Bit Of A Yarn

Arron White...PLEASE. Enough already.

Joe Kidd

David Butcher is not the Chief.

Todd Mitchell is not the Wizard.

Tony Herlihy is not the Iceman.

Maurice McKendry is not the Magic Man.

They are horseman. Very good horseman but horseman all the same. Can you just leave it at that ffs.

I've heard him say "The Wizard" eight times in one race. It's a complete turnoff. Unsure if Arron is on a quest to suck up to these drivers, or start a trend or is on some sort of commission to use his nicknames / petnames as many times as possible per race. I find it cringe worthy and generally won't bet on any races he's calling any more. 

I was a regular attendee at Alex Park but his incessant pet name calling during races eventually became like sunburn on sunburn and we haven't been back to the park for 18 months. My wife and I never missed an Auckland Cup meeting until the over the top name calling just turned us off the entire race .  

When he's not screaming in a finish, repeatedly using petnames and is not all dressed up and nowhere to go, he's actually a very good caller. 

• Like 5
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 3

Yes i  totally agree with the above post  .I was  watching  a few  races, not betting  and i see this race at cambridge  and i thought   wtf , this caller never stopped saying the names and nicknames of the drivers,wow   it put me off so much  thank god for the mute button.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, theshu said:

Yes i  totally agree with the above post  .I was  watching  a few  races, not betting  and i see this race at cambridge  and i thought   wtf , this caller never stopped saying the names and nicknames of the drivers,wow   it put me off so much  thank god for the mute button.

You forgot the postman!!

• Like 2

In all sincerity, I have to ask what Aaron's motivation is to not only use his pet names during a race but to do so incessantly?

Does he feel it enhances his race call? If so, he's very sadly mistaken. It detracts from it considerably to the point it becomes fingernails down a blackboard for many. Surely, he has someone in his world that can pull him aside and tell him about the word FAIL.

Is he trying to start a trend where everyone in the game calls David Butcher "the chief" ? If so, this is another enormous fail. I have never heard anyone else in the game describe David as "the chief" despite Aaron blurting that out numerous times in every race he calls where David is driving. 

Is he trying to curry favour with these horseman so they become his personal friends? If so, please do so without involving those that are only interested in the race they are watching or listening to.  

We were invited to Auckland Cup night on New Years eve. We had to decline. The incessant boot licking / brown nosing is such a turn off, it impacts on our interest and enjoyment of a sport we love. 

He can be a very good caller if he did just that. Unfortunately, his other motivations have become a dominant and unwelcome feature.

As for his signature "all dressed up and nowhere to go". The first time I heard it, I thought it was all good. Many callers have a signature description in their call. There is a NSW caller who's hopeless but describes the parked out horse as being a "king brown" away. Nothing wrong with that and even appropriate. Another NSW guy calls races like they are yachting races. Bla bla has the spinnaker up and is circumnavigating the field. Hard case really but not a turn off. It's the overdoing of a signature description that becomes sunburn on sunburn. Use it less or even god forbid, come up with other descriptions that don't include words like the iceman, the chief, the magic man, the postman and worst of all, "The Wizard". That's the one most used and abused. 

Edited by Joe Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

26 minutes ago, Joe Kidd said:

In all sincerity, I have to ask what Aaron's motivation is to not only use his pet names during a race but to do so incessantly?

Does he feel it enhances his race call? If so, he's very sadly mistaken. It detracts from it considerably to the point it becomes fingernails down a blackboard for many. Surely, he has someone in his world that can pull him aside and tell him about the word FAIL.

Is he trying to start a trend where everyone in the game calls David Butcher "the chief" ? If so, this is another enormous fail. I have never heard anyone else in the game describe David as "the chief" despite Aaron blurting that out numerous times in every race he calls where David is driving. 

Is he trying to curry favour with these horseman so they become his personal friends? If so, please do so without involving those that are only interested in the race they are watching or listening to.  

We were invited to Auckland Cup night on New Years eve. We had to decline. The incessant boot licking / brown nosing is such a turn off, it impacts on our interest and enjoyment of a sport we love. 

He can be a very good caller if he did just that. Unfortunately, his other motivations have become a dominant and unwelcome feature.

As for his signature "all dressed up and nowhere to go". The first time I heard it, I thought it was all good. Many callers have a signature description in their call. There is a NSW caller who's hopeless but describes the parked out horse as being a "king brown" away. Nothing wrong with that and even appropriate. Another NSW guy calls races like they are yachting races. Bla bla has the spinnaker up and is circumnavigating the field. Hard case really but not a turn off. It's the overdoing of a signature description that becomes sunburn on sunburn. Use it less or even god forbid, come up with other descriptions that don't include words like the iceman, the chief, the magic man, the postman and worst of all, "The Wizard". That's the one most used and abused. 

heres a  think about this for a minute,  what would be easier to remember in 3 minutes  the name of the jockey or  driver or  the  nick name  maybe you should sign up to commentate see how long it takes you befoe you uses other terms 

22 minutes ago, Joe Kidd said:

Only a matter of time before Cheryl Wigg becomes the "hairdresser" or the "judge"!

Reg Clapp was all class, Peter wolfendon was 'wolfie' Tony herlihy was "Tony H"  m mackendry "Maurie Mac" and when Jack smolenski ventured up to Auckland he was occasionally "Jacky boy" but nothing was overkill .

I like Aaron and he seems like a very nice genuine chap, I enjoy his calling on the thoroughbred racing his tempo goes up a notch and as things happen a bit quicker he doesn't have as much time for to much wah wah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Only a matter of time before Cheryl Wigg becomes the "hairdresser" or the "judge"!

Reg Clapp was all class, Peter wolfendon was 'wolfie' Tony herlihy was "Tony H"  m mackendry "Maurie Mac" and when Jack smolenski ventured up to Auckland he was occasionally "Jacky boy" but nothing was overkill .

I like Aaron and he seems like a very nice genuine chap, I enjoy his calling on the thoroughbred racing his tempo goes up a notch and as things happen a bit quicker he doesn't have as much time for to much wah wah!

Too true, 

Reg was great, even when he was pissed. Always remember his first husky line, RACING THIS TIME. 

Marky Mac has a great wit, always pops in a funny line regarding a horses name, but he does it in a way that is funny and entertaining, so that is the difference. 

The most frustrating thing about Aaron, is while they are racing to the post, punters want a clear call to the line, especially if listening in car etc. When you hear him getting excited about chief, magic, iceman etc, most just want to hear their horse. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On commentators in general, why can't they just call it as they see it (with some humour and added 'feel', but not too much).  If a horse is in the lead or outside the leader, that's what they are. Not "in the van" or " in the chair". If someone is new to racing and watching, they must wonder what the commentator is talking about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gee said:

heres a  think about this for a minute,  what would be easier to remember in 3 minutes  the name of the jockey or  driver or  the  nick name  maybe you should sign up to commentate see how long it takes you befoe you uses other terms 

I have no interest in being a race caller. I'm a punter, an owner and a lover of the light harness sport.

When I listen to the American race callers I feel we are fortunate to have the callers we do. Most of the yanks I've heard are very average. The Japanese are even worse. Around corner two and around corner three and down the stretch they come. Makes me laugh as he tries to make it sound exciting.  I feel a little old to concede that I grew up listening to Jack O'Donnell who in my opinion was cut from the same cloth as Reg Clapp. I went into the callers box with Jack as a young fella and was fascinated by it all. Overall we are very fortunate to have the callers we do. Mark Mac is easily the best in my opinion. Most of them are colourful guys who do a great job.

I was also a fan of John Tapp's style of calling in NSW. No contrived excitement and always accurate and a pleasure to listen to.

As for memorizing horses for a race. I can pick out Rick May for example in any race. Usually don't need to see the drivers colours. Same applies with many drivers. I'm confident most experienced race viewers are the same. David Butcher is also not difficult to pick out either. If you do you're job as a caller, it should be straightforward enough to remember all the horses and drivers names. Not sure how it could ever help the caller by incessantly referring to David Butcher as the chief or Todd Mitchell as the wizard.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Joe Kidd said:

David Butcher is not the Chief.

Todd Mitchell is not the Wizard.

Tony Herlihy is not the Iceman.

Maurice McKendry is not the Magic Man.

They are horseman. Very good horseman but horseman all the same. Can you just leave it at that ffs.

I've heard him say "The Wizard" eight times in one race. It's a complete turnoff. Unsure if Arron is on a quest to suck up to these drivers, or start a trend or is on some sort of commission to use his nicknames / petnames as many times as possible per race. I find it cringe worthy and generally won't bet on any races he's calling any more. 

I was a regular attendee at Alex Park but his incessant pet name calling during races eventually became like sunburn on sunburn and we haven't been back to the park for 18 months. My wife and I never missed an Auckland Cup meeting until the over the top name calling just turned us off the entire race .  

When he's not screaming in a finish, repeatedly using petnames and is not all dressed up and nowhere to go, he's actually a very good caller. 

He is a poor caller who needs to mention the above to get by.

Enjoy Auckland Trots but watch with mute button on. Only way to enjoy.

Arron if you have time go back and listen to our good callers over the years...... listen and learn.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gee said:

i think all   callers and commentators have there trade marks ,  calls would be pretty boring  and for a caller if you gotta do 10-11 races a day i notice even lil mac  has his sayings 

still don't get the fuss 

I respect the fact his pet names and the incessant use of them during races does not bother you. I wish I felt the same way. My wife turns the idiot box on when she's busy in the kitchen. The issue for me there is when the commercials come on. They are louder than the show she was watching and some are an assault on my senses. She however just blanks them out.

Callers having trademark descriptions is fine and dandy as Forest would say. The issue arises when those descriptions are ridiculous and the caller insists on hitting listeners over the head with them as often as possible during race calls. Can you share with me please how calling Todd Mitchell "The Wizard" eight times in one race alone added to the excitement / colour of the race and in any way made said race less boring?  How in Gods name is David Butcher "the chief"? What is he chief of? It's a bloody ridiculous,irrelevant and totally unnecessary name. Why not start calling all drivers pet names? The Godfather hasn't been used yet. Who wants that handle? I'm sure we could call one of our lovely female drivers "Tinkerbelle" and be sure to use it repeatedly during the race until everyone turns on the mute. When asked why he used that pet name, the caller can say he was making the race more exciting / less boring.

The Lovable Rogue, The Midnight Toker, The Pierced Nipple, The Hitman, The Snowflake, The Big Pecker, The Hairy Backed One, The Goblin and The Shaved One are also still available. We could just do away with horse names and call races on the drivers pet names. At least we could have a laugh.   

Call me old fashioned possum but I'm one of those weirdo's that place zero value on false / contrived excitement and prefer David, Todd, Maurice, Blair and Tony etc all be called by their given names, especially during races.  Let the race provide the colour and excitement and the caller just describe that. There's a novel idea.   

5 hours ago, Joe Kidd said:

I respect the fact his pet names and the incessant use of them during races does not bother you. I wish I felt the same way. My wife turns the idiot box on when she's busy in the kitchen. The issue for me there is when the commercials come on. They are louder than the show she was watching and some are an assault on my senses. She however just blanks them out.

Callers having trademark descriptions is fine and dandy as Forest would say. The issue arises when those descriptions are ridiculous and the caller insists on hitting listeners over the head with them as often as possible during race calls. Can you share with me please how calling Todd Mitchell "The Wizard" eight times in one race alone added to the excitement / colour of the race and in any way made said race less boring?  How in Gods name is David Butcher "the chief"? What is he chief of? It's a bloody ridiculous,irrelevant and totally unnecessary name. Why not start calling all drivers pet names? The Godfather hasn't been used yet. Who wants that handle? I'm sure we could call one of our lovely female drivers "Tinkerbelle" and be sure to use it repeatedly during the race until everyone turns on the mute. When asked why he used that pet name, the caller can say he was making the race more exciting / less boring.

The Lovable Rogue, The Midnight Toker, The Pierced Nipple, The Hitman, The Snowflake, The Big Pecker, The Hairy Backed One, The Goblin and The Shaved One are also still available. We could just do away with horse names and call races on the drivers pet names. At least we could have a laugh.   

Call me old fashioned possum but I'm one of those weirdo's that place zero value on false / contrived excitement and prefer David, Todd, Maurice, Blair and Tony etc all be called by their given names, especially during races.  Let the race provide the colour and excitement and the caller just describe that. There's a novel idea.   

Totally agree Joe. Having been around for a long time myself , it is a turn off, while at the same time respecting Aaron's ability to call a race. 

I hope he listens in here, although I suspect he doesn't. It might give him cause to think. Let's hope so

• Like 3