NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Belclare off to Magic Millions Broodmare Sale

Group 1 winner Belclare to be offered at Magic Millions

Belclare-G1-NZTB-Stakes-Ellerslie-30.3.2
By The ANZ Bloodstock News Team

Fresh from her historic second win in Saturday’s New Zealand Thoroughbred Breeders’ Stakes (Gr 1, 1600m), Belclare (Per Incanto) will be offered at the upcoming Magic Millions National Broodmare Sale at the Gold Coast.

The stable star for premiership-winning trainer Lisa Latta, Belclare will go under the hammer as an exciting racing and breeding prospect as part of the Bhima Thoroughbreds draft on the opening day of next month’s National Broodmare Sale.

Following the six-year-old’s 1.5 length win over Town Cryer (Tavistock), Latta said: “It’s been a really nerve-racking day, considering it’s likely to be her last race for us.

“The owners have been so loyal, and to go out on a winning note in this race, it couldn’t be better.

An 11-time winner and earner of over NZ$980,000 from 36 starts, Belclare was bred by her part-owner David Woodhouse.

“It certainly was a great win,” Woodhouse said of Saturday’s victory at Ellerslie. “The biggest thrill of my career, absolutely.” 

Woodhouse said there was much planning into the mating that produced his multiple Group  winner, who is out of the stakes-performed winner Miss Rhythmic (O’Reilly).

“Sam Williams told me way back with Per Incanto that the O’Reilly mare cross was working well. So I got Bruce Perry to find me an O’Reilly mare and he came up with Miss Rhythmic and I liked that she went back to Olga’s Pal.

“We bought her and at the time Tavistock was firing and we didn’t have any luck with her first foals and the first season she was sent to Per Incanto, Belclare was the result.”

Woodhouse believes Belclare will be a success as a broodmare.

“She’s not a huge mare – she’s a great style of horse – strong, muscly – a typical Per Incanto, they are nicely made horses.

“Belclare is a beautifully natured horse and she will look good come sale time on the Gold Coast.”

The owner-breeder said it would be an emotional time for himself, and fellow connections, come sale day.

“We will be on the Gold Coast and my wife said she will cry her eyes out! We have never had a horse like her – sure we’ve had some nice horses, but she’s another level.

“We still have her mother, a sister at home and also a half-sister in foal to Noverre. I hope she can carry her racing form to the breeding barn.”

Magic Millions managing director Barry Bowditch was delighted by the latest addition to the catalogue, which is set to be released shortly.

“Belclare is a welcome addition to what will be a remarkable catalogue,” he said. “We will have a catalogue packed with stakes-winning stars and we look forward to presenting them to an international audience.”

On 2/04/2024 at 2:29 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Maven Belle sold for $902k.  I don't see her getting more than that.  Maybe $600k.  I think those talking $1m are dreaming.

Actually I'll revise that.  She'll probably go about $950k.  Melody Belle sold for $2.6m and I wouldn't put Belclare's value near her.

Anyway great to have an opinion and state it.  That's open to ALL on BOAY.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Actually I'll revise that.  She'll probably go about $950k.  Melody Belle sold for $2.6m and I wouldn't put Belclare's value near her.

Anyway great to have an opinion and state it.  That's open to ALL on BOAY.

Guess on the day anything is possible, only needs two bidders desperately wanting her, been a grand mare, and would like to think she maybe seen on the track before heading to stud, if she's still sound of course.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Guess on the day anything is possible, only needs two bidders desperately wanting her, been a grand mare, and would like to think she maybe seen on the track before heading to stud, if she's still sound of course.

What I don't understand is why sell your best mare if you are in the breeding game?

FFS Pete Lane if you want to have a go reactivate your account here and let rip.   BOAY allows ALL opinions to be posted.  You can't say that for the two forums you frequent.

So what is your estimate for the sale price?  

21 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

FFS Pete Lane if you want to have a go reactivate your account here and let rip.   BOAY allows ALL opinions to be posted.  You can't say that for the two forums you frequent.

What has he posted? 

21 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I think I said a million. 

Don't laugh , but I used to just value 'tried' horses (Fillies and mares mainly) at the amount they they earned in prizemoney. just a rough guide so don't be too harsh 😅.

I would of valued Melody Belle at 4 million, Imperatriz at 6 million .. 

and Belclare at $900,000 as that is what she could earn.  so quite close to Pete's guesstimate. 

so e.g  if someone like 'Renaissance Woman' turned up for sale it would be approx $600,000 .😃

13 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Don't laugh , but I used to just value 'tried' horses (Fillies and mares mainly) at the amount they they earned in prizemoney. just a rough guide so don't be too harsh 😅.

I would of valued Melody Belle at 4 million, Imperatriz at 6 million .. 

and Belclare at $900,000 as that is what she could earn.  so quite close to Pete's guesstimate. 

so e.g  if someone like 'Renaissance Woman' turned up for sale it would be approx $600,000 .😃

Hang on a minute I thought the other crowd were saying a million plus?

30 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Hang on a minute I thought the other crowd were saying a million plus?

could well be.

A very good friend of mine , recently raced his first galloper for 3 years (as a 5% shareholder) as that is very common over here , as they list up to 20 Owners in the race book. 

The galloper won a couple at Flemington and finished it's career of about 25 starts,  at that broodmare sale , as is the way with all these syndicated mares these days. sold for $200,000 odd , (which was about what it earned). He was devastated though as after all the 'fees ' and 'adjustments' and No chance of a foal from the start or anything, he was lucky to finish just a few thousand in front. not much at all in fact. and steadfastly refusing to get another one after that . just not a great experience as it turned out and well short of 'sale' price it deserved too....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pete Lane said:

No I said halfwit.

Let’s see, one thing I will say is the horse has been very well placed since it started racing, well done for trainer and connections. 

But, she is small, never raced in Australia and some of those fields she has beat have been average at best. Not knocking the horse, would love to own her but would be far better buys for mine if ya talking a million. 

Can’t understand connections selling…

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Let’s see, one thing I will say is the horse has been very well placed since it started racing, well done for trainer and connections. 

But, she is small, never raced in Australia and some of those fields she has beat have been average at best. Not knocking the horse, would love to own her but would be far better buys for mine if ya talking a million. 

Per Incanto mare with two G1 wins. 

The connections are selling because it's a syndicate and also because one of the principal shareholders owns family members.

6 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

I probably shouldn't have called you a halfwit but, to me, $250,000 is way too low.

• Like 1

Just now, Pete Lane said:

I probably shouldn't have called you a halfwit but, to me, $250,000 is way too low.

No, that’s fine everyone will have different views, not offended at all. 
More I think about it, $250k is probably too low, maybe up towards $500k. But hey, if connections get $1mil, well done 👍👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is Per Incanto proving to be a good broodmare sire?  Honest question as I've not researched it.

If you are in the breeding business why sell your best mare?

Another question -  last year she was eligible for a $1m bonus if she won the Empire Rose in November.  Since she won the Thoroughbred Breeders Stakes again is that bonus on the table again?

• Haha 1

On 4/04/2024 at 8:34 PM, Pete Lane said:

Per Incanto mare with two G1 wins. 

The connections are selling because it's a syndicate and also because one of the principal shareholders owns family members.

G1 win in NZ means little nowadays….. just hack racing mostly. 
Watch Aus racing today at main tracks if you want to see good horses competing 

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

G1 win in NZ means little nowadays….. just hack racing mostly. 
Watch Aus racing today at main tracks if you want to see good horses competing 

Some Aussie group 1s are a bit suspect these days due to all the distorting races.

That Tancred field last week was a mere shadow of the race in its earlier years. In NZ people would be saying it should lose its group 1 status.

• Like 1