If your attention span is limited Mr. Wadley, please fuck off back to the incompetent stewards room.

He didn't pull the trigger.

The surprising thing about the whole event is why they ran the race again? 
Horse that just missed out winning the race, had raced the longest first attempt…. you would think at least to put race back a race instead of expecting then to race again in a 30 degree windy day

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Freda said:

No, he didn't.  The starter did!

That has to be the case. The stewards' report doesn't stack up. If the gates had in fact opened spontaneously without being activated by the starter, for serious health and safety reasons, they surely could not have restarted the race, nor continued the meeting without the fault being determined and corrected. Testing that the gates opened when activated before doing so would not eliminate the risk of that happening again. So, I think either the report must be inaccurate, or they've continued the meeting on a very risky basis. Whichever, neither is a good look imo.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

Yes.  Good points.

I am advised, by someone who knows far more than i do, that maintenance is not up to scratch.  I have no idea what level of attention is acceptable,  or what qualifications would be necessary. 

But I do know that previous starter Kevin Ogden used to check them regularly.

In any case, it should not be difficult to have the starting mechanism positioned in a way that accidental tripping of the switch just can't happen. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Freda said:

Yes.  Good points.

I am advised, by someone who knows far more than i do, that maintenance is not up to scratch.  I have no idea what level of attention is acceptable,  or what qualifications would be necessary. 

But I do know that previous starter Kevin Ogden used to check them regularly.

In any case, it should not be difficult to have the starting mechanism positioned in a way that accidental tripping of the switch just can't happen. 

Funny how nobody in the racing game put there hand up and own their mistakes. What a crock of shit, nobody released button, of course they did. Did it work ok before that race, yes…. Did it work ok after that race, yes. Don’t get sucked in again

Yes, a lot of passing the buck in this industry.

I agree with Freda.  Previous Starters with obvious pride in their work and a sense of responsibility have managed to regularly check and maintain the starting gates.  I would have thought that would be part of their contract.  Surely the Starters of today don't just rock on up on race day.

• Like 3

Yes - generally the ponies don't want to hurt us but if I ever saw potential for humans being collateral damage - it's the starting gates opening and 6-7 horses either side galloping off when the middle horse has a human trapped in front of it.  Probably just a good thing in this last case that the horse still had the blindfold on - stood still.  Assistant unscathed. 

Dumbfounded by the stewards' report.  Gates not directed to open by the starter.

if that's the truth - how come there isn't SERIOUS concern?  Apparently we seem to have no idea why/how this happened - or presumably when it will next happen? If that's the case - every time an assistant is in with a horse - potentially the gates are going to open and he's going to get smashed! 

The report may have got one individual off the hook - but I can't see how this is a lot of comfort or the end of the story ....occupational health and safety anyone?

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

8 hours ago, jess said:

Yes - generally the ponies don't want to hurt us but if I ever saw potential for humans being collateral damage - it's the starting gates opening and 6-7 horses either side galloping off when the middle horse has a human trapped in front of it.  Probably just a good thing in this last case that the horse still had the blindfold on - stood still.  Assistant unscathed. 

Dumbfounded by the stewards' report.  Gates not directed to open by the starter.

if that's the truth - how come there isn't SERIOUS concern?  Apparently we seem to have no idea why/how this happened - or presumably when it will next happen? If that's the case - every time an assistant is in with a horse - potentially the gates are going to open and he's going to get smashed! 

The report may have got one individual off the hook - but I can't see how this is a lot of comfort or the end of the story ....occupational health and safety anyone?

Hopefully, if the report is correct, there will be some sort of formal reassurance from the club/NZTR/RIB that the gates have been thoroughly checked before we line any more up in them next week or expose starter's assistants to undue risk.

On 1/02/2024 at 1:54 PM, Special Agent said:

Yes, a lot of passing the buck in this industry.

I agree with Freda.  Previous Starters with obvious pride in their work and a sense of responsibility have managed to regularly check and maintain the starting gates.  I would have thought that would be part of their contract.  Surely the Starters of today don't just rock on up on race day.

The current starter is based in Dunedin.  I doubt that he would see the gates from one raceday to the next.

The RIB are responsible for raceday safety matters aren't they? Surely they require assurance that both the track and gates are safe before commencing racedays. Or, have we reverted to the crash test dummy approach to doing that? Recent gate disasters coupled with multiple known (or should have been known) unsafe tracks seem to suggest so.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

Good work!

Canterbury Racing 27th January 2024 – Race 2 INGLEWOOD STUD AT KARAKA 2024 1200 Metres
Due to the malfunction of the starting gates in this race with the cause still undetermined the Canterbury Jockey Club
have decided that until Stereline staff can inspect the gates used on this day and conduct a full audit with scheduled
maintenance also being done the alternate set of gates the club has available will be used for the next 2 meetings at
least

Edited by curious
  • Haha 1