NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Pukekohe Abandoned 17 July 2024 due to Broken Truck

2 minutes ago, curious said:

If they think they are going to race on it this year, at a minimum they have to test it with some serious gallops under similar conditions to those where the problems occurred. Half  a dozen gallops at 3/4 pace aren't a hell of a lot of use imo.

The first set of trials is scheduled for 10 September!  No doubt they have some jump outs between now and then but the last time they did that didn't find any problems. 

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Against Oamaru with its feature level stakes....and now creating a rider availability issue.

Freda! You know a $17,000 race at Puke is more important than a $40,000 raca at Oamaru. Some of those at NZTR would struggle to point out Oamaru on a map.

Why could the meeting not be held this Friday which has no NZ gallop scheduled?

I imagine Oamaru will be compensated for any reduction in income. I don't actually know if they get any commission on turnover these days.

I wonder if there was any consideration given to transferring the meeting to Cambridge. I presume they have some gates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doomed said:

I thought NZTR was going to fund a few sets of new gates after one of the Trentham fiascos?

Yes but not for Pukekohe.

Further to this in conjunction with the relevant Clubs, NZTR will immediately look at purchasing a permanent set of starting gates at three strategic venues that do not have adequate permanent gates, being Te Rapa Racecourse, RACE Awapuni and RACE Trentham.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doomed said:

Freda! You know a $17,000 race at Puke is more important than a $40,000 raca at Oamaru. Some of those at NZTR would struggle to point out Oamaru on a map.

Why could the meeting not be held this Friday which has no NZ gallop scheduled?

I imagine Oamaru will be compensated for any reduction in income. I don't actually know if they get any commission on turnover these days.

I wonder if there was any consideration given to transferring the meeting to Cambridge. I presume they have some gates.

Addington, Oamaru, Pukekohe and the dogs racing somewhere, 4 meetings on a Sunday, a taste of things to come, probably all on trackside 1 as well, so it will probably be congested, I imagine there will be some long spaces between races sometimes, strange times.

Just as it was last month looks like Oamaru have the easterly with rain again producing a heavy track again.

You would hope the Northern riders would go to Oamaru, they ain't the ones who fucked things up.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Addington, Oamaru, Pukekohe and the dogs racing somewhere, 4 meetings on a Sunday, a taste of things to come, probably all on trackside 1 as well, so it will probably be congested, I imagine there will be some long spaces between races sometimes, strange times.

Just as it was last month looks like Oamaru have the easterly with rain again producing a heavy track again.

You would hope the Northern riders would go to Oamaru, they ain't the ones who fucked things up.

Any riders flying from North to South had better allow a couple of days to get there as this week many Airports been closed for some time with Fog being a serious issue. And most unusual to see the fog hanging around till 2pm and later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Any riders flying from North to South had better allow a couple of days to get there as this week many Airports been closed for some time with Fog being a serious issue. And most unusual to see the fog hanging around till 2pm and later.

I just can't get my head around the number of jockeys that fly around the country to ride in $17,000 races. Some southern meetings have 70-80% of the horses in some races ridden by northern jockeys. It does show the very poor state of the industry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doomed said:

I just can't get my head around the number of jockeys that fly around the country to ride in $17,000 races. Some southern meetings have 70-80% of the horses in some races ridden by northern jockeys. It does show the very poor state of the industry.

There are different motivations in play......most seasons there are a few chasing the Premiership and others have personal goals. eg LAllpress is chasing her 2000 wins milestone.

Others making hay while the sun shines as careers sometimes can be short....and winning races enhances reputations which leads to more rides in the 'bigger' races.

As per my concern about the fog around this week a friend was leaving Nelson for Gold Coast and it took them 3 days to get to Auckland. Nelson usually stores the planes overnight cos of Maintenance work but even the evening flights weren't flying in cos the schedules so messed up.

• Like 1

Notice from Northern Race Day Services.

Northern Raceday Services S.ociety Ltd Statement on Raceday Abandonment at Pukekuhe Park 

Northern Raceday Services Society Ltd (NRS) wishes to address the recent raceday abandonment that occurred at Pukekohe Park on Wednesday July 17. 

Established in 1977 as an essentially voluntary organisation supported by regional clubs, NRS. is dedicated to providing northern race clubs with barrier attendants and, where necessary,-starting gates for raceday, trials, and jumpouts. Our fleet, including the towing truck, purpose-built trailer, and minibus, undergoes regular servicing. Additionally, our custom-built Steriline starting gates are maintained by qualified engineers and receive annual servicing from a Steriline representative to ensure their reliability.

The disruption on Wednesday was due to an unforeseen issue with a fuel pressure valve on our towing truck en-route to Pukekohe Park. Despite our rigorous maintenance schedule, this fault could not have been anticipated. In our 47 years of operation, covering hundreds of race meetings and trials, this is the first time a breakdown has prevented us from fulfilling our duties.

Under the current structure, where NRS is tasked with providing barrier staff and, where required, barriers for northern region race meetings, NRS has no option but to accept full responsibility for the abandonment. We are acutely aware of the impact this has had on all stakeholders and an investigation is underway to clearly identify the cause and to implement measures to prevent such incidents in the future. Our goal is to ensure that this does not happen again and to maintain the high standards of service expected from us. 

We apologise for the disruption caused and are taking all necessary steps to avoid recurrence. NRS remains dedicated to supporting the racing community and ensuring the smooth operation of race meetings for the benefit of all involved.

19 July - Northern Raceday Services Statement re Pukekohe Park - Wed, 17 July.pdf

Mmm that letter says there is a Company called Northern Raceday Services Society Ltd.  Yet the company isn't registered at the companies office.  The email address domain is for an accounting firm in Thames - Howlett Dalzell Accountancy Services Ltd.  

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Mmm that letter says there is a Company called Northern Raceday Services Society Ltd.  Yet the company isn't registered at the companies office.  The email address domain is for an accounting firm in Thames - Howlett Dalzell Accountancy Services Ltd.  

https://www.howlettdalzell.co.nz/history

Geoff Dalzell involved with Thames racing/harness for a long time and the raceday services with Roger Blake

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

https://www.howlettdalzell.co.nz/history

Geoff Dalzell involved with Thames racing/harness for a long time and the raceday services with Roger Blake

Northern Raceday Services kicked off in 1977 with a loan from NZTR.  

There doesn't seem to be any record of the shareholding or company details then or now.

The letter posted about the breakdown states they started as a voluntary organisation.  

I suspect their future may be uncertain.  

Interesting how we never hear anything from MIA Sharrock.

Is this the same outfit overseeing the photo finish operators. The operators never owned the equipment but earned extra income hiring the equipment to sports events. All without the knowledge of the "consortium". I would say these middle "companies" are just a vehicle for hiring the "right" contractors.

According to the Pukekohe commentator Northern Raceday Services Society Ltd and NZTR are working on contingencies to makes sure the broken truck scenario doesn't happen again.  Note:  NZTR lent NRSS Ltd money in 1977 to be created.  47 years ago.

11 minutes ago, curious said:

Are they a subsidiary of NZTR or what? They don't seem to be registered with the company's nor incorporated societies?

That's what I posted above.  

On 19/07/2024 at 2:24 PM, Chief Stipe said:

3 minutes ago, curious said:

You mean that it is a subsidiary of NZTR?

NO that it was apparently a company setup in 1977 using volunteers with funding lent to them by NZTR.  Also that there is no record of the company now on the registry nor on the Incorporated Societies Registry.  I imagine at some time over the years they would have got funding via the pokie license.

39 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

NO that it was apparently a company setup in 1977 using volunteers with funding lent to them by NZTR.  Also that there is no record of the company now on the registry nor on the Incorporated Societies Registry.  I imagine at some time over the years they would have got funding via the pokie license.

Wouldn't they have to be a registered co to get that?

8 minutes ago, curious said:

Wouldn't they have to be a registered co to get that?

I thought at one stage any "worthy cause" could apply!  All seems a bit odd.  Even the name Society Ltd.  Normally it is one or the other isn't it?

57 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I thought at one stage any "worthy cause" could apply!  All seems a bit odd.  Even the name Society Ltd.  Normally it is one or the other isn't it?

It's all a bit of a mystery. Ltd. would seem to imply a limited liability company which you'd expect would be registered with the companies' office. A mysterious entity.

2 hours ago, curious said:

It's all a bit of a mystery. Ltd. would seem to imply a limited liability company which you'd expect would be registered with the companies' office. A mysterious entity.

In the 2010 report there is another (or the same) non-current loan of $30k for 2009.

2008 Loan of $64k - commercial interest rates.

2013 and 2014 $0

2015 Loan $83k

2016 Loan $162k

2017 Loan $136k

2018 Loan $97k

2019 $0

2020 $33K - name change to Northern Race Day Services Incorporated.  Same year loan to Central Districts Starting Gates Incorporated of $37k.