NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Sharp 'N' Smart (Flemington) and Molly Bloom (Randwick) performances

Chief Stipe

Well neither Sharp 'N' Smart nor Molly Bloom performed up to expectations today.

Sharp 'N' Smart will probably be given another chance.  Terrible run.  Caught very wide from the get go and had to go forward looking for cover just before mid-race.  Managed to get in from very wide to 3 wide without much cover.  Could be excused for feeling the pinch turning for home.  Has got excuses.

Molly Bloom a soft run close to the rail for most of the race.  Presented to improve and seems to be not up to the Aussie class.  That's two quite poor runs this time back in on the back of two very average trials.  Might be better back in NZ or at least spelled for the autumn and/or aimed at a lower level of racing.  Another horse suffering from the Aussie Kheir touch?

8 minutes ago, Shad said:

No show when your caught wide in good company, see how he goes next time, hopefully better.

Especially without cover.  You can get away with it if you do.  Just look at who he dragged into the race!

Luke Currie (Sharp 'N' Smart): “He had a torrid run. He was four and five wide early and then pressed on to be three-wide. So, he couldn't do anything out there.

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

Especially without cover.  You can get away with it if you do.  Just look at who he dragged into the race!

Luke Currie (Sharp 'N' Smart): “He had a torrid run. He was four and five wide early and then pressed on to be three-wide. So, he couldn't do anything out there.

That certainly sums it up, always a worry when horses have those gutbuster runs, fingers crossed he's pulled up ok, I remember winning a hack race over 2000m metres with a horse we had a share in, sat 3 wide the trip no cover, and got there by skin of his teeth, for every one that can with a torrid trip, there be a lot that cant, just to tough to do.

19 minutes ago, Shad said:

That certainly sums it up, always a worry when horses have those gutbuster runs, fingers crossed he's pulled up ok, I remember winning a hack race over 2000m metres with a horse we had a share in, sat 3 wide the trip no cover, and got there by skin of his teeth, for every one that can with a torrid trip, there be a lot that cant, just to tough to do.

The grey mare tried it the last race at Randwick and put up a hell of an effort.

Sharp 'N' Smart winning the 2022 Spring Champion Stakes.

Differences to yesterdays run:

1.  got some cover when 3 wide versus being 4 and 5 wide without.

2.  Biwman didn't panic and rode hin quiet as opposed to making a move forward nidrace to get in.

3.  Got a drag up to the leaders and was able to have the last crack at them.  Yesterday no such luck.

4.  Is he better the right hand way round?

5.  A better field yesterday and all ages versus his own age group and most horses that didn't go on.

https://racing.racingnsw.com.au/InteractiveForm/Meeting.aspx?meetcode=ODY4NzkwNjY0MA==#Race8

• Champ Post 1

13 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

My starting point with a horse like this, is, gee!  Had So Many Hard Runs... they are not machines....

Do I detect some sarcasm?  

The facts are he hasn't been raced that hard compared to many past and present.

He has had significant periods of spelling.  At least 2 x 6 months.

21 starts overall.  Sure half of those were as a 3 yr old.  But that isn't uncommon.  In that year he had a couple of spells including one of 13 weeks.

He was tracking OK then got a bacterial infection.  6 months off.

1 hour ago, Freda said:

What about Molly Bloom, thoughts?

I don't think she is up to the OZZIE level.

She also highlights the irrelevance of the NZ Bloodstock Filly of the Year award.  The best 3 yr old filly in NZ last year was Orchestral yet she didn't win Filly of the Year.  

I can't work out why NZ Bloodstock don't get how their fixation on KM and other sweepstake races is actually doing the opposite of what their objective is.  To promote the NZ breed.

When was the last time the reviewed the criteria for NZB Filly of the Year? 

8 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't think she is up to the OZZIE level.

She also highlights the irrelevance of the NZ Bloodstock Filly of the Year award.  The best 3 yr old filly in NZ last year was Orchestral yet she didn't win Filly of the Year.  

I can't work out why NZ Bloodstock don't get how their fixation on KM and other sweepstake races is actually doing the opposite of what their objective is.  To promote the NZ breed.

When was the last time the reviewed the criteria for NZB Filly of the Year? 

I agree. She's 5-8 lengths shy of Orchestral and not up to the best in Oz.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Do I detect some sarcasm?  

100% Not   

All the Monster runs he put it comes at a cost!

Happy for any horse to prove wrong! :)

ps. I'm about 3% patriotic when it comes to a horse bet! V International in my taste! 

(mumble) not a stable I follow...

re that Mare, perhaps the Owner$ choosing that race??? 

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Plenty of examples through racing history where it hasn't.  You'd know that!

lol,  what is missing from my analysist of him, is that I have Not seen him literally this season,  that race on sat was a 99% watch v a race to bet into, very exciting to watch it was too! TWO World Class Riders riding out a G1 Race at (for me anyway!) the Best Track in the World :)

20 hours ago, Freda said:

What about Molly Bloom, thoughts?

Zac Lloyd (Molly Bloom): “A bit disappointed with her. She travelled really well. Lovely smooth run for he on the back of Kovalica and when they quickened, she lacked that turn of foot at the 400m leaving her flat footed.”

Josh Parr (Rediener): “I butchered him.”