Bit Of A Yarn

Kentucky Derby SHOCK!!

Thomass

Wowzer!!

The first DQ in history...would have kept the race here...pays to be careful in the States Jocks

The moment that shaped the result of the Kentucky Derby... Maximum Security is disqualified and 65/1 Country House is the second biggest-priced winner ever of the race... #KyDerby

0:27

Embedded video

11:29 AM · May 5, 2019 · Twitter Web Client

12 hours ago, holy ravioli said:

amazing relegation.

Look at Sydney Melbourne racing ..win by a nose and you still hold the race 99 times out of a 100.

Rules are different.  What the 2nd horse was doing was irrelevant.  Straight DQ and the right call according to the US racing experts I have heard.  But your right in NZ/Aus you can do anything and unless the placegetters can prove that they would have won but for the interference you get away with it.

Friends of mine in San Francisco say there is strong support for stewards' decision ..their rules are different from ours, clearly. If it had been OP on Max Sec he'd have got another warning and anyone else woulda copped amonth's holiday based on [what might have happened... Jockey of MAXSec has offended before, apparently, in this way, incl at Churchill Downs.Was the outward drift intentional? Hard to say. 

Edited by Weasel

On 8/05/2019 at 4:20 PM, Weasel said:

Friends of mine in San Francisco say there is strong support for stewards' decision ..their rules are different from ours, clearly. If it had been OP on Max Sec he'd have got another warning and anyone else woulda copped amonth's holiday based on [what might have happened... Jockey of MAXSec has offended before, apparently, in this way, incl at Churchill Downs.Was the outward drift intentional? Hard to say. 

Intentional??

Not in a month of ducky birds Wes...

They know the rules backwards and sideways those Panamanians...

Youll observe the neddy shying at the 'Bush' some 5M away...3 clumps...and the Jock said post race...."shied at the crowd noise"

Im picking the neddy thought the crowd noise was coming from those 'bushes'

Give the Bush a Brazilian I say...or get rid of all of those bushes within 10M of the running line...sorted

I' m not saying it was intentional ...but the views of the connections of War of Will are interesting. (I have put the relevant word in bold to explain why I asked the question re intent.)

VIEW OF 'WAR OF WILL' TRAINER:

While looking at still photos from the race, Casse said Saez— while riding the rail — looks over his right shoulder in attempt to block oncoming horses while entering the final turn.

“He carried everybody out intentionally, and then he dives in,” Casse said. “It’s almost like following a drunk driver. You don’t know which direction he’s going to go. … People were taking shots at Tyler, saying he should have went inside or should have went outside. That really upset me. I went back and watched the entire race and noticed that we were bothered not just in the main event, but we were herded prior to that.”

VIEW OF 'WAR OF WILL' OWNER:

“The video evidence irrefutably shows that (West’s) horse, Maximum Security, caused a major infraction that almost led to a catastrophe and in doing so denied my horse and others of a better placing,” Barber said.

and here's an extract from a very interesting article arguing that suspended jockey Luis Saez is lucky to cop just 15 days. As mentioned on an earlier post, Saez hasa truckload of recent  'form' in the careless riding department. He ain't learning the lesson. 

1) On Feb. 3, 2019, the Daily Racing Form's Marty McGee tweeted that Saez was handed out a five-day suspension for a ride on Blakey in Race 6 the previous day. That suspension came on the heels of another five-day suspension that the Gulfstream/Florida stewards issued him the week beforehand.

2) On Dec. 6, 2018, the New York Racing and Wagering Board issued a 10-calendar day suspension for careless riding for an infraction that occurred in the fourth race at Aqueduct on Nov. 30. In the report, the stewards noted that Saez failed “…to maintain a straight course and drifted out without proper clearance with his mount inside the 1/16th pole.”

3) On Nov. 4, 2018, the New York Racing and Wagering Board issued a $500 fine to Saez for misuse of the riding crop during the running of the first race at Belmont Park on Oct. 26, 2018. According to the ruling, Saez struck his mount more than 5 times consecutively.

4) On Sept. 1, 2018, the New York Racing and Wagering Board suspended Saez five NYRA racing days for careless riding in the first race at Belmont Park on May 10, 2018. According to the ruling, Saez failed to maintain a straight path in the vicinity of the 1/16th pole. The report states This after having been previously warned.”

5) On May 9, 2018, the New York Racing and Wagering Board suspended Saez five NYRA racing days for careless riding in a race at Belmont Park on April 28. According to the report, he failed to maintain a straight line.

6) On April 11, 2018, the New York Racing and Wagering Board suspended Saez five NYRA racing days for careless riding at Belmont Park on Oct. 12, 2017. According to the report, he failed to maintain a straight course. The report went on to read: “…and this having been previously warned to maintain a straight course when riding and that safety of the horses and riders are paramount.”

The list goes on and on and on and on: Three more in New York in 2017. Two at Keeneland in the Spring of 2017. Two at Saratoga in the Summer of 2016.

That's more than 20 suspensions dating back to 2013.

Haha...that's nothing compared to J Riddell's rap sheet!

Hes had almost 20 this season....and he's just joined the whip violator list as well!

That neddy was clearly shying in my book though...he said the crowd noise..then there were the bushes close to where the shying was going on...

..plus he had his left handle bar well down trying to correct him shying!

So in typical Yankee style...the Owners are going to Court....the Stipes should plead the 5th

"what goes on on the Race Track...stays onda race track'

Its like the Greeks appealing our Te Awamutu Jackpot meeting in '72...or was it '73...come in nod...You the only old begged here...apart from moi

Maximum Security crossed the finish line first in the 145th Kentucky Derby but was eventually disqualified and dropped to 17th when stewards ruled he drifted out of his running lane and impeded the progress of other horses in the race.

After the race, Borden said Maximum Security was disqualified in a unanimous decision for interfering with the progress of War of Will, who in turn interfered with Long Range Toddy and Bodexpress.

The Wests' claimed the decision was "arbitrary and capricious" in their denied appeal.

"The stewards unanimously disqualified Maximum Security following two objections lodged immediately after the 145th running of the Kentucky Derby and after a thorough review of the race replay. That determination is not subject to an appeal," read the denial, which was signed by Guilfoil.

In Tuesday's lawsuit, the Wests called the lack of appeals process, as well as the disqualification process, "bizarre."

The plaintiffs point to a state law that says a court may review a state agency’s final orders and may reverse it if is "without support of substantial evidence" or is "arbitrary, capricious or characterized by abuse of discretion."

The Wests say that "throughout the bumping and striking incidents, all of which occurred behind him," Maximum Security was "entitled as the leading horse to a path on the track of his choosing," according to the suit.

The Wests note that the stewards never posted an inquiry, "having not observed any foul or interference." The stewards also disallowed an objection from Country House jockey Flavien Prat, who claimed interference, calling it "meritless," according to the suit.

An objection from Long Range Toddy jockey Jon Court was sustained, the suit notes. But while stewards claimed they "interviewed affected riders," neither War of Will jockey Tyler Gaffalione nor Bodexpress jockey Chris Landeros were interviewed, the suit states.

Thommo -it was July '72 and 33000 crammed the course. Back then there was a further tote building down towards the turn. I remember it particularly well  as I went with Tex Molendorf [he ran the Lazy Cow in Symonds street. I had Floyds at Market road] Tex had a brand new Mitzubuti [sp?] and we were early so got a park right up by the office. Unfortunately the alternator was crook and we were marooned there till around midnight waiting for the AA.Thus we heard the whole bizo-what a bunch of moronic poor losers [were you in that bunch Thommo? ] 

16 hours ago, Fred said:

Thommo -it was July '72 and 33000 crammed the course. Back then there was a further tote building down towards the turn. I remember it particularly well  as I went with Tex Molendorf [he ran the Lazy Cow in Symonds street. I had Floyds at Market road] Tex had a brand new Mitzubuti [sp?] and we were early so got a park right up by the office. Unfortunately the alternator was crook and we were marooned there till around midnight waiting for the AA.Thus we heard the whole bizo-what a bunch of moronic poor losers [were you in that bunch Thommo? ] 

I was there!...in short pants as I'm way younger than you Freddy...we were late...in a Vee Dub....far more reliable than a Mitzi!....parked miles away by the side of the road...then negotiated cow pats through a farmers paddy...

...those were the days...lasted the first race then gonnne....

...then they went to court post meeting....can't have been dinky dye Punters moaning for so long!

Floyds was more World famous than the Cow wasn't it....sister to Flora's?