Bit Of A Yarn

Timaru off

Timaru has been held up as an example of good management, and it has seemed as if NZTR have at last come to accept what an important venue Timaru is.

Talk about shooting yourselves in the foot, you clowns.

Irrigation nil, no rainfall, stated all week on the website...yet the rating goes out from a 5 to a six ?  how?

I was told last week that the K-lines were out, and a trainer was told yesterday morning that the groundbreaker had been used, AND irrigation applied.

So, obviously, untruths have been published, and well and truly come back to bite them in the arse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Freda said:

Timaru has been held up as an example of good management, and it has seemed as if NZTR have at last come to accept what an important venue Timaru is.

Irrigation nil, no rainfall, stated all week on the website...yet the rating goes out from a 5 to a six ?  how?

I was told last week that the K-lines were out, and a trainer was told yesterday morning that the groundbreaker had been used, AND irrigation applied.

So, obviously, untruths have been published, and well and truly come back to bite them in the arse.

As usual Freda nothing will happen. Another pointless investigation and no finger pointing afterwards.

• Sad 1

Great post Freda. I have long suspected that the track updates from NZTR, e.g. nil irrigation, are a work of fiction. The more serious punters are getting very wary and weary and even the regular smaller betting enthusiasts are at the point of, 'why bother'? Then there is the serious cost of time and money to the connections of the horses who time after time are turning up to a non event. A master class from NZTR on how to piss off every sector of the industry. 

• Like 4

Naturally Mr Kennedy will have his travel costs reimbursed, because he is so highly revered , as a money magnet for the TAB.

For all those other participants, from the Deep South to North Canterbury, you can all  suck it up and get stuffed.

• Fake News! 1

38 minutes ago, Freda said:

Oatham said there had been a couple of showers this morning. But at Timaru airport less than 5kms away, there was NO rain measured between midnight and midday.

• Haha 1

Race 1 WAIMATE RC ANNUAL RACEDAY MILE 1600m
CATALINA BAY (K Williams) - Slow away.
KING OF THE DANCE (S Toolooa) - Slow away.
ELANIA (R Muniandy) - Restrained to obtain cover after jumping from a wide barrier.
JETHRO (D Tait) - Over raced in the early stages when attempting to obtain cover and raced three wide without cover
throughout.
SAILING AWAY (N Parmar) - Lay out under pressure in the straight
The track was downgraded to Soft 6 retrospective to Race 1.

Race 2 GM ACCOUNTING & CONSULTING MAIDEN 1200m
SKYLARK (L Hemi) - Declared a late scratching at 12.10pm after bucking during the preliminary dislodging its rider
who was uninjured. Trainer N Mitchell was advised that SKYLARK is required to trial to the satisfaction of a
Stipendiary Steward prior to racing next.
CLASSIC COUNTRY (C Campbell) - Slow away. Raced greenly throughout, running wide going into the bend passing the
1000 metres.
BEACH BOY (A Goindasamy) - Slow away.
DUJOUR (C Barnes) - Slow away.
STORMY BELLE (L Callaway) - Slow away then being ridden with urgency to recover. Raced three wide without cover.
UGET WHAT YOU GIVE (N Parmar) - Lost its footing and blundered going into the bend near the 1000 metres.
Inconvenienced near the 150 metres when LISE PAREE shifted inwards under pressure.
Following this race it was reported that UGET WHAT YOU GIVE (N Parmar) had lost its footing going into the bend
near the 1000 metres. Video footage confirmed a significant slip when the filly was racing free of interference. After
meeting with riders, an inspection committee comprising Stipendiary Stewards, Jockey and Club representatives, and
the Jockey Mentor, undertook a track inspection which revealed a significant slip mark at the commencement of the
bend along with numerous other areas of concern. Following a further meeting of riders the remainder of the
meeting was abandoned due to track safety concerns.

• Like 1

Good afternoon

Given the abandonment of the Waimate Meeting at Timaru on Sunday after two races a new meeting has been scheduled for the synthetic track at Riccarton Park on Wednesday 12 June. This meeting will require new nominations. NZTR looked at grass alternatives at both Oamaru and Ashburton, however these options were not viable.

Nominations for both Wednesday and Thursday at Riccarton will close at 12 noon on Monday 10 June. Please nominate on-line if possible. If nominating via the bureau please be very specific as to which day you are nominating for. Withdrawals for Wednesday’s meeting will close with the bureau at 2pm on Monday 10 June. Withdrawals for the Thursday meeting will close at the usual time of 10am on Tuesday 11 June.

The programme for Wednesday will be:

R65 F&M 1200m (Pearl Series) $17,000

Open 1200m                                     $22,000

Mdn 2200m                                       $17,000

R75 2200m                                        $17,000

Mdn 1600m                                       $17,000

Open 1600m (Waimate Cup)    $30,000

R65 1600m                                        $17,000

R60 1400m                                        $17,000 (originally scheduled for Thursday)

Horses that did not gain a start at Timaru on Sunday will be given preference for this meeting. NZTR and the club, as always, reserve the right to delete races due to insufficient nominations or double nominations.

The programme for Thursday remains the same with the exception of the R60 1400m being brought forward to Wednesday. This programme is:

Open 1400m                                    $22,000

R75 1800m                                       $17,000

R65 F&M 1600m (Pearl Series)$17,000

R65 1200m                                       $17,000

Mdn 1600m                                      $17,000

Mdn 1400m                                      $17,000

Mdn 2YO+ 1200m                          $17,000

3YO 1400m                                       $17,000                                             

4 minutes ago, curious said:

Good afternoon

Given the abandonment of the Waimate Meeting at Timaru on Sunday after two races a new meeting has been scheduled for the synthetic track at Riccarton Park on Wednesday 12 June. This meeting will require new nominations. NZTR looked at grass alternatives at both Oamaru and Ashburton, however these options were not viable.

Nominations for both Wednesday and Thursday at Riccarton will close at 12 noon on Monday 10 June. Please nominate on-line if possible. If nominating via the bureau please be very specific as to which day you are nominating for. Withdrawals for Wednesday’s meeting will close with the bureau at 2pm on Monday 10 June. Withdrawals for the Thursday meeting will close at the usual time of 10am on Tuesday 11 June.

The programme for Wednesday will be:

R65 F&M 1200m (Pearl Series) $17,000

Open 1200m                                     $22,000

Mdn 2200m                                       $17,000

R75 2200m                                        $17,000

Mdn 1600m                                       $17,000

Open 1600m (Waimate Cup)    $30,000

R65 1600m                                        $17,000

R60 1400m                                        $17,000 (originally scheduled for Thursday)

Horses that did not gain a start at Timaru on Sunday will be given preference for this meeting. NZTR and the club, as always, reserve the right to delete races due to insufficient nominations or double nominations.

The programme for Thursday remains the same with the exception of the R60 1400m being brought forward to Wednesday. This programme is:

Open 1400m                                    $22,000

R75 1800m                                       $17,000

R65 F&M 1600m (Pearl Series)$17,000

R65 1200m                                       $17,000

Mdn 1600m                                      $17,000

Mdn 1400m                                      $17,000

Mdn 2YO+ 1200m                          $17,000

3YO 1400m                                       $17,000                                             

There weren't many Southeners there, lucky for those who didn't go but what a waste of time all round.

Oamaru next ,Thursday week, next year Oamaru moves forward to a Sunday, seems odd two grass meetings in 3 days.

15 minutes ago, curious said:

I was just thinking today looking at the past and future calendar that the Riccarton AWT doesn't seem to get much use to pay its way!

27 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Guess what!  The video has been taken down!!!!

screenshot-loveracing.nz-2024.06.09-16_26_23.png

If it was a soft 6 or even a 5 I can't see how irrigation if it had been done would have made a difference one way or another.

Have a look at the first. Cutting out and shifty to my eye and I was very pleased we didn't go.

20 minutes ago, curious said:

Have a look at the first. Cutting out and shifty to my eye and I was very pleased we didn't go.

I was going to go! but at 7.08 our internet crashed and I could contact the mate who was going to give me a lift! He went and got there just in time watch the 2nd,  his horse and trainer arrived 5 minutes later and they didn't even unload from the float! 2nd abandoned  meeting for their horse!  Don't want to start on the syn track, hoping for Oamaru.  They did get a payment for the cancelled Wingatui meeting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

I was going to go! but at 7.08 our internet crashed and I could contact the mate who was going to give me a lift! He went and got there just in time watch the 2nd,  his horse and trainer arrived 5 minutes later and they didn't even unload from the float! 2nd abandoned  meeting for their horse!  Don't want to start on the syn track, hoping for Oamaru.  They did get a payment for the cancelled Wingatui meeting.

Should get one for this too but it will nowhere near cover costs.

3 hours ago, Wingman said:

The more serious punters are getting very wary and weary...

tick..   so many meeting now a days are what I call Owners meetings, there for them to try and wins some stake money. No serious punter would want to bet into them. 

Why only 3 N.I. jockey's took part in the inspection?(Leah Hemi...Warren Kennedy...Niranjan Parmar)..S.I. Riders not up to it...??.. Just because they can't ride doesn't mean that they can't take part in a track inpection... 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mustang Kenny said:

So it was downgraded to a Soft 6 and yet how the winner of race two went the same time it ran when third on the same track last April when it was .... a Good 4!

And the winner of the first 2yo trial went 44.46!

• Like 1

A shambles of monumental proportions whatever way you look at it.

It almost makes one think that the normally reliable Timaru team was lacking their very competent driver...was he unwell? unavailable? or was he under pressure from another source perhaps?  and why, if so, would that be necessary?   Anyone who can read should have been aware that drought conditions have been prevailing in South Canterbury .

What concerns me most however, is the blatant untruth posted on the NZTR website.  

At which point did the undisputable fact that irrigation was applied and had been from at least the beginning of the week, become ' irrigation nil'  ?

That is a very serious matter, IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Freda said:

A shambles of monumental proportions whatever way you look at it.

It almost makes one think that the normally reliable Timaru team was lacking their very competent driver...was he unwell? unavailable? or was he under pressure from another source perhaps?  and why, if so, would that be necessary?   Anyone who can read should have been aware that drought conditions have been prevailing in South Canterbury .

What concerns me most however, is the blatant untruth posted on the NZTR website.  

At which point did the undisputable fact that irrigation was applied and had been from at least the beginning of the week, become ' irrigation nil'  ?

That is a very serious matter, IMO. 

I'm very surprised that there is no mention of the irrigation in the stipes report on the matter. It will also be interesting to see if NZTR pays the club its race day fees given the apparent non-compliance (or worse) with race day preparation guidelines and protocols.

• Like 2