Bit Of A Yarn

TE AWAMUTU...Just WHY do we still race there again??

Thomass

Wtf is going on with this shithole of a track??

Another abandonment today...more meetings called off than race days...and they still go there?

NZTR's new Track Manager must have checked it out and passed it?

Give yourself a 50 uppercuts then...and NZTR's Bernie as well...what a joke of an outfit Bernie...

Last week 2 Steeple horses falling on the flat...and NOTHING investigated...and today Jaz Fawcett breaks her wrist??

1 hour ago, SLB2.0 said:

Worst track in NZ. That's personal preference so don't get your knickers in a twist.

Worst track for what?

Its a super track for punting, smart punters whom understand tempo and positioning can clean up there.

The facilities are horrible and it’s cold as hell there, however for a shitty winters day there was a huge crowd of locals there today and it’s bloody sad the day couldn’  continue.

Every track surface in the north’s shit except Ellerslie (now that the drainage is done) and the Avondale surface.

Ruakaka - a sand pit

Counties - more problems than Molloy.

Te Rapa - another sandpit.

Tauranga - spit on it and it flies to bits.

Matamata - passable but too tight for group racing.

Rotorua - most days you need to be against the outside fence to win. Most can’t handle it, if it’s not wet.

Te Aroha - the bend into the straight has a negative camber. 

Te Awamutu - say no more

Taupo - great for a county track

Te Teko - trials only, is its go 

Who have I left out?

Paeroa and Thames are gone. Who else?

☹️

• Like 1

14 hours ago, barryb said:

You 100% sure the track was responsible?.

I was at the track and to me she was up near the lead and looked to be crowded and fell. I heard that quite a few of the jockeys wanted to continue.

Heard that two senior jockeys wanted it canned, but yes,  many wanted to go on. The two senior jockeys won out.

17 hours ago, barryb said:

You 100% sure the track was responsible?.

I was at the track and to me she was up near the lead and looked to be crowded and fell. I heard that quite a few of the jockeys wanted to continue.

Are you 100% sure there wasn't a bias?

Fell free of interference....

"Following this race a delegation of Jockeys and Officials undertook an inspection of the area where the incident occurred and was found to be inconsistent."

Exactly the same problem a few months back...usually winter racing is ok...any other time without irrigation it's a mine field 

Just get rid...

14 hours ago, barryb said:

Worst track for what?

Its a super track for punting, smart punters whom understand tempo and positioning can clean up there.

The facilities are horrible and it’s cold as hell there, however for a shitty winters day there was a huge crowd of locals there today and it’s bloody sad the day couldn’  continue.

What's sad is stakeholders continue to turn up at this course..then go home early

You know the definition of madness Bazz...

Te Akau Monday Update

17 Jun 2019

David writes:

This morning I went on to the NZTR website to see what the official reason was for the abandonment of the racing at Waipa yesterday, Sunday.

I thought surely the Chairman and CEO would have comments on the debacle but NOT ONE word except a two liner that said: “The Waipa Races have been abandoned due to track issues. Please see New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing (NZTR) website for further information in the following days.”

These cancellations are happening so often these days that is is not even “news” now, it’s becoming “expected”.

It’s an absolute disgrace they way our industry is being run at a national level and I am calling for those the leadership of NZTR to resign.

Recently that very same Board wanted to close down Avondale, one of our best tracks – we would be yet another track down so where are we going to race? It’s all so very sad.

We have a government that has funds for an all-weather track yet NZTR hasn’t even formally announced where it is going and the timetable for it. It didn’t even ask Clubs for an expression of interest in where it would be established.

Should the all-weather track be at Ellerslie, Counties, Matamata, Te Aroha or even Taupo? I am not pushing for one venue over another but I am firmly of the view that proper and thorough research needs to take place and yet there is no real evidence of this.

One thing I do know is that NZTR keeps programming trials and race meetings on some tracks that can’t take safe racing – we are no hope of attracting and keeping new owners!

I honestly hoped I would never have to say this but I am now officially calling on the NZTR leadership to resign – you have failed this industry.

Surely the owners who spent all their money taking their horses to Waipa for the races on Sunday (and the trials there previously that were also called off) deserve an explanation from NZTR on the debacle – and surely someone at the top has to accept total responsibility and do the honourable thing.

Race day abandonments are a RED HERRING of WHALE proportions.  I doesn't matter what jurisdiction in the world where Thoroughbred Racing takes place there will always be abandonments!  The UK is not immune to them nor is Australia.

As for the abandonments this season, although we don't see the stats anymore, my guess is we have had less than previous years.

Where NZTR fail is in their lack of contingencies for abandonments however in their defence they have the NZRB to contend with when looking at an contingency for an abandoned race meeting.

The BIGGER issue is the condition of the tracks we DO RACE on!

23 hours ago, barryb said:

Worst track for what?

Hope you stayed away from neddys drawn the rails Bazz...

Matty told us the trials held there totally stuffed the ground by the rail...not to mention "inconsistent"...

Following the abandonment of Sunday’s meeting at Te Awamutu NZTR advises that the Waipa RC will bring forward planned remedial work on the track.

NZTR held extensive discussions with the club officials and the RIU, while the track, in particular the section where Gingee fell on Sunday, was also subject to inspection.  Both the raceday video and post-event inspection of the track were inconclusive as to whether the fall was due to track inconsistency.  

This was the fourth race meeting from past seven programmed at the Te Awamutu track to be abandoned and has resulted in the decision being made to bring forward the planned club-funded work originally scheduled for October.

While the track will be open for training purposes NZTR advises it will be closed for racing and alternative venues sought for the club’s scheduled trial and race dates.

A decision around a return to racing and trialling at Te Awamutu will be made by NZTR upon completion of work on the track and consultation with the NZ Trainers’ Association and NZ Jockeys’ Association.

You've just got to shake your head sometimes with these suits...

When the problem area is where the fall occurs...free of interference....

...and they conclude that it's "inconclusive' the inconsistency was too blame...

...can one conclude they have no idea on the surface of probabilities either??

Whoever decided on facing the stand to the Souff...was having a larf...Shirley?

But it looks as if the olde world doyen of Thoroughbred media...Mary Burgess

...NZTR's 'new' 'Corporate Communications and Media Advisor'...phew..is all over this...

...front footing the Ellis critique by issuing the communique 

Has anyone seen the lonnnnnng list of employees there lately?

simply eye watering

1 hour ago, Thomass said:

Whoever decided on facing the stand to the Souff...was having a larf...Shirley?

But it looks as if the olde world doyen of Thoroughbred media...Mary Burgess

...NZTR's 'new' 'Corporate Communications and Media Advisor'...phew..is all over this...

...front footing the Ellis critique by issuing the communique 

Has anyone seen the lonnnnnng list of employees there lately?

simply eye watering

With all the land that the TA club originally had the course could have been designed far better that is for sure.