Bit Of A Yarn

AB's Lineup

Huey

How interesting is this new AB lineup ahead of the Argie game?

Moli,Ioane,Jacobsen,Reece and Ennor all looking like they will get some game time.

I'm surprised that Fifata got a start on his form.

Should be a cracking game.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, curious said:

Long time big Crusaders fan but I kind of agree HS.

Just reminds me of a certain time when there were too many not so good Aucklanders in the All Blacks combined with a bunch of past it great players, after a lengthy reign as near unbeatable, just before a World Cup when they were hanging on for Victories.

NZ could well lose their first ever pool game at the World Cup and then face Ireland in the quarters. 

A repeat of 91 is imminent. 

The All Blacks are 'just' a team these days. Make no mistake about that. 

Get Liam Squire back playing as soon as possible if they can. It is a hollow forward pack without him and Retallick.

The wing is no place for Ben Smith. He is not hard enough hitting. Where did Ben Lam and Waisake go?

While Mo'unga is playing well enough, I think him, Savea, S Barrett and Coles come off the bench to create some form of impact.

Props? We can barely get 2 on the park good enough and I doubt Franks and Moody will last a World Cup.

And Nic White showed NZ's traditional achilles heel against a halfback who runs. They have been exposed in the past and it happened big time.

So, Yeah. England, we scrape past. Ireland, got beaten up. South Africa, a draw but they are on the rise. Australia, all over us, 14 or 15 on the field. Didn't Scotland nearly take us down last time we played? 

Nobody is afraid of this AB team and we should all know it.  The signs have been there for ages. 

• Like 1

4 games,1 draw,1 loss,2 wins only 1 of which has been All Blackesq.

Listened to the press conference after game with Hansen,Foster and co.

Couldn't believe the number of journalists asking soft questions so as to save their access to the All Blacks.

I win doesn't cover up some,imo,holes in the All Blacks.

Lets be honest,the Wallabies are a crap Rugby team and 1 win cannot plaster over their problems.

10 hours ago, Freda said:

Thoughts now?

If one takes the middle ground between those 2 performances, there is confidence and concern.

Reece is X factor, but I would like to see Reiko, in form (if that is possible), on the other winger as he is an X factor player too. Bridge is good but might fit the wing / fullback cover on the bench better than Jordie Barrett.

I still think the forwards will struggle to gain dominance against SA, Ireland, Wales and England in the heat of battle so Squire and Retallick are needed to start. Savea off the bench at the start of the second half. Props will remain an issue against the big boys too.

It was clear last night the ABs can't carry players past their physical prime as to win the world cup will require a controlled, yet fast tempo game that will suit the dry conditions of Japan. The Aussies will be suited by this too as they are garbage in the wet and always have been against NZ.

I still favour the South Africans. Great front row with Marx, Big second row, Pollard to steer the ship and pace out wide. I reckon it is their turn, regardless if they lose to NZ in pool play.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

good assessment HS ...i think Reece is the new star finisher for the World Cup, amazing speed, balance and athleticism. Hansen will be hoping like hell both Retallick and Squire are at their peak by quarter-final match, whoever we play. At least Read seems to be improving and the 'Beau'unga' experiment worked well at Eden Park. I'm a tad concerned about our front row ..inconsistent lately, and Coles needs to stay under the radar of the ref!

I fear the head knocks and Father Time have caught up with Ben From Accounts. Can they afford to take him, but not play him in the big games? His experience could be invaluable for the younger guys in midfield.

Hopefully what we learned agst Aus in Perth is that we can't afford to have a bad day in Japan against South Africa.

Edited by Weasel