NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Finalists found for Industry Excellence Awards

Finalists found for Industry Excellence Awards

Press Release - Entain Australian & NZ
10 July 2024
The finalists for the inaugural Industry Excellence Awards powered by Entain, have been named after more than 100 high-quality entries were received for the awards that recognises the future leaders and rising stars of the New Zealand racing industry.

There are 29 finalists across the nine award categories, and the judges found the selection process challenging, due to the depth and strength of candidates nominated.

“We were hugely impressed by the calibre of the nominations, and it was a great reminder of the absolutely outstanding people we have involved in all areas of the
racing industry in New Zealand,” Entain’s General Manager – New Zealand and member of the judging panel, Jessica Meech, said.

“We’ve got a lot of thinking to do ahead of the awards evening to decide on the nine category winners and select the overall excellence winner.”

The award categories are: Leadership, Equine Handling (Stud or Stable), Greyhound Excellence, Dedication to Breeding, Dedication to Racing, Administrative and Ancillary Services, Care and Welfare, Newcomer and National Racing Woman of the Year.

The finalists and winner for the tenth category, the Entain Excellence Award, will be announced at the awards evening.

Category winners will receive $10,000 with finalists in each category receiving $2,000.

The overall winner will receive an extra $5,000 on top of their $10,000 category win, and a $5,000 educational package.

IRT, Windsor Park Stud, Waikato Stud and Breckon Farms are also valued supporters of the awards and the awards function, which will be held in Auckland on Sunday, 28 July.

Industry Excellence Awards finalists:

Leadership
Cameron Ring
Sarah Clausen
Hunter Durrant

Equine Handling (Stud or Stable)
Michaela Sobieska
Faith Pollock
Nathan Williamson
Greyhound Excellence
Mikayla Clark
Katie Wyllie
Corey Steele

Dedication to Breeding
Ryan Figgins
Mallory Phillips
Jamie Bartlett

Dedication to Racing
Jazz Leigh
Emma Smith
Sarah O'Reilly

Administrative and Ancillary Services
Jack Collings
Jo Stevens
Scott Buchanan

Care and Welfare
Chanelle Dickie
Anna Baigent
Erika Matterson

Newcomer
Matia Grace
Shannon MacDonald
Raquel Wilkes

National Racing Woman of the Year
Sam Mynott
Caitlin O’Sullivan
Portia Matthews
Emma Smith
Elizabeth Whelan
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Freda said:

I've met Portia, heard of Sam Mynott, Nathan Williamson and Sarah OReilly are trotting drivers, Hunter Durrant manages Te Akau's Riccarton barn and who t f are the others?

Well I appreciate it's across all 3 codes, so the fact that not too many names ring a bell for me is not surprising.

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I've met Portia, heard of Sam Mynott, Nathan Williamson and Sarah OReilly are trotting drivers, Hunter Durrant manages Te Akau's Riccarton barn and who t f are the others?

I have heard of the same ones, but I suppose it is for emerging stars so most of them we will never have heard of.

Back in the day there would have been a category for talented racing administrators and they would have been people everyone thought was doing well. I see there are three administrators listed, but I have never heard of them. They may well be talented but just keep a low profile.

2 hours ago, Freda said:

There's a few Greyhound folk in there.  Mikayla Clark and Liz Whelan.  Although the latter is involved with Trentham as well.

Michaela Sobieska works for Roger James and is the strapper for Orchestral.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

There's a few Greyhound folk in there.  Mikayla Clark and Liz Whelan.  Although the latter is involved with Trentham as well.

Michaela Sobieska works for Roger James and is the strapper for Orchestral.

I think Liz Whelan used to be on Trackside and I thought she was very good.

Jo Stevens will be a front runner for recognition.

Formerly a jockey in Australia she now a Mum and partner of trotting trainer / driver Dylan Ferguson.

In fact they now a training partnership and part of a young group introducing many young people to ownership thru Syndicates. Trains a useful trotter Kiss and Run. In addition she now training thoroughbreds in her own name too. For some time she has been taking gallopers for some big stables and introducing them to a new training environment with show ring type experience etc . 

Even better known as an official rehomer of horses when their career finished .

Then her highest profile gig has been as social media presenter for Harness in north at Cambridge and Alex Park. Interviewing drivers,trainers  for selections and post race comments and generally helping the smooth running of meetings.

Great too at cross-code activities involving jockeys and harness folk...gets things done and 100% commitment.

Gets my vote !

• Like 1

Anna Baigent takes injured /retired horses and rehabs/trains them to become therapy horses to help children and  in other needy situations.

Caitlin O'Sullivan is from NZ's royal racing family and does interviewing and social media stuff for Lov Racing.

We need to get out more to meet these great contributors to NZ Racing culture .Can't meet them from the padded cell and keyboard !

1 minute ago, TAB For Ever said:

Anna Baigent takes injured /retired horses and rehabs/trains them to become therapy horses to help children and  in other needy situations.

Caitlin O'Sullivan is from NZ's royal racing family and does interviewing and social media stuff for Lov Racing.

We need to get out more to meet these great contributors to NZ Racing culture .Can't meet them from the padded cell and keyboard !

I didn't think there was any emphasis on getting people on course these days TAB. Us keyboard punters are the new reality. 

I used to attend almost 100 race-meetings a year. Not many would do that these days.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Huey said:

Have some awards for the battles & toilers  , this list is mostly a joke.

I've met at least three of them and have found them to be young and passionate about the racing industry.

Very encouraging for the future.

So I don't see it as a joke at all.

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I've met at least three of them and have found them to be young and passionate about the racing industry.

Very encouraging for the future.

So I don't see it as a joke at all.

Give us the low down then?

On 10/07/2024 at 11:36 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Michaela Sobieska

2 hours ago, Huey said:

Give us the low down then?

Michaela works for Roger James and was Orchestral's strapper.

I met Michaela at New Plymouth and I was impressed with her professionalism and passion for the industry.

Actually I've met a dozen young people actively working in racing over the last year which gives me hope that things may come right.

Only if we old farts make sure the over paid suits do their job.

image.png

7 hours ago, Huey said:

Hunter Durrant 

Te Akau foreman in Canterbury.

Looked after Imperatriz in OZ.  Spent 6 months working for Annabel Neasham.  

7 hours ago, Huey said:

On 10/07/2024 at 11:36 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Elizabeth Whelan

Liz is the Chief Operating Officer for GRNZ and is a Wellington Racing Club Steward.

Ex-Trackside presenter.

Talked to Liz last December when at the WRC races.  Enthusiastic about racing and definitely not stale or male.

32 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

https://www.racingnews.co.nz/matthews-going-from-strength-to-strength/

How many 25 yr old woman jumps jockeys have led the jumps comp?

Rode her first ever winner for us 2 years ago just before moving to Mark's. A real dedicated star and no doubt Shelley Houston has been a great mentor. Definitely well deserves to be here if not win it.

296283580_10223511353634273_1524936414878387496_n.jpg.557a1c85e8dcb5a09d2b68226058d22d.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

@Huey many of these finalists are up at 4am in the morning working in the industry in all weathers.  Remember that when your prostate summons you to the sheltered bathroom during the night.

I've been well gone by 4am for the last 30 years CS, is my prostate what's keeping me from getting an award?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, curious said:

Rode her first ever winner for us 2 years ago just before moving to Mark's. A real dedicated star and no doubt Shelley Houston has been a great mentor. Definitely well deserves to be here if not win it.

296283580_10223511353634273_1524936414878387496_n.jpg.557a1c85e8dcb5a09d2b68226058d22d.jpg

She will get plenty of awards in the jumping game without having to be considered for this.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2024 at 4:23 PM, Doomed said:

Disappointing there isn't an award for social media excellence.

who would you nominate? :)

I actually thought of nominating a couple of young workers from down this way, not this season, but I plan to study who be eligible better for next year!