Bit Of A Yarn

Whanganui Shambles

Rockit

14 minutes ago, gambler said:

Bring out the pop and popcorn. Get ready for the biggest nzgra corruption story in history to unfold. Exciting. I got front row seat

Good luck to em. Hopefully him and his buddies can make it all happen. I'll give you a tip Paul. Lighten up say hello to the owners trainers and handlers. The most important aspect of success is integrity. 

1 hour ago, Rockit said:

Good luck to em. Hopefully him and his buddies can make it all happen. I'll give you a tip Paul. Lighten up say hello to the owners trainers and handlers. The most important aspect of success is integrity. 

Too true the reigning board are invisible........a cosy little group ...the penny will drop one day..they have been taken for mugs by you know who ?

• Like 1

Hi team

Let's get a few things straight here.

I know many of you keyboard warriors like to talk shit about Paul without even knowing him, but you need to get your facts straight before you go defaming people online. 

In regards to the comments about race fixing, etc, you all seriously need to stop playing this broken record. Yes dogs get scratched from races, but you do realise there is 6 days between nominating on a Tuesday and racing on a Monday, right? Dogs need to be worked in the days leading up to a race so they're fit enough to even compete. This means sometimes they get injured before a race. Would you rather we have a dog break down on the track, or scratch it? What's a better look for the industry? Distance dogs tend to require more work than sprinters, so it's no surprise minor injuries occur in the lead up to a race. We would never race a dog that is not 100% for the sake of trying to win money. Dogs come first. If that's race fixing to you, then I don't care. In regards to Fusion Cronulla, if you look at the stand down period she got 28 days, because she has come in season. If you don't believe me, you can hopefully expect to see her mating come up on the website in the coming weeks. The doping insinuated comments also need to stop. Have you ever seen Paul or Angela throw a positive swab? Exactly. Just because they win races does not mean they're cheating. Same for any trainer. Stop hating on other's for their success. That kind of negativity never helps anyone. 

The comment about racing dogs without a license is also very flawed. I'm sick of people claiming my mother is only a namesake trainer. Anyone who knows our family knows that my mother is out working on the dogs for all hours of the day. She is the trainer by name and by truth. Yes it is a joint effort, they work and care for the dogs together, but for crying out loud, give the woman the credit she deserves. You don't see her at the track because she is doing the hard yards at home. Paul puts countless hours into the Palmerston North club and the committees he is on, he wouldn't have time to be the sole trainer anyway. Yes you see him on tv, but that doesn't mean you know what's happening behind the scenes. 

That leads to the next point. To those who claim he does nothing for the industry - do you realise he was the person who countered the board on the import fee, instigated all the research, got support from other trainers and clubs, went to Wellington and argued the case on behalf of the 95% of people who were against it? And look what happened there. I know you are all going to say he only did it for personal gain. Yes, we get dogs from Australia and the fee would have affected us. But look at all the trainers who would be indirectly affected? Some of these ex Aussie dogs get sold, leased up north/south, bred from by others, etc. You might never have imported a dog from Australia, but that doesn't mean you've never trained/bred from one. The whole industry would have been greatly impacted and no one can deny that. So if you think he doesn't have the industry's best interests at heart, you are greatly mistaken. 

Those who think he is unapproachable have obviously never had the balls to actually approach him. He will always greet you and help with anything needed. Yes sometimes he might be busy, but that doesn't mean he's arrogant.

He has taken this role at Wanganui to try make a positive impact. Making improvements won't just impact our kennel, but everyone who chooses to race there. Look at how he turned the Palmy club around. That place was dead and buried and now it is now of the most successful, proactive clubs in the country. Don't we want success like that at all clubs? Any improvements to this industry should be welcomed by all, regardless of your view on the person initiating them. 

I never thought I'd go to the extent of creating an account to make this point. I understand people have their own views and that's fine, but I'm over seeing the nasty comments made about my family. About anyone for that fact. Stop talking shit about people you don't know. Discuss the real issues, promote the positive aspects of this industry, and make suggestions for what could be better. The industry, and the world for that fact, does not need people making disrespectful comments about others. There's too much hate and it's disgusting to read. Get over it. 

Kind regards,

Courtney Turnwald - a girl who is extremely proud to say she's the daughter of Paul Freeman and Angela Turnwald. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Four shaw said:

Too true the reigning board are invisible........a cosy little group ...the penny will drop one day..they have been taken for mugs by you know who ?

One  cant keep his pants up. The past  ceo left because of it and she can not keep her knickers on. One never turns up and is now the president. One other is just beyound talking point. Awesome wanganui 

44 minutes ago, Courtney said:

We would never race a dog that is not 100% for the sake of trying to win money. Dogs come first.

That's not what the JCA said about your father Courtney.

http://www.jca.org.nz/non-race-day-hearings/non-raceday-inquiry-riu-v-pb-freeman-decision-dated-8-january-2015

3.3 In assessing penalty in this case the starting point in our view is the nature of the culpability involved in the charge. Despite the submission that Mr Freeman’s actions “… could be perceived to be dishonest”, and the reservation implicit in that concession, we are quite clear that the backdating of the scratching was suggested to Ms Clark by Mr Freeman, and carried into effect by her, for a dishonest purpose. That was to preserve the opportunity for Gibbonator to run at the Christchurch meeting on 31 October 2014, an opportunity which, Mr Freeman clearly recognised was likely to be lost once the scratching was notified later than the preceding Friday. Whether Mr Freeman was motivated to act as he did because of the stakes on offer at the Christchurch meeting or not is perhaps a moot point given that Gibbonator had qualified to race in the Galaxy series in any event, as Mr Buchanan has pointed out, but the fact remains that in as much as the backdating of the scratching of Gibbonator preserved its opportunity to run in the Galaxy series it also at the same time preserved its opportunity to win the prize money on offer. We think it unlikely that Mr Freeman would have acted as he did simply to enable Gibbonator to run at the Christchurch meeting without regard to the stake money on offer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Another excerpt from the same finding.

1.7 As events transpired Mr Freeman took Gibbonator to Christchurch to race there on 31 October 2014 but scratched the dog following a further veterinary examination in which it was found the dog was still suffering pain in its right carpus. On this occasion the vet who examined the dog issued a ten day stand-down certificate. On his return from Christchurch Mr Freeman was interviewed about the scratching of Gibbonator from the race meeting at Palmerston North on 29 October. He was cooperative during the interview and admitted he had asked Ms Clark to backdate the scratching saying he was disappointed and embarrassed by his actions which he explained as having “pushed his luck”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Courtney said:

Hi team

Let's get a few things straight here.

I know many of you keyboard warriors like to talk shit about Paul without even knowing him, but you need to get your facts straight before you go defaming people online. 

In regards to the comments about race fixing, etc, you all seriously need to stop playing this broken record. Yes dogs get scratched from races, but you do realise there is 6 days between nominating on a Tuesday and racing on a Monday, right? Dogs need to be worked in the days leading up to a race so they're fit enough to even compete. This means sometimes they get injured before a race. Would you rather we have a dog break down on the track, or scratch it? What's a better look for the industry? Distance dogs tend to require more work than sprinters, so it's no surprise minor injuries occur in the lead up to a race. We would never race a dog that is not 100% for the sake of trying to win money. Dogs come first. If that's race fixing to you, then I don't care. In regards to Fusion Cronulla, if you look at the stand down period she got 28 days, because she has come in season. If you don't believe me, you can hopefully expect to see her mating come up on the website in the coming weeks. The doping insinuated comments also need to stop. Have you ever seen Paul or Angela throw a positive swab? Exactly. Just because they win races does not mean they're cheating. Same for any trainer. Stop hating on other's for their success. That kind of negativity never helps anyone. 

The comment about racing dogs without a license is also very flawed. I'm sick of people claiming my mother is only a namesake trainer. Anyone who knows our family knows that my mother is out working on the dogs for all hours of the day. She is the trainer by name and by truth. Yes it is a joint effort, they work and care for the dogs together, but for crying out loud, give the woman the credit she deserves. You don't see her at the track because she is doing the hard yards at home. Paul puts countless hours into the Palmerston North club and the committees he is on, he wouldn't have time to be the sole trainer anyway. Yes you see him on tv, but that doesn't mean you know what's happening behind the scenes. 

That leads to the next point. To those who claim he does nothing for the industry - do you realise he was the person who countered the board on the import fee, instigated all the research, got support from other trainers and clubs, went to Wellington and argued the case on behalf of the 95% of people who were against it? And look what happened there. I know you are all going to say he only did it for personal gain. Yes, we get dogs from Australia and the fee would have affected us. But look at all the trainers who would be indirectly affected? Some of these ex Aussie dogs get sold, leased up north/south, bred from by others, etc. You might never have imported a dog from Australia, but that doesn't mean you've never trained/bred from one. The whole industry would have been greatly impacted and no one can deny that. So if you think he doesn't have the industry's best interests at heart, you are greatly mistaken. 

Those who think he is unapproachable have obviously never had the balls to actually approach him. He will always greet you and help with anything needed. Yes sometimes he might be busy, but that doesn't mean he's arrogant.

He has taken this role at Wanganui to try make a positive impact. Making improvements won't just impact our kennel, but everyone who chooses to race there. Look at how he turned the Palmy club around. That place was dead and buried and now it is now of the most successful, proactive clubs in the country. Don't we want success like that at all clubs? Any improvements to this industry should be welcomed by all, regardless of your view on the person initiating them. 

I never thought I'd go to the extent of creating an account to make this point. I understand people have their own views and that's fine, but I'm over seeing the nasty comments made about my family. About anyone for that fact. Stop talking shit about people you don't know. Discuss the real issues, promote the positive aspects of this industry, and make suggestions for what could be better. The industry, and the world for that fact, does not need people making disrespectful comments about others. There's too much hate and it's disgusting to read. Get over it. 

Kind regards,

Courtney Turnwald - a girl who is extremely proud to say she's the daughter of Paul Freeman and Angela Turnwald. 

Well done for posting Courtney. Well posted on your behalf. Firstly I find Paul very rude unapproachable and all about himself as a trainer/handler. He holds grudges to trainers and handlers. He is no perfect man, if he was he would have a greyhound trainer licence and nothing to hide behind the amazing woman doing all the work l personally find you yourself a very oppiniated and rude person when you are at the track. Hopefully Paul can help wanganui and the industry and NOT Just himself! 

• Like 1

Great post Courtney. Firstly I would like to say Paul and his team have down a fantastic job at the Palmy club and my trainer has nothing but praise for the work they have put in, and the benefits returned to their members. For the membership fee you get free no hassle trials, free lunch once a month, a team that works hard to promote greyhound racing both locally and nationally. A team that acts quickly to remedy issues as they arise. Governance that listens to member concerns, makes changes when necessary and possible, then reports back. A team that keeps members informed on all fronts, holds meetings on race days to get member feedback and approval for nearly all new proposals. No issues with transparency. A team that manage staff well. On the flipside, Wanganui's recent report card was scathing. A governance review order, hahaha, nothing to be proud of there. The list of complaints flowed faster than Huka Falls. Any change has to be better than the litigation prone, one-eyed cowboys presently running the show. Today's fiasco just one of a sad series, every episode avoidable.

Paul and Angela work as a team sharing the load. That's what partners do. To insinuate she is a pseudo trainer is a joke especially given Wanganui's alignment with a trainer who truly is. Good luck to you Paul, if you are working with the existing board you will need it. Might also need a sharp pair of scissors to cut the puppets strings in order to move forward in a timely manner. And best wishes to you Courtney, your post was well written and thought through.

On 10/2/2019 at 8:17 PM, Four shaw said:

To make my statement clear b .cole has been taking the mugs for a ride an driving wanganui .....TRUE ???

50 minutes ago, fur que said:

Proof would be good to see ?? And not assumptions and opinion .

The recent governance review would probably support Four Shaw's point of view. The purchase of buckets so that "he who is warned off" can pick up after his dogs on roadside is a good example of going that extra mile don't you think? Hopefully with the right guidance the situation can be remedied. The deeply divided membership would appreciate the help.

• Like 1

On reflection and thinking I think Paul could bring this club in order and progress. Get rid of playing games on computer by secretary. Bring some decorum to club. Don't sucumb to the Colleen briders and other nonies trying to grease up to you. Good luck Paul

4 minutes ago, Mehe said:

Haha you so right gambler that bloody brider is such a fa king stirrer it's not funny and up coles arse 

????? What has Brider got to do with the board dayzes me! She's just another handler like many other people and all with rights. Who plays computer games? What secretary? Who's the most efficient secretary around with fields and scratchings? The issues at wanganui aren't in the office people's department!! It's the people around them.