Bit Of A Yarn

What goes into a Grass track?

Just reading about the Methven club news on HRNZ. Why did they need to conduct this maintenance?

image.thumb.png.4d7897d1da54cd7727a12bc1da9a3e5f.png

How much work goes into a grass track? Does it have to be maintained as much as a galloping track? Are there any specific requirements from HRNZ about how it should be for race day?

Or are the clubs just like the local farmer who believe throwing as much water on as possible and let nature do the rest is enough!

Asking out of interest.

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Just reading about the Methven club news on HRNZ. Why did they need to conduct this maintenance?

image.thumb.png.4d7897d1da54cd7727a12bc1da9a3e5f.png

How much work goes into a grass track? Does it have to be maintained as much as a galloping track? Are there any specific requirements from HRNZ about how it should be for race day?

Or are the clubs just like the local farmer who believe throwing as much water on as possible and let nature do the rest is enough!

Asking out of interest.

I would say that there was little difference between the management of a harness track vs a galloping track.  Both are subject to mechanical forces such as horses hooves, vehicles and tractors etc.  Over time the mono-cultural nature of the track and the combination of the mechanical forces the soil structure will break down i.e. become compacted and affect drainage and pasture root growth.  

To revitalise the soil structure the best practice is to introduce organic matter to the soil.  Temporary measures (i.e. Te Rapa) are to sand slit however over time you just keep adding more sand and pasture doesn't grow too well on a beach.  A good farmer will plough their pasture, fertilise, sow a sacrificial crop to introduce organic matter and resow on a rotational basis to maintain good drainage and grass growth.

Artificial type turf systems such as Strathayr combine plastic mesh components in the upper layer of the turf system to provide an artificial form of soil structure but even these tracks need major rejuvenation in the upper layers after 7 to 10 years of use.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Methven track would almost have work done on it every day. 

It's a pretty big undertaking and very variable when taking into consideration weather ie; too dry or too wet or even something as simple as how many horses have been going over it. 

Workouts and trials held by Mt Hutt Trotting Club last season saw more than 1,000 horses (probably closer to 1500) on the track during the season - which coupled with five race days, which this season stretches to six, means that there is plenty of work required to recover a surface post meeting and maintain it at a decent standard. 

Westview better placed than me to offer thoughts on work done on the stables bend but basically it's been a major issue with drainage for quite some time, also a direct lack of sunlight in some parts so work has been progressively done to try and improve that portion of the track. Work such as removing/stripping back trees which bordered and the bend and ultimately the work that was done at the completion of last season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Great!

Is it all voluntary?

There you go happy, you can wheel the new girlfriend out to Methven (if you can prise her away from the brodster) for a day out, park her in the shade, take your little spade and fork and get to work......... don't forget to p.m me and let me know if you manicure the track for a leaders bias or otherwise!

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

There you go happy, you can wheel the new girlfriend out to Methven (if you can prise her away from the brodster) for a day out, park her in the shade, take your little spade and fork and get to work......... don't forget to p.m me and let me know if you manicure the track for a leaders bias or otherwise!

Go for it Happy, I am overseas at the moment so it is a free for all!

She isn’t that hot anyway!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

It is working men's club day so dare not take her...she will be whisked off her feet and in the big tent before I know it!

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2