NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Two more meeting's Abandoned in July 2024. Rotorua and New Plymouth.

8 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Explain your weather theories to the Wairoa and Gisborne people as well as the many other folk in areas which constantly hit by extreme weather .

What's that got to do with Rotorua, Auckland or Hawkes Bay?

Several Areas have received there annual rainfall in less than a week !

Which areas?  Certainly not Rotorua or Auckland.  Neither have had 1200mm of rain in a week.

And your explanation why around the world there are more AWT than turf...USA,Japan <Korea ,South Africa, Chile ,Equador Argentina ,Mexico , parts of Europe ,Scandinavia

More injuries as well but since when has "because everyone else does it"  been a good a good reason for doing anything?  You also lump dirt tracks in with yhe category AWT.  Actually you switch AWT and Synthetic when it suits your argument.

As the article that was posted stated Austalia doesn't want anymore Synthetic Tracks. If you haven't noticed that is the market more similar to ours than any that you have mentioned.  The market where our punters punt.  

You are trying to defend the indefensible and are digging a bigger hole.

9 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

Your latest fav Ruakaka not always available either as another weather bomb hit the area yesterday , more slips on the Bryderwyns and road closures during the day...that would have been fun for the Waikato horses travelling north.

Ruakaka raced while the Brynderwins were closed.  There was and still is a very good alternative route through Mangapai that only adds 30 mins to the trip.

Assuming of course they get through the Auckland Motorway system which they couldn't do for Sistema Stakes Day 2024.  Couldn't get past Pukekohe!!

You are a bit like Messara you should get out and have a look at the places you bag and intend to close.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

My Foxton area friend tells me Foxton has had a flooding problem for years  and not so long ago it was up to the roof of houses in some areas. Flood protection has been provided out of the Provincial growth Fund .

Its positioned where there is a very high watertable so the threat is constantly there.

To double check these  facts anyone can google Foxton Floods and several articles confirm the area is flood prone and a number of Trials since Covid have been postponed cos of water.

So it not BS.

Then there is the mystery fire threat .

But you miss the point completely as did Messara.

If you can't race at Foxton on any day you might still be able to race at Hawera, Waipukurau, Woodville, Awapuni or Otaki etc.  That is there are options.

If Omoto was under water you could race at Westland.  I think one year they even did that.

The strategy seems to be to put all our eggs into one basket e.g. Ellerslie.  At the moment Ellerslie is looking more like an Eagle Farm without a Doomben.

NZ has always had localised weather events.  It's the nature of our location and maritime climate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, curious said:

Can't you read? It was your remark "Foxton...trials centre also , apparently refused to upgrade facilities so self inflicted status." that I said was BS.

I tried a google but I only see reports of flooding at Foxton Beach and in the area of the Moutoa flood gate catchment. Nothing near the racecourse, except in relation to blocked storm drains. I agree that drainage of the course itself is affected by the water table at times.

Which track hasn't?  Pouring through old Racing Board/NZTR annual reports (perhaps Messara and @TAB For Ever should do that) you can see numerous loans or free grants to fix drainage on the courses we are now betting our future on. 

Messara's report is looking more like a bag of hunches.

• Bad Post 1

15 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

What's that got to do with Rotorua, Auckland or Hawkes Bay?

Which areas?  Certainly not Rotorua or Auckland.  Neither have had 1200mm of rain in a week.

More injuries as well but since when has "because everyone else does it"  been a good a good reason for doing anything?  You also lump dirt tracks in with yhe category AWT.  Actually you switch AWT and Synthetic when it suits your argument.

As the article that was posted stated Austalia doesn't want anymore Synthetic Tracks. If you haven't noticed that is the market more similar to ours than any that you have mentioned.  The market where our punters punt.  

You are trying to defend the indefensible and are digging a bigger hole.

Nah no hole digging....its a public site so just pointing out there appears to be more AWT than turf.

And weather interests me little , but it on record that 21 areas of NZ experienced their wettest ever [ on record] Januuary- June 2023.

That followed on 2022 Winter which was NZ's wettest ever.

Those are facts ! Maybe that suggests weather getting wetter...Wairoa certainly think so ,in 2024.

As is the fact that your beloved Westland which you highlight so often is near NZ's top in rainfall.

Ruakaka raced while the Brynderwins were closed.  There was and still is a very good alternative route through Mangapai that only adds 30 mins to the trip.

Assuming of course they get through the Auckland Motorway system which they couldn't do for Sistema Stakes Day 2024.  Couldn't get past Pukekohe!!

You are a bit like Messara you should get out and have a look at the places you bag and intend to close.

Agree re Auckland  Motorway slower than normal at times during big events like Ellerslie 's Sistema stakes day .Everybody wants to go there ,its that great entertainment. One learns to be patient and add travel time.Same Karaka Day.

And when Pink and Warriors were on same night the Trots were put back an hour cos many horses stuck on motorway ! Ever been to Group days at York or even Melbourne in a car ? Of course you have ,you've been everywhere man !

As for Northern detour I've done that one a couple of times this year in car...Kaiwaka to Waipu . 

Difference last Saturday would have been the Horse Float detour annoyingly much longer and the slips actually caused several delays too .And the forecast was talking 'weather bombs' so your plan to switch to Ruakaka at short notice pure BS.

Messara report was 6 years ago so don't live in the past , its annoying. Most don't want to hear about Lord Module , Grey Way and Copperbelt 

If you can't race at Foxton on any day you might still be able to race at Hawera, Waipukurau, Woodville, Awapuni or Otaki etc.  That is there are options.

If Omoto was under water you could race at Westland.  I think one year they even did that.

The strategy seems to be to put all our eggs into one basket e.g. Ellerslie.  At the moment Ellerslie is looking more like an Eagle Farm without a Doomben.

NZ has always had localised weather events.  It's the nature of our location and maritime climate. 

Nah ,everybody in NZ knew there were way too many tracks in NZ and had been talking about it since 1970's. 

His cut from 48 to 28 or whatever was never going to be perfect and possibly wasn't but NOT always easy to switch from a once a year track to another once a year track , especially when neighbour may not be on speaking terms. 

Sad but true....and the Clubs taking longer than expected to organise a quick transfer....I read recently where you surprised at the importance and difficulty in moving the 4 x TAB Vans....get with the program.....now that would have been a bit interesting..

Many tiring of your need to start threads and lure comments from mugs like me so you can prove your superior knowledge and pump out your own theories.......I think you actually don't like horses or horse racing , you like whinging and moaning and winning debates and use the NZ Horse racing theme as a front....and stuck in the past too !🙂

Which track hasn't?  Pouring through old Racing Board/NZTR annual reports (perhaps Messara and @TAB For Ever should do that) you can see numerous loans or free grants to fix drainage on the courses we are now betting our future on. 

Messara's report is looking more like a bag of hunches.

Old NZTR reports poured thru....

Messara report ......the 2018 classic !

Loans in 1977 ,and 2007  

You stuck in the past Chief !

• Haha 1

Not getting into this willy-waving contest, but....Synthetic tracks are not the same as 'dirt' tracks, and American dirt is not the same as Australian 'red dirt' surfaces as prevalent on country/bush tracks,  or sand, and even Strathayr has a 'synthetic' component...just saying.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TAB For Ever said:

And weather interests me little , but it on record that 21 areas of NZ experienced their wettest ever [ on record] Januuary- June 2023.

Interests you little but you are happy to use it as an excuse for mismanagement.

How many race meetings were abandoned January-June 2023?

I can play with statistics too.  

From the records - June 2024:

Nearly 42% of New Zealand’s regularly reporting stations observed below normal (50-79% of normal) or well below normal (<50% of normal) June rainfall.

Those are facts ! Maybe that suggests weather getting wetter...Wairoa certainly think so ,in 2024.

Why?  They don't have a racecourse anymore (well they do but it isn't one of the select few).  They were shifted to Hastings but woops...

As is the fact that your beloved Westland which you highlight so often is near NZ's top in rainfall.

Yep and how many race meetings were abandoned at Hokitika over the years?  By the way about 20km inland from Hokitika the NZ records for rainfall are held which make the East Coast look tame.  850mm in 24 hours.  566mm in 12 hours.  3000mm in a month.  That water all flowed down the Hokitika river.

• Bad Post 1

Agree re Auckland  Motorway slower than normal at times during big events like Ellerslie 's Sistema stakes day .Everybody wants to go there ,its that great entertainment. One learns to be patient and add travel time.Same Karaka Day.

I've changed my mind about you being a cost accountant.  Are you in marketing?  There was a crash on the Southern Motorway adding 3 extra hours to the float trip from Matamata.  The races at Ellerslie weren't abandoned they were put back.  I thought you were there?

As for Northern detour I've done that one a couple of times this year in car...Kaiwaka to Waipu . 

There were two detours - one for cars and small trucks and the other detour through Maungaturoto.  Only added about 40mins to the drive.

Difference last Saturday would have been the Horse Float detour annoyingly much longer and the slips actually caused several delays too .And the forecast was talking 'weather bombs' so your plan to switch to Ruakaka at short notice pure BS.

No it is pure bullshit.  The Maungaturoto detour starts at the bottom of the Brynderwins.  It wouldn't have been that much longer and the races would have gone ahead ON TIME!

Messara report was 6 years ago so don't live in the past , its annoying. Most don't want to hear about Lord Module , Grey Way and Copperbelt

Saw them all.  Lord Module would never have been allowed to race today due to animal welfare reasons.  Grey Way and Copperbelt raced on farmer managed tracks on racedays that would have been abandoned today.

Nah ,everybody in NZ knew there were way too many tracks in NZ and had been talking about it since 1970's. 

Really - Everybody?  There is that marketing spin again.  Well reducing them hasn't made things better has it.  Perhaps we should have made more and engaged more communities, trainers and support staff.

His cut from 48 to 28 or whatever was never going to be perfect and possibly wasn't but NOT always easy to switch from a once a year track to another once a year track , especially when neighbour may not be on speaking terms.

Was never going to be perfect because the descision was made on the wrong assumptions and incorrect evidence.  Why was Kumara chosen overy Westland?  The latter had an engaged community, cash in the bank and ran successful racedays.

Sad but true....and the Clubs taking longer than expected to organise a quick transfer....I read recently where you surprised at the importance and difficulty in moving the 4 x TAB Vans....get with the program.....now that would have been a bit interesting..

No I asked why is it so difficult.  I also asked surely there is better technology available that doesn't involve the need for a Broadcast Van.  How do you televise from some of those remote places in Australia where the distances between tracks are enormous.

I suspect the issues in NZ are the product of old school thinking, a mates network and a poorly managed outsource contract over decades.

Many tiring of your need to start threads and lure comments from mugs like me so you can prove your superior knowledge and pump out your own theories.......I think you actually don't like horses or horse racing , you like whinging and moaning and winning debates and use the NZ Horse racing theme as a front....and stuck in the past too !🙂

You are so wrong regarding my interest in horses and racing.  However that isn't the point.  What motivates me is that I keep seeing gross mismangement of this industry and fat cats in suits getting fatter.  The decline isn't anything to do with your theories on DNA and too many racecourse it is all to do with decades of mismanagement.

Old NZTR reports poured thru....

Messara report ......the 2018 classic !

Loans in 1977 ,and 2007  

You stuck in the past Chief !

Nope - it is well worth doing and I suggest you give it a go because what you will quickly see (assuming you take your murphy blinds off) is that we are repeating the same mistakes we have been making for 60 years.  Nothing has changed.

I think it was Churchill that said "the only thing we learn from history is we don't learn from history".

Do you think it might be the time to do the opposite of what we are doing?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Freda said:

Not getting into this willy-waving contest, but....Synthetic tracks are not the same as 'dirt' tracks, and American dirt is not the same as Australian 'red dirt' surfaces as prevalent on country/bush tracks,  or sand, and even Strathayr has a 'synthetic' component...just saying.

With all due respect @freda in my opinion this is a serious topic and the sooner we all started thrashing it out and/or taking action the sooner we may see some change.  In my opinion all I'm seeing is more of the same.  Hopefully if I can convince @TAB For Ever to think differently then maybe that is a small step in the right direction.

On 20/07/2024 at 11:51 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Is there a pattern? @Reefton would say there was.

Brady Jones was the Stipe February 3rd at Taranaki.

Taranaki Racing Club upset at abandonment of major meeting

Glenn McLean

Glenn McLean

July 23, 2024, 05:00am

0000000001C0031354D

Former Opunake Cup winner Justaskme was denied a chance of racing on his home track on Saturday. (File photo)
LISA BURD / Stuff

Taranaki Racing officials are bemoaning a lack of communication that led to what they believe was the premature abandonment of its most popular winter meeting of the year.

The meeting, which was to feature the $100,000 listed Opunake Cup, was abandoned after stewards inspected the New Plymouth Raceway track early on Saturday morning and believed it was too water logged for the meeting to go ahead.

The stewards’ decision was at odds with Taranaki Racing chief executive Anna Duncan and the club’s board who felt the call was made too early given the significance of the meeting.

“If you look at last year, this was the biggest winter race meeting in the country, so there will be significant losses,” she said.

“It’s extremely disappointing and frustrating and we will be following through with this because communication is key and we don’t feel there was enough of it.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
0000000001C001E6C29

Senior jockey Lisa Allpress rode the track on Saturday morning and thought it was suitable. (File photo)
Andy Jackson/Stuff

Duncan said senior jockey Lisa Allpress had galloped a horse on the track before the stewards’ inspection and found there were no issues.

“She felt it was a good winter track. The stewards then walked the track and made their decision with limited consultation.”

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing’s chief operating officer Darin Balcombe told Love Racing the decision to abandon the meeting was also made over concerns that the track was too deep to race on.

“The prudent call was to call the meeting off at that stage for horse and rider welfare, and the high possibility of visibility issues through the day,” he said.

“There is no greater drain on the industry than sending horses to the races and then everyone having to pack up and go home without a race. It costs a lot of money for the connections and for the industry, as we pay compensation to all of those connections.

“The good thing was that the decisions were made very early prior to anyone leaving home that hadn’t gone the night before, which was the best situation for us.”

Balcombe’s view was not shared by Duncan who also pointed to the fact the weather improved dramatically from late morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
18B6C0ED852645398775E5094EA538B8

Taranaki Racing chief executive Anna Duncan believed the meeting should have gone ahead. (File photo)
VANESSA LAURIE / Stuff

“In my opinion, I think we should have raced and I have the support of the [Taranaki Racing] board with that,” Duncan said.

“There is a cost involved if we have to call the meeting off after one or two races but we just felt it’s winter racing and you don’t get any slipping because the ground is heavy.”

She said the club was yet to add up just how much the abandonment had cost it and the situation was made worse because it could not hold the rescheduled meeting, at Hāwera on Tuesday, because of a prior booking at its venue.

Duncan also felt for a number of race day sponsors, corporate table holders and supporters who could not make it to Hāwera because it was a weekday.

The abandonment also put paid to the club’s annual punters’ competition which had drawn record numbers.

“It would have been a huge day for our locals and the coastal Taranaki community,” Duncan said.

- Taranaki Daily News

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

With all due respect @freda in my opinion this is a serious topic and the sooner we all started thrashing it out and/or taking action the sooner we may see some change.  In my opinion all I'm seeing is more of the same.  Hopefully if I can convince @TAB For Ever to think differently then maybe that is a small step in the right direction.

Did I imply it wasn't serious?

6 hours ago, curious said:

Taranaki Racing Club upset at abandonment of major meeting

Glenn McLean

Glenn McLean

July 23, 2024, 05:00am

0000000001C0031354D

Former Opunake Cup winner Justaskme was denied a chance of racing on his home track on Saturday. (File photo)
LISA BURD / Stuff

Taranaki Racing officials are bemoaning a lack of communication that led to what they believe was the premature abandonment of its most popular winter meeting of the year.

The meeting, which was to feature the $100,000 listed Opunake Cup, was abandoned after stewards inspected the New Plymouth Raceway track early on Saturday morning and believed it was too water logged for the meeting to go ahead.

The stewards’ decision was at odds with Taranaki Racing chief executive Anna Duncan and the club’s board who felt the call was made too early given the significance of the meeting.

“If you look at last year, this was the biggest winter race meeting in the country, so there will be significant losses,” she said.

“It’s extremely disappointing and frustrating and we will be following through with this because communication is key and we don’t feel there was enough of it.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
0000000001C001E6C29

Senior jockey Lisa Allpress rode the track on Saturday morning and thought it was suitable. (File photo)
Andy Jackson/Stuff

Duncan said senior jockey Lisa Allpress had galloped a horse on the track before the stewards’ inspection and found there were no issues.

“She felt it was a good winter track. The stewards then walked the track and made their decision with limited consultation.”

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing’s chief operating officer Darin Balcombe told Love Racing the decision to abandon the meeting was also made over concerns that the track was too deep to race on.

“The prudent call was to call the meeting off at that stage for horse and rider welfare, and the high possibility of visibility issues through the day,” he said.

“There is no greater drain on the industry than sending horses to the races and then everyone having to pack up and go home without a race. It costs a lot of money for the connections and for the industry, as we pay compensation to all of those connections.

“The good thing was that the decisions were made very early prior to anyone leaving home that hadn’t gone the night before, which was the best situation for us.”

Balcombe’s view was not shared by Duncan who also pointed to the fact the weather improved dramatically from late morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
18B6C0ED852645398775E5094EA538B8

Taranaki Racing chief executive Anna Duncan believed the meeting should have gone ahead. (File photo)
VANESSA LAURIE / Stuff

“In my opinion, I think we should have raced and I have the support of the [Taranaki Racing] board with that,” Duncan said.

“There is a cost involved if we have to call the meeting off after one or two races but we just felt it’s winter racing and you don’t get any slipping because the ground is heavy.”

She said the club was yet to add up just how much the abandonment had cost it and the situation was made worse because it could not hold the rescheduled meeting, at Hāwera on Tuesday, because of a prior booking at its venue.

Duncan also felt for a number of race day sponsors, corporate table holders and supporters who could not make it to Hāwera because it was a weekday.

The abandonment also put paid to the club’s annual punters’ competition which had drawn record numbers.

“It would have been a huge day for our locals and the coastal Taranaki community,” Duncan said.

- Taranaki Daily News

Exactly as I thought.  The meeting in February had more rain and they went ahead.

Anna Duncan should talk to @Reefton

6 hours ago, curious said:

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing’s chief operating officer Darin Balcombe told Love Racing the decision to abandon the meeting was also made over concerns that the track was too deep to race on

How can a track be "too deep"?  How do you quantify that?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

How can a track be "too deep"?  How do you quantify that?

I never heard of that before as a reason to abandon a meeting. It was clearly not unsafe or slippery like meetings they commenced and then abandoned or in at least one case continued recently including Ellerslie.

Whether they got more rain on the day or not (which they didn't), it was never going to become unsafe. At this stage, there seems to be no good reason in relation to the track condition to abandon the meeting at considerable cost to participants.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, curious said:

I never heard of that before as a reason to abandon a meeting. It was clearly not unsafe or slippery like meetings they commenced and then abandoned or in at least one case continued recently including Ellerslie.

Whether they got more rain on the day or not (which they didn't), it was never going to become unsafe. At this stage, there seems to be no good reason in relation to the track condition to abandon the meeting at considerable cost to participants.

Time for the peasants to revolt.

Just talked to some Ruakaka Club people and they are pissed about losing two dates south.

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Time for the peasants to revolt.

Just talked to some Ruakaka Club people and they are pissed about losing two dates south.

What say did they have in the matter?

I see we have another NZTR roadshow with Balcombe and Sharrock coming up. It will be interesting to see what concerns are raised there by the peasants.

25 minutes ago, curious said:

Apparently NO SAY.  Came from NZTR.  Which is a real piss off as the local enthusiasts work really well at getting people to the races.  One of the dates lost was the annual pub team competition.  In the middle of winter FFS.

19 teams this year.

Go figure!!!

55 minutes ago, curious said:

I see we have another NZTR roadshow with Balcombe and Sharrock coming up. It will be interesting to see what concerns are raised there by the peasants.

I have no idea why that made me think of Morecambe and Wise.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

On 7/22/2024 at 8:49 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Messara's excellent piece of work was an overall strategic plan and given as a suggestion ,and it was largely accepted by those at the coalface in NZ so obviously largely endorsed.

The local guys running NZ no doubt took into consideration the collaboration of neighbouring clubs and their interest in working in .One recent year the Coast Clubs were poorly represented in discussions ,some had obviously spat the dummy.

Messara report ...from a previous era !