Lol no I don’t have a share

Bookmakers set the books not me they have him on the 4th line of betting

No ones placing any pressure on the horse

Cross Counter just won the Melbourne Cup after 7 starts

How many starts did So You Think have before it won the Cox Plate

The Cox Plate is 11 months away

Do you have a problem with the Stable??

You can only beat what’s in front of you

I’m certainly not bagging the horse...as you correctly said, he can only beat what’s in front of him....and therein lies the problem....1.36.37 with the first 1000 in 1.04...so regardless of how well he finished the race, so if he is a horse of considered potential, he was entitled to fly home. 

Kiwi Ida ran 1.22.9, home in 33.6....

The only issue I’ve got with TA is we’ve been there before......they’ve got a track record with over hyping horses ...Xtravagant, Embellish, Age of Fire...  but then again they were colts...and they have a market share to grow and protect in a difficult environment.

1 hour ago, MaltedMilkshake said:

I’m certainly not bagging the horse...as you correctly said, he can only beat what’s in front of him....and therein lies the problem....1.36.37 with the first 1000 in 1.04...so regardless of how well he finished the race, so if he is a horse of considered potential, he was entitled to fly home. 

Kiwi Ida ran 1.22.9, home in 33.6....

Times are irrelevant they mean nothing to me there are that many variables in races

If  I done my ratings on times horses that won over the 1200 at Trentham would be Everest contenders

Whether they run 1-36 or 1-33 for the 1600 is irrelevant 

If TAS and Kiwi Ida were both running over 1400 I know who I would be backing

The fact TA have failed in Australia before is also irrelevant 

Would you like a list of Godolphins failed Melbourne Cup attempts??

This year they had the right horse and they won

TAS is a serious horse my opinion he can win in group company in Australia do I think he can beat The Autumn Sun NO!

TAS v TAS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaltedMilkshake said:

therein lies the problem....1.36.37 with the first 1000 in 1.04...so regardless of how well he finished the race, so if he is a horse of considered potential, he was entitled to fly home. 

I’ll also help you out here when they run their first 1000 in 1.04 it’s the leaders who are entitled to get home 

5 hours ago, VC! said:

Times are irrelevant they mean nothing to me there are that many variables in races

If  I done my ratings on times horses that won over the 1200 at Trentham would be Everest contenders

Doesn't the fastest horse from the starting point to the finish line win the race?

As for Trentham, I'd agree on comparing times as a number has no point. But who would do that when Trentham on a good track would be 1.5 - 2 seconds quicker as a track than Randwick on a good track, over 1200m.

2 hours ago, mardigras said:

Doesn't the fastest horse from the starting point to the finish line win the race?

As for Trentham, I'd agree on comparing times as a number has no point. But who would do that when Trentham on a good track would be 1.5 - 2 seconds quicker as a track than Randwick on a good track, over 1200m.

In every race Rod the horse that runs the quickest time will win 

If you watch the finish of TAS's race at Christchurch you'll see OP urging him..he was never extended before then, never at Hastings either especially when Coleman rode him..I reckon OP was just trying him out to see what he had left...which was plenty..! This is a serious horse, he's better than any of the previous Te Akau pretenders...I think he was on a learning curve at Chch and thats why OP wanted him to learn about being pushed to the finish...outstanding horse..

• Like 1

Racing: Shark circles A$5m bait

21 Nov, 2018 5:00am
 4 minutes to read
Te Akau Shark wowed fans winning the Coupland's Bakeries Mile at Riccarton last week. Photo / Race Images South
Te Akau Shark wowed fans winning the Coupland's Bakeries Mile at Riccarton last week. Photo / Race Images South
NZ Herald

By: Michael Guerin

What could have been a A$5 million dream race for New Zealand's most exciting galloper might be ruled out by inter-state rivalry.

Because Te Akau boss David Ellis says he won't deviate from a career-long philosophy to aim Te Akau Shark at the new All Star Mile at Flemington in March.

Victorian racing bosses have announced the new glamour race of their autumn carnival for March 16, with it to alternate between Flemington, Moonee Valley and Caulfield over the next three years.

One of the novelty factors of the new race will be the public will get to vote on 10 of those who get to start after nominations are taken, with the remaining four spots selected by Racing Victoria in a wild card capacity, meaning any horse is eligible.

The most obvious question on the minds of all Australian racing fans will be whether Winx, who looks certain to race on in the autumn, can be lured to Melbourne one last time or whether trainer Chris Waller will stick to his tried and true formula closer to home.

But in New Zealand the question revolves around Te Akau Shark, who wowed racing fans with his dazzling sectionals winning the Coupland's Mile at Riccarton last Wednesday.

While he didn't beat anything like what he would meet in a major Australian race Te Akau Shark was stunning both to the eye and on the sectionals clock and when champion jockey Opie Bosson labels him one of the best he has ridden they are words to be taken seriously.

But the Shark chasing the All Star Mile story could be short lived.

While Ellis loves the innovation of the new race he says the weight-for-age conditions could be too early for Te Akau Shark.

"I think we have to take advantage of his lower position in the weights while we can," Ellis told the Herald.

"It has been a policy of mine all along in racing to give them a chance at the good handicap races when you can because once we step him up to weight-for-age that is where he will stay.

"I can see him getting into a race like the Doncaster (Sydney, April 6) with 53.5kgs at the moment so that will be his main target."

Ellis admits he won't know whether attempting both races without the possibility of a re-handicap is likely until at least next week when a decision is made on when the weights for the Doncaster will be released.

Once they are out the Te Akau Shark can't be re-handicapped for winning a weight-for-age race like the All Star Mile.

But the Australian Turf Club has yet to announce when they will release the Doncaster weights and while it would usually be late February, with the current state of heated competition between NSW and Victoria, the weights being put back to after the All Star Mile isn't outside the realms of possibility.

"Once we know that we will know more about the chances of taking him to Melbourne. But the first plan is Sydney for the Doncaster and then, all going well, the Queen Elizabeth."

The latter could see Te Akau Shark taking on Winx in what could very well be her last race and while the giant chestnut has yet to race at 2000m, Ellis believes he will get that trip.

His dam Bak De Chief won the 2006 Waikato Cup over 2400m and none of her five career wins came in races shorter than 2000m.

Te Akau Shark's win was the highlight of a rollercoaster week for Te Akau, with last season's 2000 Guineas winner Embellish retired to Cambridge Stud this week after failing to show his best again last Saturday.

But on the positive side of the ledger, last season's champion juvenile filly Avantage has been given the all clear to return to work by the vets after recovering from a back problem after her comeback win at Hastings in September.

"It will be great to have her back working but it might come a little late for the Karaka Classic in January," admits Ellis. "Still, she will have plenty of options in Sydney and Queensland later in the season."

The stable's early season sprinter-miler superstar Melody Belle is pleasing trainer Jamie Richards and is set to trial at Matamata next Tuesday before being aimed at the Railway (Ellerslie, January 1) and the Telegraph (Trentham, January 19).