NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Betcha

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

They are openly targeting younger folk possibly due to their naivety and their disposable income although The Brodster has buckets of that and he is quite senior.

Quite Senior?

Not so much, just about to come onto my prime time in life without doubt!

Anything that gives the punter more opportunity to wager is good for racing!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Winston should give all gold card holders a 50 dollar TAB top up every week.

Too much administration, the TAB would be better off bringing back the old website rather than the very poor Ozzie one.

There are things that they have introduced which to my mind is not a positive move!

I would donate the $50 back to them for them to play fair 

7 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Given the Harm you have inflicted on the TAB I don't see that happening during Gambling Harm Awareness Week.

They have harmed my gambling more, I would’ve thought?

To be fair they have appeared to have loosened up a bit, which is good for racing!

Edited by Brodie

On 3/09/2024 at 4:31 PM, Rangatira said:

Given the Harm you have inflicted on the TAB I don't see that happening during Gambling Harm Awareness Week.

I rung the helpline by mistake the other day.

I had googled the betcha 0800 number, but obviously that number must be on the betcha website somewhere as it came up.

You know,i had the phone on speaker and after listening to it for about 20 minutes of i'm sorry for the delay,we are busy...and having heard every second song in maori,it dawned on me this may not be betcha. 

It did strike me,that going by the music,there seemed a bit of racial profiling of those that might ring them.

Talking things maori.

Is it just me,or is it every time i've turned on the tv for the last 6 days,the maori kings funeral is on. This afternoon it went for hours,my wife complaining about missing judge judy,then i turn on the news just before and there it is again. I turned the tv off went and made some tea and came back 5 minutes later and changed the channel and there it was again,so changed to the other news channel and blow me down,it was on there as well.

i'm sure he was a highly respected man,but the media coverage just seems out of proportion given most would not have heard of the man until recently.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, the galah said:

I rung the helpline by mistake the other day.

I had googled the betcha 0800 number, but obviously that number must be on the betcha website somewhere as it came up.

You know,i had the phone on speaker and after listening to it for about 20 minutes of i'm sorry for the delay,we are busy...and having heard every second song in maori,it dawned on me this may not be betcha. 

It did strike me,that going by the music,there seemed a bit of racial profiling of those that might ring them.

Talking things maori.

Is it just me,or is it every time i've turned on the tv for the last 6 days,the maori kings funeral is on. This afternoon it went for hours,my wife complaining about missing judge judy,then i turn on the news just before and there it is again. I turned the tv off went and made some tea and came back 5 minutes later and changed the channel and there it was again,so changed to the other news channel and blow me down,it was on there as well.

i'm sure he was a highly respected man,but the media coverage just seems out of proportion given most would not have heard of the man until recently.

That was overkill that moari stuff, that weather girl on TV1 is too, and so is the haka at the rugby, a bunch of Pacific Islanders doing a moari haka, what next ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

That was overkill that moari stuff, that weather girl on TV1 is too, and so is the haka at the rugby, a bunch of Pacific Islanders doing a moari haka, what next ?

Wouldn’t mind actually knowing why exactly is there a Maori King or  Queen?

What is their role, and do Maori not operate under the NZ monarchy of the King or Queen from Britain?

Genuine question as I am not sure why Maori need a king or queen in NZ?

Do other nationalities that live in NZ also have a monarchy other than the British one?

Does seem a bit weird as Maori I believed was under British rule?

12 hours ago, mikeynz said:

I agree with you about the weather on tv. 

I hardly watch the news at all now for that very reason, nor the weather as for some reason it irritates me when i hear a white person speaking in maori.I always change the channel when they talk in maori.

For a start i have no idea what they are saying and secondly i find the whole maori language promotion by the media and corporates, is mostly patronising and fake.

Its similar to the woke mentality that the media and corporates force on people and its no conincidence that both agendas are promoted by the same groups.

Here we have these white people making out that maori language and maori culture is so important to them,that being seen supporting it gives them some sort of moral superiority over others who aren't on board with it.You can just see it in them.

In reality they go about their every day lives giving little thought to those who struggle just to make ends meet ,often living week to week in their every day lives.Maori are far higher represented in that area,but that area is not the focus. The maori language is..

Now not everyone promoting the maori thing is like that,some genuinely do care,but they are in the minority and media and corporates and most who are,they are just fake in my opinion.

To me so much of promoting  the maori language and culture is tokenism.

These corporates who push the maori language,they will take advantage of maori just as much as the next person. 

i don't blame them for making a $,but don't patronise me as to your motives.

I watch the maori tv channel quite a bit. They do have some good programmes on there. Obviously i don't watch anything that doesn't have captions on if they are talking in maori,but if you really want to know what matters to maori,who better to tell you. And yes i know their language is of great importance to them. Thats real for them unlike what i mostly see on mainstream tv.

The labour party indoctrinated this into our education system. Ask yourself this. Is nz more united because of the previous labour parties policies? Obviously not. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brodie said:

Wouldn’t mind actually knowing why exactly is there a Maori King or  Queen?

What is their role, and do Maori not operate under the NZ monarchy of the King or Queen from Britain?

Genuine question as I am not sure why Maori need a king or queen in NZ?

Do other nationalities that live in NZ also have a monarchy other than the British one?

Does seem a bit weird as Maori I believed was under British rule?

I was watching a programme on him one time and i think maori royalty goes back to the days when nz was colinized and the maori tribes felt they would be  best served and be more united in achieving the best outcomes for them by having a maori king represent and negotiate for them.So his family was born into it from there.

I think thats how it worked.

i guess his role was along those lines but how relevant he was,well just as you may ask about english royalty today,i suppose everyone has differing opinions.

i was watching a programme on the king that died last night on maori tv. It was all in english.He apparently was a hard worker,used to drive trucks,down to earth,caring guy with the sense of humour unique to maori who someone said loved being on the ride on doing the lawns at the local marae.That actually seemed to be who he really was,not just words.

But the coverage to me on mainstream tv was so over the top. He may have been a great guy but he is no more important to anyone than ones own loved ones. And if one of your loved ones died,no one outside your family and friends will hardly give it a second thought past the day. 

21 hours ago, the galah said:

and having heard every second song in maori

Pokarekare ana great especially the Honky version

Pokarekare ana,  I had a squashed banana,  I threw it at the teacher,  She said, “Come here”,  I said, “no fear” ......................

Edited by Rangatira
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Pokarekare ana great especially the Honky version

Pokarekare ana,  I had a squashed banana,  I threw it at the teacher,  She said, “Come here”,  I said, “no fear” ......................

chains,dlt and che fu one of my favorites. My wifes ring tone was poi e. Maybe Magic could play some of our favorites. Brandy(bunny walters( gets a bit of air play and john rowles was always my aunties favorite. 

You know,i remember going to the addington races a few years back and walking into one of those lounges the old stand had, and there was eddie low singing.He did a good version of your favorite pokarekare ana. 

52 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Seems like the only time we hear about these Maori Kings and Maori Queens are when they pass?

Thats the thing isn't it.

Then theres Waitangi day when the mainstream media love talking about how the current government policies are dividing nz.

then theres the  protest marches.The media again showed interest in what he had to say on those.

Theres always a common theme that runs through when the mainstream medias interested. 

For some reason the media think showing what he has to say in stories which deliberately are shown through the lens of the left leaning,patronising,self professing morally superior media,somehow is going to unite and gain respect from those they are preaching to.

I'm sure the maori king did great work in a lot of areas,but those stories have gone untold.

Edited by the galah