Bit Of A Yarn

Christchurch

Overit

2 hours ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

It’s 3x major 2 injuries in the last two days at Addington (plus a major 1 - torn right deltoid on Monday)

Yep, Addington going thru a bad patch & the Stewards shut it down accordingly, as they should.

Now, you haven't answered my question on another thread.

Where did you rescue your hounds from?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Given Thursday’s fractured hock was completely missed and the hound not even vet checked on race day, how many other injuries are missed?

Seems you might be making some bits up.

The report doesn't say that the injury occurred during Thursday's race.

The report does say that it was x-rayed Friday morning & found to be fractured.

There is more than one reason a dog can fracture a bone.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rescued dog, a definition:

2. a dog that has been placed in a new home after being abused, neglected, or abandoned by its previous owner.

Collins English Dictionary.

Abandon, a definition 

If you abandon a place, thing, or person, you leave the place, thing, or person permanently or for a long time, especially when you should not do so.

If you love your dogs, as the industry slogan goes, you don’t abandon them. Simple. 

Edited by Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers

On 5/4/2024 at 8:51 AM, Yankiwi said:

Seems so.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/catch-the-action/15881/stewards-report.aspx

1). This meeting was abandoned after Race 10 due to the deterioration of track conditions on the bend leaving the home straight.

Two major injuries, occurring in back-to-back races last night, although on totally different portions of the track.

Three majors in the last 21 races, going back to Tuesday.

I hope they get it sorted quickly, as the track had been running well within the GRNZ target percentage for well over a month prior.

Thanks  read that when report finially published.  Surely time for Greyhound NZ to stand by their word and shut the place and do the work needed. February well and truly been 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

If you love your dogs, as the industry slogan goes, you don’t abandon them. Simple. 

Sorry, not so simple.

Our dogs go thru a rehoming program.

Even the SPCA agrees.

image.thumb.png.58d53be672c623217a1fef9eed523b7f.png

image.thumb.png.ff192078bf51c396ebcc86a669c5709d.png

20 hours ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Rescued dog, a definition:

2. a dog that has been placed in a new home after being abused, neglected, or abandoned by its previous owner.

Abandon, a definition 

If you abandon a place, thing, or person, you leave the place, thing, or person permanently or for a long time, especially when you should not do so.

And here was me thinking you are a bright person, with an interest and love of all things greyhound when in fact you are a nasty little troll only interested in destruction of the code. Imagine thinking that greyhound trainers and owners do not love their dogs and just abandon them willy nilly. When greyhounds are rehomed, they are surely missed by their trainers who take delight in following their progress as couch potato's. They are not abandoned as you suggest, and your pathetic argument of using a definition out of the dictionary without context does not wash.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 3
  • Haha 1

Hey Aquaman,

If a member of the public was interested in in getting a greyhound pup to raise entirely as a family pet, do you have any idea of what kind of money a breeder might ask of someone interested in acquiring one for this purpose?

I'm picking it would be substantially more than the $450 GAP charges for a retired animal.

Asking for an anti-racing forum member who seems to like keeping greyhounds around their home.

3 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Hey Aquaman,

If a member of the public was interested in in getting a greyhound pup to raise entirely as a family pet, do you have any idea of what kind of money a breeder might ask of someone interested in acquiring one for this purpose?

I'm picking it would be substantially more than the $450 GAP charges for a retired animal.

Asking for an anti-racing forum member who seems to like keeping greyhounds around their home.

I'm no authority on this subject Charles, but expect you could pick up a pup for 1/2 grand from right person. First base would be the NZGRA and put in request there. Some of the poorer bred ones that do not sell could probably be very cheap. As you know, the NZGRA know everything thats bred in NZ. They will also have a fair idea what could be available and where. They will have contact info for breeders to.

1 hour ago, aquaman said:

I'm no authority on this subject Charles, but expect you could pick up a pup for 1/2 grand from right person. First base would be the NZGRA and put in request there. Some of the poorer bred ones that do not sell could probably be very cheap. As you know, the NZGRA know everything thats bred in NZ. They will also have a fair idea what could be available and where. They will have contact info for breeders to.

Thanks mate.

But if going thru GRNZ, isn't getting it spayed/neutered a requirement?

Most concur that 8 weeks of age is the time you can look to removing a pup from its mother. Also, desexing is suggested that you wait until 6 months of age.

I don't believe GRNZ is the governing body of everything greyhound. They govern all greyhounds that are being prepared for and thru their racing career.

The pup I'm talking about would never be registered with GRNZ in the first place. It's never going to be prepared for or raced. Same as a beagle or poodle for that matter.

It will become a two-month-old pet, not a race dog.

•  
2 hours ago, aquaman said:

Thanks mate.

But if going thru GRNZ, isn't getting it spayed/neutered a requirement?                                                                                                I think if you are buying from breeder, then its just another dog, and whether you desex is up to you. There must be plenty of pups that are surplus to racing. Unsold ones etc, or ones breeder deems unsuitable for racing for whatever reason. Worth a try.                                                                                

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:56 AM, aquaman said:

And here was me thinking you are a bright person, with an interest and love of all things greyhound when in fact you are a nasty little troll only interested in destruction of the code. Imagine thinking that greyhound trainers and owners do not love their dogs and just abandon them willy nilly. When greyhounds are rehomed, they are surely missed by their trainers who take delight in following their progress as couch potato's. They are not abandoned as you suggest, and your pathetic argument of using a definition out of the dictionary without context does not wash.

Cool story bro. I know many people with pet greyhounds and not a single one has ever heard from a trainer to ‘delight’ in following their hound’s progress. I’m sure Cole, McInerney, the Faheys, Roberts, Evans remember and follow up each and every single one of their thousands of past hounds and know each and every one individually in the present. I’m sure it was all a big misunderstanding when tattooing was stopped and trainers asked grnz for microchip scanners to be able to identify between all their dogs - cos they love them so they would absolutely be tell each one apart eh?

And if trainers love their dogs so much why don’t they keep them all as pets instead of giving them up when they are no longer economically viable? Why the need for the free to trainers (who’ve made potentially thousands from the hound) but $380 for adopters - maybe discounted if you take a broken one - Great Mates programme? If trainers all love them so much they will keep them snuggled up on their couches forever surely! All 199 currently racing just for Cole, 175 for McInerney - not to mention the breeding pipeline to fuel that. 

Why don’t they pay for their vet and rehabilitation care and treat them at home instead of dumping the hounds they break into a full to bursting RtR programme and washing their hands of these hounds they love? Dogs not only injured but now recovering from career ending serious injury but now in a completely foreign place, away from the place they know and the person that loves them. 

You’ve got a warped view of love there. 

• Fake News! 1

11 minutes ago, Seeyounexttuesdaytrainers said:

Cool story bro. I know many people with pet greyhounds and not a single one has ever heard from a trainer to ‘delight’ in following their hound’s progress. I’m sure Cole, McInerney, the Faheys, Roberts, Evans remember and follow up each and every single one of their thousands of past hounds and know each and every one individually in the present. I’m sure it was all a big misunderstanding when tattooing was stopped and trainers asked grnz for microchip scanners to be able to identify between all their dogs - cos they love them so they would absolutely be tell each one apart eh?

And if trainers love their dogs so much why don’t they keep them all as pets instead of giving them up when they are no longer economically viable? Why the need for the free to trainers (who’ve made potentially thousands from the hound) but $380 for adopters - maybe discounted if you take a broken one - Great Mates programme? If trainers all love them so much they will keep them snuggled up on their couches forever surely! All 199 currently racing just for Cole, 175 for McInerney - not to mention the breeding pipeline to fuel that. 

Why don’t they pay for their vet and rehabilitation care and treat them at home instead of dumping the hounds they break into a full to bursting RtR programme and washing their hands of these hounds they love? Dogs not only injured but now recovering from career ending serious injury but now in a completely foreign place, away from the place they know and the person that loves them. 

You’ve got a warped view of love there. 

I can only speak for my hounds and my old trainer.  I give my retired girl and boy back to them when I manage to get away for a holiday and there is no money exchanged at all.  I raced my boy for few years and as the owner I took responsibility of his retirement.  The hounds first home loved them and still do.   

On 5/5/2024 at 5:24 PM, Yankiwi said:

Sorry, not so simple.

Our dogs go thru a rehoming program.

Even the SPCA agrees.

image.thumb.png.58d53be672c623217a1fef9eed523b7f.png

image.thumb.png.ff192078bf51c396ebcc86a669c5709d.png

Okay let’s look at the word vulnerable then, from your dictionary of choice (but please do feel free to let the team at Collins know you’re displeased with their definition of the precise terms and let us know how you get on with that).

If you take a hound from the only place it’s ever known, and from the (alleged) person who loves it and leave it someone completely foreign with people it does not know, it’s going to be emotionally vulnerable. It’s why most adopters are counselled in the 3-3-3 guidelines, to help them adjust as emotionally safely as possible. Most, probably all, humans would also be emotionally vulnerable in the same circumstances and we have reasoning and understanding. 

Or do you not believe dogs feel emotions?

IMG_3135.jpeg.35f3dd57d2b51e7d8b98715665c47956.jpeg

IMG_3136.jpeg

IMG_3135.jpeg

• Fake News! 2

• 2 weeks later...

More abandoned races tonight with no report as of yet. It will be interesting to see if shecduled races go ahead tomorrow at Addington. Come on, Christchurch greyhounds and New Zealand greyhounds sort this track out and do the work that you said that was required back in February. Both you parties should hide your head in shame if you continue to race there without doing what is required to bring this track to a safe standard.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Overit said:

More abandoned races tonight with no report as of yet. It will be interesting to see if shecduled races go ahead tomorrow at Addington. Come on, Christchurch greyhounds and New Zealand greyhounds sort this track out and do the work that you said that was required back in February. Both you parties should hide your head in shame if you continue to race there without doing what is required to bring this track to a safe standard.

The report is up now: two hounds dead in one race. For what it’s worth, tomorrow’s races are abandoned too.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/catch-the-action/15896/stewards-report.aspx 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Overit said:

To be honest, I watched the replays. Although the injuries were nasty, I'm not sure the track was at fault regardless of whether the surface was inconsistent.

Looked more like the dogs fell as a result of them checking of one another. The inside dog tried moving out and clipped the outside one which resulted in them both falling.

I'm sure if the surface was hard, it wouldn't have helped. But looked like a racing incident to me.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, BitofaLegend said:

To be honest, I watched the replays. Although the injuries were nasty, I'm not sure the track was at fault regardless of whether the surface was inconsistent.

Exactly the way I see it too.

The track was deemed inconsistent at the end of the backstretch, which is half a lap away from where the incident happened.

Likely an over-reaction after a bad situation IMO.

Now RIB/GRNZ you need to do another tidy up to last night report.

image.thumb.png.6fc1649bdc7e122aa740f2d75fe64019.png

image.png.8dcfd67d70713f0b7c32ea0dcf7ee2da.png

This is twice I've noticed this deception in a week.

Stop trying to smoke & mirror the injuries sustained during a race. It doesn't make the dog uninjured & only adds more evidence that you're covering things up.

3 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

The inside dog tried moving out and clipped the outside one which resulted in them both falling.

I saw it as the inside dog (#7) was having a go for three strides at the middle dog (#6), while at the same time the #8 was closing down towards the rail for the corner.

This grab is the final time the #7 attempted to mar.

Even in the side view, if you slow down the video replay down to 1/4 speed, it become fairly obvious, unless you're a blind/inept Steward. The head-on might be telltale if it wasn't censored.

image.thumb.png.2469a8607b5892df4c2ce428de223d6c.png

• Like 1