Bit Of A Yarn

Arron White...PLEASE. Enough already.

Joe Kidd

45 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

murray burns a pretty good listen

I was never a fan of the radio pacific callers, Alby, George, Murray burns, Paul Davies, Kevin Payne..I used to tune in to 3zb in CHCH or 4zb in Dunedin from Auckland in the 80s on my dad's radio (very crackly )to listen to reon or Lachie Marshall calling even though I could listen to radio pacific crisp and clear, but found r.p callers very boring.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I was never a fan of the radio pacific callers, Alby, George, Murray burns, Paul Davies, Kevin Payne..I used to tune in to 3zb in CHCH or 4zb in Dunedin from Auckland in the 80s on my dad's radio (very crackly )to listen to reon or Lachie Marshall calling even though I could listen to radio pacific crisp and clear, but found r.p callers very boring.

I agree on the RP callers. We all have our favs and the ones that turn us off. I was never a fan of Mike O'Sullivan. To be 100% honest, I'm not a big fan of George Simon either. George is accurate and colourful but has dominated Northern racing for so long that most things about his calls seem tired these days. Same old same old. I won't be disappointed if someone like Bruce Sherwin takes over but Bruce may be in the rest home by the time George gives up his spot. I must own my bias here and admit that I had great respect and admiration for Keith Haub who George replaced years before Keith had done his dash. Keith was exciting to listen to and very accurate. He was also a great entertainer who always had new material to bring a smile. I miss the days of Paddy, Mary and Keith doing their radio racing show on a Saturday morning.

I remember a race Keith called where there was about a head between six or seven runners. Could have been an Easter? Nose nose, nose etc and Keith nailed it exactly right from first to sixth. Incredible. There was a photo of the race finish on the front page of the Friday Flash.

Whenever I think of colourful Lachie Marshall, I recall a race he was calling at Forbury. Lord Module was a raging hot fav and had the race at his mercy. Lachie felt Ces was not there to win and said so during his call. Never heard anything like that since. Anyone else recall that call? Always enjoyed his calls.

Anyone remember Gordon Matheson down South? I was listening to a call with my dad as a young fella and Gordon was having an extended yarn about the seagulls in the infield while the race was on. It was hard case. My dad was yelling at the radio. %%^## the seagulls! 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

Certainly remember Gordon Matheson alright , good steady  caller at Forbury I can remember one night he nearly went of the radar when Dreamy Morn won in an unbelievable performance think it may have been the  fruturity  or one day at Waikiouiti  and I was very young and Gay Gordon won the 1 leg of the double then came out and won the 2nd leg , I think it was Gordon I reckon he nearly pissed himself with excitement.

Bill Cherry , I covered many meetings down south in those days and Bill was the caller didn’t matter to much about the quality of the caller in those days in Invercargill but he was a bit of a legend to people from down there .

He had the shop on Dee street I think .

Hell of a nice bloke 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

Gay Gordon. There's a name I haven't heard for years. The sire of course of Mighty Gay who I won a small fortune from in the 70's. Shit, am I that old? I think he won both legs of a double when I was cutting my teeth in the game. I assume "Gay" had a different meaning back in the day. Not sure you could get away with calling a horse "Mighty Gay" now. The world has gone nuts. The world is so worried about offending some precious soul that we can't say things that need to be said.

I do recall Bill Cheery. My memory may be playing tricks on me but I can vaguely remember Bill calling my double home at Wingatui. Armbrose Lodge won the first leg and First Tuesday the second leg if those runners make any sense. Funny how some names stick. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Joe Kidd said:

Gay Gordon. There's a name I haven't heard for years. The sire of course of Mighty Gay who I won a small fortune from in the 70's. Shit, am I that old? I think he won both legs of a double when I was cutting my teeth in the game. I assume "Gay" had a different meaning back in the day. Not sure you could get away with calling a horse "Mighty Gay" now. The world has gone nuts. The world is so worried about offending some precious soul that we can't say things that need to be said.

I do recall Bill Cheery. My memory may be playing tricks on me but I can vaguely remember Bill calling my double home at Wingatui. Armbrose Lodge won the first leg and First Tuesday the second leg if those runners make any sense. Funny how some names stick. 

No such thing as free speech anymore, always some community with a very thin skin that will take offence but who's opinion is worth 10x that of the average person!

Yes, some horses names certainly stick.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joe Kidd said:

Yes Gay Gordon won both legs of the double , I think the 1st leg was the Waikouiti cup, think that was 65 as I was only 9 huge crowd.

yeah his son Mighty Gay went on to win the same race the Waikouiti Cup years later , his win in the cup gave me enough to buy a new car a fountain stereo and a wad for me to go to the next interdoms.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I remember one night in the 80s, tuning in to Radio Pacific to listen to the first leg of the double from Alex Park. 

Think Mark Bennett had talkback show on, this guy had rung up and stated that nobody ever listens to him, he felt worthless and nobody cares about him, and he considered taking his life. Guy had just said this, then talkback host said we will put you on hold, have to take Regs call from the park?? 

Hope the caller pulled thru

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

I remember one night in the 80s, tuning in to Radio Pacific to listen to the first leg of the double from Alex Park. 

Think Mark Bennett had talkback show on, this guy had rung up and stated that nobody ever listens to him, he felt worthless and nobody cares about him, and he considered taking his life. Guy had just said this, then talkback host said we will put you on hold, have to take Regs call from the park?? 

Hope the caller pulled thru

Racing was priority then!

On a Saturday night on the zb network in the 80s George balarney used to have a $20 bet giveaway which I won once when I was 14 they used to cover live the 2 double legs race 6 & 8 and 3rd treble leg race 10 , George would ring the person at just after the 7pm news and you would give your selections live on Radio.. I took a $12 3x2x2 treble and an $8 DBL 2x4 missed the treble and got concession dble it was at forbury park. A week later got a cheque for $32 ...that was a lot of space invaders games for me at my local Torbay fish and chip shop!

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Kakama said:

3zb....yes your right.

Remember well listening to a race....only to have news interupt call..

Did Addington have a new years eve meeting years ago, or was it new years day. Maybe in the early 80s?

Think it was hosted by New Brighton TC  or canterbury park around New year's, could have been the breeders stakes rum or ordeal cup?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I like borana mile rate for the 2000m stand 2.12

He was a nice little horse. Followed him right throughout his career and backed him in the Cup. In fact if you look at the 3yr old race on the same night , some of those were in that Cup race. 

How time has flown by.

8 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

He was a nice little horse. Followed him right throughout his career and backed him in the Cup. In fact if you look at the 3yr old race on the same night , some of those were in that Cup race. 

How time has flown by.

Yes some high class ones in the 3yo, mai mai, enterprise, Norton and Camelot....never forget borana last to first win.... anything could win a cup back then.