Bit Of A Yarn

Last race today at Reefton.

It's named on TAB website, Graeme Edwards memorial yet on HRNZ its Graeme Edwars, who is it the race is dedicated too, if by chance it's in memory of a popular Cricket player then that would be Graham Edwards, which one is it ?

46 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

It's named on TAB website, Graeme Edwards memorial yet on HRNZ its Graeme Edwars, who is it the race is dedicated too, if by chance it's in memory of a popular Cricket player then that would be Graham Edwards, which one is it ?

Jock Edwards.jpg

• Champ Post 1

Jock had almost a cult following back in the day in his hometown Nelson. He enjoyed knocking the ball out of the ground at every opportunity like Lance Cairns. I bowled to him in my cricket days.

Taken far too soon. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

Jock had almost a cult following back in the day in his hometown Nelson. He enjoyed knocking the ball out of the ground at every opportunity like Lance Cairns. I bowled to him in my cricket days.

Taken far too soon. 

Hopefully you weren't the guy that got hit for the biggest six possibly known.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

Taken far too soon. 

Interesting someone's comments here on Friday about Nelson being a sleepy boring place but 2 things, they do produce or have produced some good Cricketers and with the Tasman Rugby Union they are on the sporting map, winning the NPC twice, I think, who would think they would beat Auckland but the positives are having a stadium that's OK for a ABs test match, had Unions not have merged then would still be a back water lost in the Heartland.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Hopefully you weren't the guy that got hit for the biggest six possibly known.

Greg Turner prior to playing Golf was a very handy cricketer which is no surprise when you consider who his dad was. I was a quick bowler and Greg hit a big six off me which very few ever did and I'm still smarting about it almost 50 years later. It was the South Island Schoolboy Champs played at Invercargill. 1975 I think. We went to see the movie Jaws which is how I remember the year :) 

We won the Tournament of course. Nelson only produces winners 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Interesting someone's comments here on Friday about Nelson being a sleepy boring place but 2 things, they do produce or have produced some good Cricketers and with the Tasman Rugby Union they are on the sporting map, winning the NPC twice, I think, who would think they would beat Auckland but the positives are having a stadium that's OK for a ABs test match, had Unions not have merged then would still be a back water lost in the Heartland.

Nelson has always boxed above it's weight in all sports. Pardon the pun but Jeff Rackley another example of that. Great boxer in his day. I come from a well known sporting family. My dad was known all over NZ. When we moved back to Nelson in 2022, a neighbour asked my surname. He asked if I was any relation. I said yes, he's my dad. He then went on to tell me about a sporting action of my dad's that he witnessed in 1974 and how it was the best sporting moment he'd ever seen. I was tickled pink 

I think the climate helps Nelson develop some good Cricket players, Ken Wadsworth was another good Nelson  player, not up with things as much now so now sure how many Nelsonians play for CD at present.

Greg Turner is Glens brother, not sure if Glen has family.

Right now NZ are teetering, another 150 might be enough, hopefully they don't chuck wickets away.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I think the climate helps Nelson develop some good Cricket players, Ken Wadsworth was another good Nelson  player, not up with things as much now so now sure how many Nelsonians play for CD at present.

Greg Turner is Glens brother, not sure if Glen has family.

Right now NZ are teetering, another 150 might be enough, hopefully they don't chuck wickets away.

Egg on my face. I thought son for some reason. Now I really feel old :) 

Ken just like Jock was the keeper and an underrated batsman. Still fondly remembered. Another taken way too soon. I can still see his smiling face.

Black Caps are solid today. Without wanting to downplay their efforts, if batting for them is now fairly straight forward, it will be the same for the Aussies

47 minutes ago, Walt said:

Egg on my face. I thought son for some reason. Now I really feel old :) 

Ken just like Jock was the keeper and an underrated batsman. Still fondly remembered. Another taken way too soon. I can still see his smiling face.

Black Caps are solid today. Without wanting to downplay their efforts, if batting for them is now fairly straight forward, it will be the same for the Aussies

No egg Walt , no worries !

This the internet ,never let the facts get in the way of a good story  !

Bevan Congdon another useful cricketer from Nelson/Motueka region and they performed well for many years in the Hawke Cup region for Minor Associations .Jeff Rackley played a bit with their regulars Reade, Lowans , Hampton ,Pierce etc then much later Tony Blain among others.One big talent Wayne Hodgson was too good at too many things like golf and Bowls as well plus other distractions !!! He part-owned top galloper Italian Saint with other Nelsonians.

I once helped research a document of top NZ sports people from Nelson...Dixon [ x 2 ] ,Toni Hodgkinson , Olympic Sailors etc  Phil Jones [Reefton] Jo Edwards.It was quite a small document but since the Makos[ Marlborough] saved Rugby there , the earthquake and sports kids have gone to bigger cities /overseas with professional career offers the next chapter will be much bigger with several All Blacks . Finn Delaney [B/Ball] and the Irish winger James Lowe .

Can't recall either a Walt or Clint Eastwood in my study but hey , no body knows everything .

Also did research on Cricket in Nz and recall in 1970 Auckland Primary team there names like Jeff Crowe and Martin Sneddon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some great local names there TAB. I remember Bevan Congdon. Fabulous competitive player but a kind gentleman also. He mentored our team alongside a few other big names. We were coached by Nelson legend John Goodman who told me I was the most naturally gifted sportsman he'd ever coached. Big plans there only to mangle my hand and destroy my cricket career which set off a chain of events that changed my life trajectory. 

Played numerous games with Tony Blain. Excellent keeper and enjoyed sending the ball to and over the boundary. He had a well developed sense of humour. 

You won't find any Walt Kowalski in the Nelson history books :) Too busy making Gran Torino. 

Jeff Crowe was an excellent player and a very good skipper but he was several years before me at schoolboy level. I think he's aged around 76 or 77.

Rod Dixon brings back memories. He went to Waimea College. What a great era that was for NZ runners. John Walker, Dick Quax etc

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Walt said:

Some great local names there TAB. I remember Bevan Congdon. Fabulous competitive player but a kind gentleman also. He mentored our team alongside a few other big names. We were coached by Nelson legend John Goodman who told me I was the most naturally gifted sportsman he'd ever coached. Big plans there only to mangle my hand and destroy my cricket career which set off a chain of events that changed my life trajectory. 

Played numerous games with Tony Blain. Excellent keeper and enjoyed sending the ball to and over the boundary. He had a well developed sense of humour. 

You won't find any Walt Kowalski in the Nelson history books :) Too busy making Gran Torino. 

Jeff Crowe was an excellent player and a very good skipper but he was several years before me at schoolboy level. I think he's aged around 76 or 77.

Rod Dixon brings back memories. He went to Waimea College. What a great era that was for NZ runners. John Walker, Dick Quax etc

John Goodman remained a stalwart of Nelson sport particularly with Nelson College.

Prior to that association I think he was a Primary school teacher.

He only passed away in last couple of years.....I spoke several times to his sons Andrew and Chris.

Andrew was a very good Nelson and Makos Rugby player ,Captain and goal kicker and in recent years has been and is a Coach in Pro Rugby.

RIP John .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

John Goodman remained a stalwart of Nelson sport particularly with Nelson College.

He only passed away in last couple of years.....I spoke several times to his sons Andrew and Chris.

Andrew was a very good Nelson and Makos Rugby player ,Captain and goal kicker and in recent years has been and is a Coach in Pro Rugby.

RIP John .

Well said. We lost him around this time of year in 2017 or 18. 

You'll never find a soul that would say a bad word about him. Respected by all. His mark is on many Nelson sports people. 

You know a few locals. Did you ever cross paths with Tony Barnett ? That name will be either a no....or of course. 

20 minutes ago, TAB For Ever said:

RIP John .

I see Salvi's name in the tributes. Another guy from the top drawer of life.

https://deaths.nelsonmail.co.nz/nz/obituaries/nelson-mail-nz/name/john-goodman-obituary?id=40928487

• Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, Walt said:

Well said. We lost him around this time of year in 2017 or 18. 

You'll never find a soul that would say a bad word about him. Respected by all. His mark is on many Nelson sports people. 

You know a few locals. Did you ever cross paths with Tony Barnett ? That name will be either a no....or of course. 

Of course...well known in Basketball circles or are you talking about the Minister/Mentor / Celebrant !

I familiar with two Tony B's.

12 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Of course...well known in Basketball circles or are you talking about the Minister/Mentor / Celebrant !

I familiar with two Tony B's.

The later Tony. Very special man. Tears when I learned of his passing. He was big in our family. Weddings, funerals and "other".

He came to see me in 1982 when I missed the turn off in life I should have taken. Lost youth to Lost Breed.

He repeated the same word a dozen times to introduce himself to me. It was the F word. He got my attention and always knew how to do that :) 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Walt said:

Nelson has always boxed above it's weight in all sports. Pardon the pun but Jeff Rackley another example of that. Great boxer in his day. I come from a well known sporting family. My dad was known all over NZ. When we moved back to Nelson in 2022, a neighbour asked my surname. He asked if I was any relation. I said yes, he's my dad. He then went on to tell me about a sporting action of my dad's that he witnessed in 1974 and how it was the best sporting moment he'd ever seen. I was tickled pink 

I knew jock when he had the pub on coast. Think it was kowherangi?  Inland from hoki. I was a regular on the coast plying my trade. 

Hj

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Honestjohn said:

I knew jock when he had the pub on coast. Think it was kowherangi?  Inland from hoki. I was a regular on the coast plying my trade. 

Hj

Kowhitirangi.  I think you'll find the pub was the Kokatahi Hotel in Kokatahi.  My family were the first settlers in the area - hence having a mountain named after us.

The Kokatahi Hotel not to be confused with the Longford.  

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

13 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Kowhitirangi.  I think you'll find the pub was the Kokatahi Hotel in Kokatahi.  My family were the first settlers in the area - hence having a mountain named after us.

Yeah I get the two mixed up.  I usually drank at  the railway and stayed in their motel units out the back.  He was an imposing man. 

Hj

K

Just now, Honestjohn said:

Yeah I get the two mixed up.  I usually drank at  the railway and stayed in their motel units out the back.  He was an imposing man. 

Hj

Koiterangi I used to call at the lime works there. Dave Welles will be long crazy now.  Just before that is the memorial of the 6?? Cops killed by Stan Graeme.  Graves are like up desire by the psych  unit

Hj

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

The ole famous band from those parts, used to remember the old iconic clark of the course, fred tibbles, he was around for many years,probably not a paid gig those days

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Only rode as far as Kumara.

Great ole bit off stuff, must have been in his eighties, and was still in the saddle, may have even done the greymouth trots, those were the days, the ole night meetings on the all weather, with the open class trot.

• Champ Post 1