NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

When will these AWT's take off? Awapuni trials cancelled... 23-04-2024

On 24/06/2024 at 2:42 PM, curious said:

Anyone spotted the trial fields for Riccarton tomorrow? Seems to have mysteriously disappeared off the calendar but no notice from NZTR to date.

Well they've ended up with 17 noms for 2 heats before the races tomorrow. 2yo heat was deleted.

Which makes me wonder, if, with a bit more flexibility in programming [ i.e. having some idea what grades/distances are wanted at any given time] most of those horses trialling might have chosen to go around at the races.   Cheaper, for starters.

The 2yo's on the other hand need encouragement, as their opportunities are very limited. But their trial gets deleted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freda said:

The 2yo's on the other hand need encouragement, as their opportunities are very limited. But their trial gets deleted.

Don't forget the 2yr olds are rising 3yr olds.  Doesn't bode well for the Spring.

• Like 2

The other thing that it raises is the possibility of running 2 or 3 trial heats on race days like this before the meeting but do so on a regular basis. That might mitigate the dearth of grass trials and thereby reduce owner costs. Because full sets of gates are available larger heats can also be run where required.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, curious said:

The other thing that it raises is the possibility of running 2 or 3 trial heats on race days like this before the meeting but do so on a regular basis. That might mitigate the dearth of grass trials and thereby reduce owner costs. Because full sets of gates are available larger heats can also be run where required.

The trials tomorrow are on the AWT.

25 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The trials tomorrow are on the AWT.

Yes but they could do the same thing before grass meetings routinely. From memory, the CJC recently did, although they won't run full trial meetings on the grass track.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Don't forget the 2yr olds are rising 3yr olds.  Doesn't bode well for the Spring.

I always think exactly the same myself. The lack of 2yo opportunities must reflect on the Spring 3yo racing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, curious said:

Far, far, far too sensible.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, curious said:

I'll see what sort of response that gets from the T.A.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Freda said:

I'll see what sort of response that gets from the T.A.

Thanks. I'm a member if you need another vote :) I won't hold my breath though. It does seem a low cost solution  given stipes, gates, cameras, commentator etc. are already there. Down here in Canterbury, assuming regular jumpouts get underway now at Rangiora, the combination would be a reasonable outcome.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/06/2024 at 12:39 PM, Freda said:

The local branch President thinks it's a good idea.

There was, however, less enthusiasm from management.   What if the gates were damaged by a difficult horse in a trial?  was the comment...the races would have to be abandoned...

1 hour ago, Freda said:

There was, however, less enthusiasm from management.   What if the gates were damaged by a difficult horse in a trial?  was the comment...the races would have to be abandoned...

Oh for Pete's sake.

• Like 1

As per normal…. So many experts that only moan. Do something about it, get all trainers together and pull horses in protest. Hardly going to affect the owners, as they are used to meetings getting cancelled🤭

Do something…. Hardly worth moaning on here, only about 20 of your mates comment…

43 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

As per normal…. So many experts that only moan. Do something about it, get all trainers together and pull horses in protest. Hardly going to affect the owners, as they are used to meetings getting cancelled🤭

Do something…. Hardly worth moaning on here, only about 20 of your mates comment…

Hardly going to affect owners...the sub group that supplies and funds the product..ffs

47 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

You obviously are just a punter and have alternatives.

Being a trainer in NZ is bit like the Prisoners Dilemma.  At Riccarton it would only take one trainer to speak out to get changes but self-interest always prevails.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You obviously are just a punter and have alternatives.

Being a trainer in NZ is bit like the Prisoners Dilemma.  At Riccarton it would only take one trainer to speak out to get changes but self-interest always prevails.

For once I agree, we have a couple of Riccarton trainers on here, why not stand up and make a name for themselves. Weak…. Weak…

And yes, I am just a punter…. But looking to race a galloper in Aus, 50/50 this stage

10 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

For once I agree, we have a couple of Riccarton trainers on here, why not stand up and make a name for themselves. Weak…. Weak…

I believe they have tried and the reaction hasn't been pleasant.  There are probably only 2 or 3 trainers at Riccarton that could make a difference.  One believes everything is going swimmingly!   Pun intended.

10 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

And yes, I am just a punter…. But looking to race a galloper in Aus, 50/50 this stage

You'll need deep pockets.  There will be some easy pickings in NZ over the next couple of seasons.  Depending on the key tracks being OK of course.

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Hardly going to affect owners...the sub group that supplies and funds the product..ffs

It's the owners that should be speaking up and taking action. They don't have the risks of doing so that trainers might. However, the statutory collective for them is totally useless and probably has about 10% of current owners in their membership. Not that they seem to be doing anything about that, so they actually have a voice.

• Like 3

Another curious thing about the AWT strategy here is that they shut them down for half the year when they could provide a forgiving summer surface for the pool of horses that are suited to them. I note in the UK, they are about to start their mid-summer racing league series with half those events to be staged on synthetic tracks under lights.

29 minutes ago, curious said:

Another curious thing about the AWT strategy here is that they shut them down for half the year when they could provide a forgiving summer surface for the pool of horses that are suited to them. I note in the UK, they are about to start their mid-summer racing league series with half those events to be staged on synthetic tracks under lights.

I had that exact same thought last night.  The whole AWT strategy is arse about face.  

The strategy was to provide a racing surface that could be used during the winter to avoid abandonments.

Yet the horses that pitch up in the winter want soft to heavy tracks.

I'd be thinking twice about breeding a mudder!

23 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I had that exact same thought last night.  The whole AWT strategy is arse about face.  

The strategy was to provide a racing surface that could be used during the winter to avoid abandonments.

Yet the horses that pitch up in the winter want soft to heavy tracks.

I'd be thinking twice about breeding a mudder!

Not sure its anyone's real intention to breed a mudder.

What's worse about the racing in winter in NZ we are seeing is the significant bias (towards outside fence) in every track.

20 minutes ago, Huey said:

Not sure its anyone's real intention to breed a mudder.

What's worse about the racing in winter in NZ we are seeing is the significant bias (towards outside fence) in every track.

Weren't you arguing for cambered tracks a while back?  Heading to the outside fence is a consequence.