Bit Of A Yarn

Anyone interested?

Reefton

If anyone is interested I will put the Reefton submission on the venue review up on the site.  I suspect that that document has been done to death but if anyone is interested???

In fact there is a few hours to go so constructive criticism would be welcomed as well(note the word 'constructive' Thomass - incoherent babble is not required

Edited by Reefton
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Reefton said:

If anyone is interested I will put the Reefton submission on the venue review up on the site.  I suspect that that document has been done to death but if anyone is interested???

In fact there is a few hours to go so constructive criticism would be welcomed as well(note the word 'constructive' Thomass - incoherent babble is not required

I've lost hours of sleep overnight waiting for it...

Have you gone Bush ffs??

You only have to impress Deano Mak anyway...and being a Mainlander that shouldn't be too hard

Right they are going to see it anyhow today so may as well put it online. 

Thomass I am not interested in your drivel but if anyone else has constructive criticism I would welcome an email through BOAY.  In your case Mardigras you and I will have to differ on the topic of government generosity in Aussie and Ireland.  One way or another they have advantages over NZ financially  though in Aussie's case the advantage obviously comes from the sheer volume of punting taking place.

20190319092546.pdf

Edited by Reefton
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Reefton said:

In your case Mardigras you and I will have to differ on the topic of government generosity in Aussie and Ireland.  One way or another they have advantages over NZ financially  though in Aussie's case the advantage obviously comes from the sheer volume of punting taking place.

20190319092546.pdf 493.45 kB · 5 downloads

People don't have to agree. But in the topic of government generosity, I have only offered facts, not opinion.

Whether those governments are able to make the contributions they appear to do, due to punter interest/volume isn't really related since they don't actually make contribution, they take from the industry and give a percentage of that back.

The volume merely sets the level of licence fees etc that they can take based on the profitability of those organisations (along with the income tax the federal government gets on top of that).

It's what we should have done but missed the boat because some wanted to retain a protectionist environment whilst at the same time pushing everyone down the path of offshore racing to the detriment of local interest.

47 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Thomass I am not interested in your drivel but if anyone else has constructive criticism I would welcome an email through BOAY.  In your case Mardigras you and I will have to differ on the topic of government generosity in Aussie and Ireland.  One way or another they have advantages over NZ financially  though in Aussie's case the advantage obviously comes from the sheer volume of punting taking place.

20190319092546.pdf 493.45 kB · 6 downloads

Very good honest from the heart stuff Reefton, well written. It is So much part of a whole west coast community, those on course figures for the 4 days at riccarton were appalling by a city racecourse standard.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mardigras said:

People don't have to agree. But in the topic of government generosity, I have only offered facts, not opinion.

Whether those governments are able to make the contributions they appear to do, due to punter interest/volume isn't really related since they don't actually make contribution, they take from the industry and give a percentage of that back.

The volume merely sets the level of licence fees etc that they can take based on the profitability of those organisations (along with the income tax the federal government gets on top of that).

It's what we should have done but missed the boat because some wanted to retain a protectionist environment whilst at the same time pushing everyone down the path of offshore racing to the detriment of local interest.

Yeah as I say we will agree to differ but I was more getting at tax concessions for the breeding industry that the tote revenues

30 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Very good honest from the heart stuff Reefton, well written. It is So much part of a whole west coast community, those on course figures for the 4 days at riccarton were appalling by a city racecourse standard.

thanks for that

Truly if we got a turnover of $27500 on a good fine day or a total of 46 horses wanting to go around I would be taking the hint

I have always said pure economics will tell us when it is time to go - The owners trainers and punters should tell us when it is time not those idiots at NZTR

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

38 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Just a wee small one Reefer

Are you saying you sent this document to Deano...AFTER the Interim report was released??

"They" being the Vella Fella et el??

thanx

I told you I wasn't interested in your piffle but why the f... do you have this fascination with Dean McKenzie?  I do not know the man, have never spoken to him nor even ever seen him(except on TV) and am certainly not going to be sending any submission on this his way.

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about(but then again with you that is not unusual)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

I told you I wasn't interested in your piffle but why the f... do you have this fascination with Dean McKenzie?  I do not know the man, have never spoken to him nor even ever seen him(except on TV) and am certainly not going to be sending any submission on this his way.

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about(but then again with you that is not unusual)

Oh please...

You mean you didn't know about submissions being taken by Winn's Committee...not some B Grade NZTR submission process?

Id have thought you lot would be onto it....especially with D Mak being involved...

What rocks have you guys been under if you're less than familiar with him ffs??

The mind boggles

Purpose of the Committee

The Committee is a ministerial advisory committee appointed by the Minister for Racing. The Committee will be charged foremost with setting a sense of direction for the intended racing reforms with particular focus on prioritising those recommendations that have been identified as the main drivers required for successful industry reformThis will provide the basis for a prioritised work plan for the Committee, to be provided to the Minister of Racing early in 2019.  It is also charged with scoping up the operational decision points (whether technical, legal, financial or process orientated) for racing reform, engaging with industry throughout, and offer analysis to the Minister for Racing on opportunities (i.e., the industry’s untapped potential) as well as roadblocks to returning the industry to a well-managed and sustainable economic growth path.

It will involve the Committee gathering and analysing a wide range of inputs and carrying out engagement, investigation, and analysis about the effects of specific proposals under core areas of the Messara Report, including:

• the governance and structure of racing;
• finance and distribution to the codes;
• new legislation to support the various dimensions of racing reform;
• wagering and the TAB;
• club consolidation, racecourses and prizemoney; and
• any other matters that the Committee considers relevant to its work, including establishing the Racing Industry Transitional Authority (RITA).

Outputs

Interim report

The Committee will provide an interim report to the Minister for Racing by 28 February 2019.

The Committee’s interim report should include:

• Advice to the Minister based on the Committee’s analysis of the six core areas listed immediately above;
• A detailed plan for the Committee’s remaining work until RITA is established in legislation; and
• Any other matters the Committee wishes to raise with the Minister for Racing.

4 hours ago, Reefton said:

20190319092546.pdf 493.45 kB · 17 downloads

Well done Reefton and your commitee , unfortunately there is very little commonsense and reality at NZTR or NZRB , so i fear your report will be read in a very dark room which will allow them to report they have found little of consequence , which will allow them to push thru their agenda irrespective of the consequence to the multitude of small players . I have felt for a long time that they have a fixed agenda which they will impliment come hell or high water , they have a mindset that they are all knowing and the minions should just sit back and let them get on with it , irrespective of the " lip service " consultation process . This will be the death knell for NZ thoroughbred racing in NZ , just as the $50,000,000 " PILE OF SHYTE " FOB TAB site will signal the end for the funding of NZ racing . I applaud you and your committee and wish you every success .

Edited by nomates
  • Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

27 minutes ago, nomates said:

Well done Reefton and your commitee , unfortunately there is very little commonsense and reality at NZTR or NZRB , so i fear your report will be read in a very dark room which will allow them to report they have found little of consequence , which will allow them to push thru their agenda irrespective of the consequence to the multitude of small players . I have felt for a long time that they have a fixed agenda which they will impliment come hell or high water , they have a mindset that they are all knowing and the minions should just sit back and let them get on with it , irrespective of the " lip service " consultation process . This will be the death knell for NZ thoroughbred racing in NZ , just as the $50,000,000 " PILE OF SHYTE " FOB TAB site will signal the end for the funding of NZ racing . I applaud you and your committee and wish you every success .

Appreciate that

And i have the same feeling - and wasting copious amounts of time putting together submissions like this when you know they are probably going to be ignored REALLY annoys me. 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

3 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Appreciate that

And i have the same feeling - and wasting copious amounts of time putting together submissions like this when you know they are probably going to be ignored REALLY annoys me. 

" PISSED " or " FECKED OFF " are words i think i would use but then having most things i loved about racing slowly undermined by suits breaks my heart . I genuinly feel true racing peaple could solve all or most of the issues dragging racing down but like most things that are wrong with the world , suits in all forms think they know best . 

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

18 minutes ago, nomates said:

" PISSED " or " FECKED OFF " are words i think i would use but then having most things i loved about racing slowly undermined by suits breaks my heart . I genuinly feel true racing peaple could solve all or most of the issues dragging racing down but like most things that are wrong with the world , suits in all forms think they know best . 

And that all comes down to the fact that the people who run the industry have not the slightest connection with the industry itself.

Taking away a direct line from the Boards to the stakeholders has rooted the industry

• Champ Post 2

14 minutes ago, Reefton said:

And that all comes down to the fact that the people who run the industry have not the slightest connection with the industry itself.

Taking away a direct line from the Boards to the stakeholders has rooted the industry

Whilst i do agree i also know that when stakeholders have been able to have input they have put self interest ahead of the whole , the removal of free racing a few seasons back a perfect example , head of the trainers assn at that time pushed that agenda and i don't recall too many trainers at that time standing up and saying NO not the right  thing for the " INDUSTRY ". People at the coal face haven't had real leaders for a long time .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

$50,000,000 on the FOB

Read it again $ 5 0,  0 0 0,  0 0 0 on the F O B...

We were pissed off and shafted when the Key Govt wasted $26,000,000 on the stupid Flag referendum , the FOB cost twice as much , sorry I just can't get my head around this. 

The FOB is substandard , even if it cost $500,000.00

• Like 1

A very well written, and straight to the point submission. Let's hope they can reconsider their original plan, I'm making it my mission to make some of these meetings slated for closure, all going well will start with the iconic riverton meeting.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Shad said:

A very well written, and straight to the point submission. Let's hope they can reconsider their original plan, I'm making it my mission to make some of these meetings slated for closure, all going well will start with the iconic riverton meeting.

Thanks for that

• Like 1