Bit Of A Yarn

import fee

wally

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 12:40 PM, aquaman said:

Treble it, and then add 5000. Money collected to finance NZ bred only races.

If you stop say 40 imports coming into this country and people breed maybe 30 more litters because of this, ( just figures pulled out of the air ) do you think there will be more or less dogs needing to be re homed ?

• 4 weeks later...

Just in!, Blind Harry passed some new and interesting information on.

UPDATE - Import fee increase

In regards to the import fee change to $2000, the Board and Chief Executive have decided to defer this for 6 months and the current policy will remain. We have received significant feedback consisting of new, interesting and relevant information which has lead us to making this decision.  

Once GRNZ has more statistics we will revisit the import fee policy in early 2020.

AA

4 hours ago, aquaman said:

Weak mugs.

Why weak mugs ? If somebody once imported 2 dogs but decided to breed a litter of say 8 pups instead , which one puts more pressure on re homing ? I asked you a similar question before and got no answer .

Edited by fur que
wanted to add more

2 hours ago, fur que said:

Why weak mugs ? If somebody once imported 2 dogs but decided to breed a litter of say 8 pups instead , which one puts more pressure on re homing ? I asked you a similar question before and got no answer .

The 20 plus that were not good enough to sell to  nz .... 

1 hour ago, Honestly said:

You didn’t say it had anything to do or not to do with nz racing ... but if they do import it has everything to do with nz racing . 

That is my point , If a person breeds a litter instead of importing that will put more pressure on NZ re homing.

24 minutes ago, fur que said:

That is my point , If a person breeds a litter instead of importing that will put more pressure on NZ re homing.

If that's the argument, then they could end all breeding in NZ & import all greyhounds. Everyone seems to think imported dogs are so much better than domestic breeds.

With that, no rehoming pressures if we only import as many as can be rehomed.

Edited by Yankiwi

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:

If that's the argument, then they could end all breeding in NZ & import all greyhounds. Everyone seems to think imported dogs are so much better than domestic breeds.

With that, no rehoming pressures if we only import as many as can be rehomed.

I am saying there is room for both but the huge fee was not acceptable  . Just make it that a dog with a ticket can not be imported . Where would All Blacks be without imports ? As long as they are quality there should not be a problem . 

If NZ breeding numbers are not some how controlled, then there will never be enough retirement homes in NZ for greyhounds, imports or not.

It's been time tested that they wont restrict breeding numbers, so the plaster they were trying to put on the situation wasn't going to fix anything towards the biggest underlying problem, greyhound retirement.

I know I've been on & on about bringing dodgy dogs over. We don't need them under the current model as we are currently breeding more than enough of them on our own.

5 hours ago, fur que said:

I am saying there is room for both but the huge fee was not acceptable  . Just make it that a dog with a ticket can not be imported . Where would All Blacks be without imports ? As long as they are quality there should not be a problem . 

Slightly (way) off topic but I just wanted to pull you up, far que, on a common misconception.

Where would the AB's be without imports? Roughly the same place they are now I'm guessing because New Zealand (All Blacks) has one of the lowest rates of 'imports' in World Rugby.  By my count 3 of the 31 All Blacks named for the Rugby World Cup were born overseas. At the last World Cup 13 of 31 'Welsh' players were imports, Australia 9 of 31.

It's just a tired, ignorant, borderline racist view point that unless your name is Smith, Taylor, Barrett etc. you're an 'import'.

Give yourself an upper cut far que. OK, let you get back to Dog Chat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

If NZ breeding numbers are not some how controlled, then there will never be enough retirement homes in NZ for greyhounds, imports or not.

It's been time tested that they wont restrict breeding numbers, so the plaster they were trying to put on the situation wasn't going to fix anything towards the biggest underlying problem, greyhound retirement.

I know I've been on & on about bringing dodgy dogs over. We don't need them under the current model as we are currently breeding more than enough of them on our own.

I have been following the other two codes and their many commentators. Rehoming and welfare are high priority issues. In thoroughbreds, the breeding export dollar is keeping many trainer/breeders/owners a float. To remove that option would be suicidal. 

The GRNZ have no choice but to place restrictions on current levels of breeding under the new RITA regime and Mesara recommendations. They commited to do so. Imports are capped, the number imported each year is finite. Dodgy dogs seem to be your issue yet not once have you published the stats to prove that the percentage of imported offenders is greater than the percentage of NZ bred offenders. I would like to see those numbers. Legally I do not believe the GRNZ can prevent the importation of greys hence the increased import levy attempt rather than a ban. But, they could place an embargo on ticketed dogs.

There are those who believe imports should be banned because they take revenue away from locally breds. That thinking is flawed and negates the contribution imports make to NZ breeding. This industry is built on imports and imported semen, without them it simply would never have got of the ground. Protectionism is counter productive. The industry needs owners, and owners should have a level of choice.

It is not the finite number of imports that are causing the major issue here, it is the out of control level of local breeding. It is the saturation model that is at fault. Unless the out of control breeders are forced to pull their heads in, the future is bleak. Those that believe winning 10 out of 12 races from 600 dogs bred are idiots. From a welfare perspective those numbers are tragic. How many of those dogs will be rehomed? How many of those broods will make it to a couch? The GRNZ need to move on this, and move fast. By all means, ban the importation of ticketed dogs, but sort the local shit out first.

19 hours ago, fur que said:

Weak mugs because of backing down to pressure from self interested parties. Thank your lucky stars that I was not in charge. Under my model, all imports would be banned. Frozen semen would be banned, and only natural matings allowed. Bitches could be sent overseas to be mated but thats all. And believe it or not, NZ Greyhound racing would thrive under this model. I would limit each license to 20 dogs, and thats just for starters. Long term, the effect from this is that turnovers would grow domestically, and participation would grow by more people becoming involved. It would have zero effect on overseas turnover. So there's my answer fur que, just for you,

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

27 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Weak mugs because of backing down to pressure from self interested parties. Thank your lucky stars that I was not in charge. Under my model, all imports would be banned. Frozen semen would be banned, and only natural matings allowed. Bitches could be sent overseas to be mated but thats all. And believe it or not, NZ Greyhound racing would thrive under this model. I would limit each license to 20 dogs, and thats just for starters. Long term, the effect from this is that turnovers would grow domestically, and participation would grow by more people becoming involved. It would have zero effect on overseas turnover. So there's my answer fur que, just for you,

Totally agree with the limited licence model although I would set that max of 40. Also agree, most support Australian based sires which is hypocritical from those who wish to see imported race dogs banned.

21 hours ago, fur que said:

how many of those 8 pups are rehomed

15 hours ago, fur que said:

just make a dog with a ticket can not be imported well there goes 75% of imports

5 hours ago, aquaman said:

And in a few years time numbers would be drastically reduced , with 7 races in a meeting or the loss of a meeting or two . The number of breeders is not going to dramatically climb as there isn't the money out there . Nobody would send a bitch overseas to breed as cost incl straw and AI would be enormous . How would turnover increase domestically ?