NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Mick Guerin tells us what's was Wrong and now is Right with the Ellerslie Track!

Chief Stipe

5 minutes ago, curious said:

??????

snapshot.jpg.f8a55547a1c6d4caad408ec258aae0f4.jpg

Don't get me started.  The fertiliser looks good!  Seems verti-draining is now going to be a regular activity less than a week out from a meeting?

The track is like a hydroponic system or pure synthetic with grass grown on top of it.  It isn't what I thought a Strathayr was.  Does Moonee Valley look like this?

11 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes but would that bring back the sheer/surface tension problem?

Surely not if the grass is properly rooted. It seems the problem stemmed primarily from one of the 5 rye varieties chosen for the mix. It evidently tends to spread roots laterally just below the surface. Whether or not they can manage that with continuous mechanical intervention, or whether it will have to be sprayed and reseeded remains to be seen. Until it's tested under racing conditions in similar weather conditions to those when the problems occurred, I don't think we will know.

It seems to me that fully reseeding without that rye grass variety might have been a safer option.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

I believe that I read/heard that the grass mix choice was made in consultation with local experts, remembering that they chose to seed it themselves from scratch, not lay pre-grown turf as is more usual for Strathayr tracks, so I think they managed that themselves, rather than it being done by Strathayr.

Edited by curious

I'd just add that if it were a decently informed interviewer talking to Wilcox, they would have asked that very question when Wilcox mentioned it. It was the first thing that popped into my head. How did it happen that grass was used in the first place?

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, curious said:

I believe that I read/heard that the grass mix choice was made in consultation with local experts, remembering that they chose to seed it themselves from scratch, not lay pre-grown turf as is more usual for Strathayr tracks, so I think they managed that themselves, rather than it being done by Strathayr.

So they either:

1. didn't test the mix in local conditions before seeding the main track; and/or
  2. the didn't manage the early growth to get the right phenotype response for the conditions.

Surely it was evident fairly quickly from the sampling they took that the lea wasn't growing how it should?

I guess their only option now is to constantly verti-drain and see if it comes right.  

6 minutes ago, curious said:

A racing media interview that asks the hard logical questions?

as when "tickets are selling well"  ok, what number are you going to allow on course? capped at?

perhaps following up with  "an, any truth that a 'tight5' had been behind the increase in  tickets sales and plan a nice little earner scalping them! :)

sigh, as ever, I live in hope! for a track that works! and that we get the privilege of actually then getting Proper Actual Footage of the Horses  pre and post race! Gee, Imagine that!  Prelims shot from a proper angel! riders assisting, Actual Professioonal coverage for the Punter!  that sort of thing?