Bit Of A Yarn

A Proposal to HRNZ / RIU

Happy Sunrise

or whoever takes responsibility.

Yesterday I heard before the race Motu Great Sensation is in foal. Sometimes in the past mares have gone very well once they are. After Mama Knows Best ran too bad to be true in season at Ashburton a few weeks back and hearing that just before the race I would like to propose the following. 

30 minutes before the fixed odds come out for a meeting (so 5pm most days) an information sheet is put out regarding runners for the meeting. This would include horses in foal, horses in season, gelded horses, changes in training deemed important enough by the trainer, driving tactics to be employed if different from previous, updates from trainers of horses which were previously mentioned in stipes reports eg slow recovery rates.

I am sure there might be some other things to include and wouldn't be hard to implement.

If punters are being shared this kind of information just prior to the race then I think it should be formalised and done in a proper manner to benefit punters. After all, generating confidence in the betting seems a priority at the moment.

• Like 2

Happy I'm not sure if you've been around any mares but trust me like any female they can go from being ok to being in season in a very short space of time.

As for the mare served or in foal the stats are a bit like Thomaas's blinkers on a 3 yr old after Christmas formula - they just don't stack up from a punting perspective.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Happy I'm not sure if you've been around any mares but trust me like any female they can go from being ok to being in season in a very short space of time.

I am not a practitioner in harness racing so don't know the nitty gritty of things.

It may be an ignorant request on my part but I find receiving the information 3 minutes before they race annoying.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I am not a practitioner in harness racing so don't know the nitty gritty of things.

It may be an ignorant request on my part but I find receiving the information 3 minutes before they race annoying.

I'm not suggesting in anyway you are ignorant.  I just don't think knowing some of that information makes any difference to choosing the best horse to back.

I also agree that if a mare has returned a positive to being in foal, then there should be some onus on the trainer to advise the punters, early enough before they offload!

What is the point just befire the race?

In Oz they always advise change of driving tactics!

Here very often there are a change in tactics but nothing is ever said.

I don’t believe that HRNZ will enforce this, as it involves a bit of work, and it js also easier to leave as is and just ensure that drivers don’t use the whip more than 10 times!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

14 hours ago, Tonkatime! said:

Someone I know who is heavily restricted got $4000 on an option yesterday by being a bit smart about how the put the bet on. 

Tonkatime, What was the bet?

was it a 4K win bet on harness racing??????

Yes you can get plenty on sports betting!

Yes you can get money on Gallops no problem!

Yes they take win bets on harness racing well aware

Do they take plenty from winning punters who bet on harness???

No they don’t unless they have changed their rules!

Gopefully they have.

Edited by Brodie