NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Timaru off

2 hours ago, Murray Fish said:

what about punters who actually Bet in larger numbers, and actually like to SEE the horses before they wager? I could continue in this vane..  

Ok if there were three NZ race meetings evenly spread across the day then that would be one race every 20 minutes.  Subtract 3 x 5 (duration of race plus barrier filming) = 15 mins.   So that leaves 45 mins to do the parade ring and preliminary for 36 horses.

Might work.

On 10/06/2024 at 9:11 AM, Doomed said:

This is a disaster on so many levels. Poor bloody Waimate who got kicked off their own track, which never used to cost the industry anything, and told to go and race at Timaru. The poor Timaru club who have been told they aren't needed either and have battled away under adversity. It must be so hard for them to keep motivated. The poor trainers who just want a chance to race their horses on a grass track like they always used to be able to do.

NZTR will be high fiving and laughing all the way to the bank. All they want to do is get rid of the grass tracks and race on Winston's Provincial track for six months of the year. As I said, a total disaster.

I watched the first race and thought it looked incredibly rain affected considering no rain and no irrigation all week. I watched it on my computer though rather than on TV so I thought it perhaps wasn't as wet as it looked.  They looked like they were in for a great day after the tight finish in the first. All very sad, for the industry as a whole really.

Agree, bloody crying shame waimate not being able to use its track, especially after they renewed the grandstand as well, do they still use it for harness racing, if not, what has become of the facility 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Ok if there were three NZ race meetings evenly spread across the day then that would be one race every 20 minutes.  Subtract 3 x 5 (duration of race plus barrier filming) = 15 mins.   So that leaves 45 mins to do the parade ring and preliminary for 36 horses.

Might work.

Sadly all rather hypothetical,  as Wingman said, the promises of dedicating nz racing to one channel was just more  'piss in the wind'. 

Sigh, I more and more resigned to the fact that my style of betting will not be catered for!

I have a Iron rule, 100% locked in.  I Have to see the horse and hopefully get a good look at the ones I think are the ones that can also win.  Sometimes for the group races it almost happens!

But the reality is that the TAB are now locked into the model they have,  it doesn't need to cater for my style of betting, plenty of mugs will to lose their money, though the pool is getting smaller..  talking the TAB, there was a 4 page advt recently in the ODT, I photo it and put it up, I think is shows what direction they see betting going...

55 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

Sadly all rather hypothetical,  as Wingman said, the promises of dedicating nz racing to one channel was just more  'piss in the wind'. 

Sigh, I more and more resigned to the fact that my style of betting will not be catered for!

I have a Iron rule, 100% locked in.  I Have to see the horse and hopefully get a good look at the ones I think are the ones that can also win.  Sometimes for the group races it almost happens!

But the reality is that the TAB are now locked into the model they have,  it doesn't need to cater for my style of betting, plenty of mugs will to lose their money, though the pool is getting smaller..  talking the TAB, there was a 4 page advt recently in the ODT, I photo it and put it up, I think is shows what direction they see betting going...

In reality you want a dedicated channel for NZ thoroughbred racing.  Perhaps NZTR could fund it?

1 hour ago, Murray Fish said:

.  talking the TAB, there was a 4 page advt recently in the ODT, I photo it and put it up, I think is shows what direction they see betting going...

The ODT still has racing , am I correct ?

Either way its still a good paper.

A clarification. The dedicated ch 62 for NZ racing was always going to be for G1 and Premier days which generally produce the most turnover. I don't have a problem with saturation racing outside those days as we shouldn't expect that type of attention every Saturday. To cover the rebuttal that the pop channel is exclusive on the really big carnival days. Yes but they are are talk fest and on those days I think all channels are MIA. Finally last decade there was some surveying done on punters needs but new incoming executive knew better and ignored feedback 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wingman said:

A clarification. The dedicated ch 62 for NZ racing was always going to be for G1 and Premier days which generally produce the most turnover. I don't have a problem with saturation racing outside those days as we shouldn't expect that type of attention every Saturday. To cover the rebuttal that the pop channel is exclusive on the really big carnival days. Yes but they are are talk fest and on those days I think all channels are MIA. Finally last decade there was some surveying done on punters needs but new incoming executive knew better and ignored feedback 

There is the pop-up Trackside channel 64 which we get for the big raced days like the Karaka Millions.  But the coverage is a bit cheesy and largely advertorial.  The Ozzies know how to do it more punchy.

On 6/10/2024 at 9:11 AM, Doomed said:

This is a disaster on so many levels. Poor bloody Waimate who got kicked off their own track, which never used to cost the industry anything, and told to go and race at Timaru. The poor Timaru club who have been told they aren't needed either and have battled away under adversity. It must be so hard for them to keep motivated. The poor trainers who just want a chance to race their horses on a grass track like they always used to be able to do.

NZTR will be high fiving and laughing all the way to the bank. All they want to do is get rid of the grass tracks and race on Winston's Provincial track for six months of the year. As I said, a total disaster.

I watched the first race and thought it looked incredibly rain affected considering no rain and no irrigation all week. I watched it on my computer though rather than on TV so I thought it perhaps wasn't as wet as it looked.  They looked like they were in for a great day after the tight finish in the first. All very sad, for the industry as a whole really.

I often read in these columns that racing on certain , often the closed ones , cost the Industry nothing .

I very much doubt if this is the case  as I'd estimate that most race meetings cost  the Industry money. Yes it is sad that these Clubs have drifted into obscurity over the years . Living mostly in the South Island I've seen it with my own eyes and often wondered why more effort wasn't put in to hold on to dates that they had. I particularly liked Washdyke ,particularly as it had the ability to race both allweather and grass harness as well. Of course its Steeplechase ability and good winter weather steered it into winter racing plus the Cup day before the New Year at height of summer holiday racing.It used to host 7 or more meetings including 2 x Xmas Holiday dates. Waimate too had mainly winter dates between May-July which dwindled to just one meeting until its closure in 2019. IMO it is unbelievable that NZTR said it never received a submission for it to stay open ,while Waimate said they sent one. . A big breakdown there. And the few comments I read from the Club suggests the Club thought they doing well. However the betting numbers would suggest otherwise  ,as Waimate's numbers making it the smallest [by t/o] club in NZ. The other shame is that in recent years significant funds had been spent on renovating their infrastructure .The Club still had money in the bank . They have shared meetings with other tracks in area but possibly would have done better as part of a 'cluster' .

Timaru ,back in a day had a sizeable number of horses trained there...their demise more baffling. Reading a few reports on line ,they seem to attract local sponsors etc but their AGM's must hardly make a quorum as usually only the committee and officers attend. And their betting figures over the years have been quite poor . Weigh up the fact  that infrastructure is poor as well and little wonder these Clubs stocks have dropped. The Industry pays the stakes and race meeting costs plus contributions to infrastucture eg running rail , towers ,equipment etc . So wrong to say they cost the Industry nothing to remain open.

Maybe no worse than the synthetic track at Riccarton . While Ashburton   may not be too much better but it obviously got the nod to move into the future .                                                         .

8 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Maybe no worse than the synthetic track at Riccarton . While Ashburton   may not be too much better but it obviously got the nod to move into the future .

How will Ashburton move into the future?  Will take more than a nod.

On 12/06/2024 at 8:51 AM, Chief Stipe said:

In reality you want a dedicated channel for NZ thoroughbred racing.  Perhaps NZTR could fund it?

Not so much that I would like, yes I would like. It was promised that it was going to happen, but didn't, and the chances of it happening are @500/1   the 'industry' is locked into the current model  I presume a 'profit crisis' will kick in at some stage, as a older punters pass and the younger ones will bet on sport etc,,,  sigh

23 hours ago, mikeynz said:

the odt i believe still have a racing lift out for the sat races, but didn;t for the last sunday races..

I put up the lift out I was referring to,,,

re is it a good paper, umm, yes for lighting the fire!   :)

13 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

I often read in these columns that racing on certain , often the closed ones , cost the Industry nothing .

I very much doubt if this is the case  as I'd estimate that most race meetings cost  the Industry money. Yes it is sad that these Clubs have drifted into obscurity over the years . Living mostly in the South Island I've seen it with my own eyes and often wondered why more effort wasn't put in to hold on to dates that they had. I particularly liked Washdyke ,particularly as it had the ability to race both allweather and grass harness as well. Of course its Steeplechase ability and good winter weather steered it into winter racing plus the Cup day before the New Year at height of summer holiday racing.It used to host 7 or more meetings including 2 x Xmas Holiday dates. Waimate too had mainly winter dates between May-July which dwindled to just one meeting until its closure in 2019. IMO it is unbelievable that NZTR said it never received a submission for it to stay open ,while Waimate said they sent one. . A big breakdown there. And the few comments I read from the Club suggests the Club thought they doing well. However the betting numbers would suggest otherwise  ,as Waimate's numbers making it the smallest [by t/o] club in NZ. The other shame is that in recent years significant funds had been spent on renovating their infrastructure .The Club still had money in the bank . They have shared meetings with other tracks in area but possibly would have done better as part of a 'cluster' .

Timaru ,back in a day had a sizeable number of horses trained there...their demise more baffling. Reading a few reports on line ,they seem to attract local sponsors etc but their AGM's must hardly make a quorum as usually only the committee and officers attend. And their betting figures over the years have been quite poor . Weigh up the fact  that infrastructure is poor as well and little wonder these Clubs stocks have dropped. The Industry pays the stakes and race meeting costs plus contributions to infrastucture eg running rail , towers ,equipment etc . So wrong to say they cost the Industry nothing to remain open.

Maybe no worse than the synthetic track at Riccarton . While Ashburton   may not be too much better but it obviously got the nod to move into the future .                                                         .

I might be running off in a slightly different direction but a article I read in the Timaru Herald recently regarding Timaru, basically wanting more dates, but the President wanting to get some jumps meetings again, jumps racing is basically dead south of Cook Strait, one wonders how much longer Riccarton keep the National jumps races.

12 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I might be running off in a slightly different direction but a article I read in the Timaru Herald recently regarding Timaru, basically wanting more dates, but the President wanting to get some jumps meetings again, jumps racing is basically dead south of Cook Strait, one wonders how much longer Riccarton keep the National jumps races.

Basically  dead ?  it IS dead, no jumping at all apart from the Nationals propped up by northern horses.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

I bet my mate likes the syn track, his horse bolts into! ye ha! :)

Good on him.  But does the form run on a turf track?

We don't have enough horses that like it for one track let alone three AWT'S!

• Like 2

I can't draw myself away from the fact of the irresponsibility of anyone, let alone the Racing Minister, pissing such money up the wall with these AWT's.  And then all the simpletons smiling and nodding away like one of those dogs that used to sit by the rear window of certain cars.  It was plainly obvious the funding could have been spent in a far better manner.  Are people easily influenced by "powerful" bodies, or do they just not have a mind of their own?

Yes.     Taxpayers' money too which doesn't sit well with me, given the level of subsidisation the industry gets already.

But the Racing Minister was misinformed by those whom he could reasonably have expected to have had some idea.

And that funding was specifically for AWT's.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

How will Ashburton move into the future?  Will take more than a nod.

Hmm, yeah.  Facilities for horses very average, they do their best as I alluded, with very little help but it isn't a venue that too many enjoy.

However their groundsman [ Snooky Cowan ] aided by Jeff McLaughlin and the committee members have, in recent times, produced a very good track.

Despite last week's rare mistake Timaru is vastly superior as a venue on all counts.

• Like 1

Was Tim Mills taking the piss?

Just thinking about Trainers.  The one factor that affects them the most they have the least control over.  The state of the track.

Add to that the reliance on the talent and skill of a sometimes random jockey...

The looks of despondency on a Trainers and staff faces sometimes after a race when all their weeks of hard work has been undone in less than 2 minutes because of things outside their control...

Episode 2 GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1