Bit Of A Yarn

doug mccormick

hunterthepunter

47 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Surprise Trooper

Yes remember it well. I had Surprise Trooper going in.the Treble was paying truckloads. Grand Prix was another leg that paid 15 dollars would have been.a great collect. Sad to hear of his passing sounded like he was a character.. not many of them left now.

• Like 3

One of racing and lifes great characters.Will be many a great yarn told at that funeral.I could tell a few about Doug as I am sure Hunterthepunter could especially about the old Ashburton trial days.Some of them were marathon sessions

Most involving the Tinwald tavern and other drinking establishments

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Charlie Wood was certainly one of his best and a bit of an ironhorse.

Beleive he started out as a pacer and then trotted for many races.

Dougs horses always just seemed to want to run as fast as they could for as long as they could!

Remember him out the cart in the preliminaries most of the time lol

Edited by Brodie

3 hours ago, Richie said:

One of racing and lifes great characters.Will be many a great yarn told at that funeral.I could tell a few about Doug as I am sure Hunterthepunter could especially about the old Ashburton trial days.Some of them were marathon sessions

Most involving the Tinwald tavern and other drinking establishments

greymouth trots two jugs before he drove surprize wood went straight to front won by 4 lengths horse washed down after race and back to the bar top bloke

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Doug pulled up at Tinwald tavern one day after Ashburton trials with horse float on as usual.

Once he had got his jug and settled down one of the locals asked him how his horse went.

All of a sudden Doug got up flew out the door hopped in his car with float on back done a u turn and disappeared.In a while he arrived back at Tavern with float still on car.Same joker said where did you go in a hurry Doug.His reply was I realised I left the horse and sulky at the racecourse.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

greymouth trots two jugs before he drove surprize wood went straight to front won by 4 lengths horse washed down after race and back to the bar top bloke

Great Characters like that are almost extinct now,,. no wonder he got the horse home First, he must have had a ginormous pee on board!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Richie said:

Doug pulled up at Tinwald tavern one day after Ashburton trials with horse float on as usual.

Once he had got his jug and settled down one of the locals asked him how his horse went.

All of a sudden Doug got up flew out the door hopped in his car with float on back done a u turn and disappeared.In a while he arrived back at Tavern with float still on car.Same joker said where did you go in a hurry Doug.His reply was I realised I left the horse and sulky at the racecourse.

poor old horse would been in the horse float for about 8 hours lol

• Like 3

Lucky enough to spend a lot of time with Doug as I grew up. Fair few trips to Forbury which always took a little longer than they should have due to the need to stop at the pub at Makikihi for a jug or two on the way down before carrying onto the races. 

An absolutley gentleman of our sport and a wise old soul too who was never shy of a bit of advice. 

Harness racing and Mid Canterbury is a lot poorer today for the loss of a bloody legend. 

Rest in peace, Dougie.

• Like 5
  • Champ Post 1

11 hours ago, Shad said:

That surprise trooper race certainly a classic, and reon's commentary made it a laugh, some one out there must have footage of the race,

was a bloody classic I had it on tape cant remember were it got too another classic was two year old trot addington broke a rain down back straight and went thou the outside fence

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

That now makes sense, some of his drives were bloody crazy, good to know he was pissed, hate to think he was sober. 

• Haha 1