Bit Of A Yarn

Melody Belle Trackwork at Flemington 29 October 2019

Chief Stipe

21 minutes ago, mardigras said:

I think the Brit handicappers are pretty good. Don't think they're doing a lot wrong there except for allowances - which are not required. NZ and Australia could learn massively from them. Such as one win horses being rated very highly based on performance. Or the ability to re-rate a horse when it hasn't even started since the last time they rated it.

As for generic weight scales - that is exactly what they are. And have zero relationship with an individual horse. Horses don't all mature at the same rate. But you think they do. Odd.

I think you called them "clueless" when they changed...

I could have sworn I saw one win TWINKLING being rated "highly" after his Derby 2nd...

...the connections complaining...then rubber stamping the form recently...

...and btw that "ability" is in our Handicapper's brief...not surprising really seeing as we arrived from the 'Motherland' and inherited their love of Thoroughbreds...

Wow it is "odd"...you mean they're not all born on Aug 1? Who'd have thought?

32 minutes ago, FeelTheFear said:

coward can't respond to me it looks like. I don't lock myself in any room, unlike you in your residential home for the bewildered. I was entering data way before I got to know the fine gentlemen you try to malign but fail big time. Try pulling your head out of your arse and getting a life...a real life, not a made up one. I know your type, helped many of them over many years in my line of work. Some changed their lives, some didn't. That is life. Anyway, I only came back here to defend my reputation (a very good one too by all accounts) so au revoir and good luck with your self development (1000-1 against). 

Pfffft..."fine gentlemen" like Barry who encouraged me to suicide...rubber stamped by Hesi....grasi calling me a "low life scum" when I suggested Blinkers work?

get a grip son...

• Haha 1

I didn't call you a low life scum for suggesting blinkers worked.

I called you a low life scum for being a fraud and pretending to be something you aren't. A pretty reasonable description of such a person as that. So very befitting as a description of you.

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 2

Yes and you called me a "sulker" for not posting after that suicide proposal...

Get this into your head...Im a professional punter who makes a living solely on NZ Racing...

You're entitled to think what you think though...I don't care...

But all of the above is totally out of proportion to ANY argument...

11 minutes ago, Thomass said:

I think you called them "clueless" when they changed...

I could have sworn I saw one win TWINKLING being rated "highly" after his Derby 2nd...

...the connections complaining...then rubber stamping the form recently...

...and btw that "ability" is in our Handicapper's brief...not surprising really seeing as we arrived from the 'Motherland' and inherited their love of Thoroughbreds...

Wow it is "odd"...you mean they're not all born on Aug 1? Who'd have thought?

If they changed to use allowances, then yep, they are clueless on that. Allowances are unnecessary in any jurisdiction when used for handicap racing. Pretty easy to understand why they are unnecessary - but you can't.

For nearly all maiden winners in NZ, they move the horse to nearly identical points as all the other maiden winners. Awesome. Most handicapping here is done by direct formula. NZ does nothing in relation to handicapping that UK does - except for supporting the use of allowances. To suggest they are even close, shows how out of touch you are. Perhaps you can give us an example of a horse winning a R65 and getting zero points? Many horses will win lower class races in the UK, and get no points. And just race off the same mark again.

As for Odd, no, not in any way related to the date of birth. That animals do not mature at the same rate. Just like humans don't. You'd have to be pretty thick to think they do. But you apply '3yo after Christmas' because you think that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mardigras said:

it can't be improved by 3yo after Christmas either

? back in a day! it was very helpful to know know whom Mr Eales thought would improve with maturity... he thought a horse was at its best for about two weeks each campaign ... it would make interesting reading his stats around "did they improve with age... my intuitive answer would be yes! which  contradicts the  research Curious posted!???

Talking about my betting/horse logic!  How i framed my bet on Loire,  was based around  hoping that she going show improvement by just getting that much more mature! hence, I had two pre bets on her!  After each Hastings run! a very rare event! (I do pre bet mlb and nfl)  I didn't bet into the Ak3yerFillyrace,  it was a must watch race for me! and I then backed her on the day! base on,  the  second she was shown on the telly!  My eye went Yes!  Didn't care about the 'gear', she when down and look ready to run at the barrier!  I backed her three times from then! quite a surreal event! a couple of near neighbours were there to enjoy it as well!!!!  lol! the 'mean tight one missed out on a wager! which was a musing to see!!! Which I could say it will be easy to repeat! :)

4 hours ago, All The Aces said:

including several Kiwis watching every race

i think i might have known a couple of them... I recall also things like jumping out of windows! and driving into brick walls at speed!

the paradox for me! lol finally! I can ground a profit out! and am still improving at seeing the horses I need to be backing! but I ponder is it worth the Stress and mental energy to be doing so  at my age!  My partner doesn't mind at all the races being on.... I have no real need for getting a $ this way!  especially when it seems I will always be pissed off with the way the film race day in nz... I'm really enjoying muting the sound now! :)  
hey, did you see there is energy for some sort of awapuni reunion next june! 'the golden years' :)

21 minutes ago, Murray Fish said:

? back in a day! it was very helpful to know know whom Mr Eales thought would improve with maturity... he thought a horse was at its best for about two weeks each campaign ... it would make interesting reading his stats around "did they improve with age... my intuitive answer would be yes! which  contradicts the  research Curious posted!???

No, the research I posted suggested they DID improve with age MF.

1 hour ago, Murray Fish said:

i think i might have known a couple of them... I recall also things like jumping out of windows! and driving into brick walls at speed!

the paradox for me! lol finally! I can ground a profit out! and am still improving at seeing the horses I need to be backing! but I ponder is it worth the Stress and mental energy to be doing so  at my age!  My partner doesn't mind at all the races being on.... I have no real need for getting a $ this way!  especially when it seems I will always be pissed off with the way the film race day in nz... I'm really enjoying muting the sound now! :)  
hey, did you see there is energy for some sort of awapuni reunion next june! 'the golden years' :)

I'm in the Bay Murray.  Burridge and Lange haven't mentioned anything about it. Will let them know ? 

15 hours ago, FeelTheFear said:

I know your type, helped many of them over many years in my line of work. Some changed their lives, some didn't. That is life.

Ditto. If he behaves like this elsewhere in life I'm surprised he hasn't been sectioned under the MHA. Then again, maybe he has and they let him out now and then.

Edited by curious

4 hours ago, curious said:

Ditto. If he behaves like this elsewhere in life I'm surprised he hasn't been sectioned under the MHA. Then again, maybe he has and they let him out now and then.

Look I'm really sorry I pointed out how ridiculous your "2yo form is their peak" stuff...

That deffy should be cause for sanctioning...

The background to all of this is when there was a post on Kotare Chief...I said "I hate to put a dampener on this but KC tested positive after that Cup"

Bazz then said I should dampen my head with petrol...in other words suicide...then hardened even further when I complained..

So excuse me for taking umbridge at that then mate...

A number including Pete then said I was a "wallflower, a sulker...". Hesi decided he didn't want to find Barry's post...it was up to me to go back through them...

So something against the law...turns into you wanting me sanctioned...

So you're a piece of shit

3 hours ago, Thomass said:

The background to all of this is when there was a post on Kotare Chief...I said "I hate to put a dampener on this but KC tested positive after that Cup"

Bazz then said I should dampen my head with petrol...in other words suicide...then hardened even further when I complained..

So excuse me for taking umbridge at that then mate...

A number including Pete then said I was a "wallflower, a sulker...". Hesi decided he didn't want to find Barry's post...it was up to me to go back through them...

So something against the law...turns into you wanting me sanctioned...

So you're a piece of shit

What the hell does any of that have to do with me? More evidence that you should be sectioned I said (not merely sanctioned). How are the remedial reading classes going?

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mardigras said:

As for Odd, no, not in any way related to the date of birth. That animals do not mature at the same rate. Just like humans don't. You'd have to be pretty thick to think they do. But you apply '3yo after Christmas' because you think that.

I'm terribly sorry you don't get 'Irony'...

Perhaps they could individually dish out 3yo allowances coinciding with their birth dates...

...but that would be ridiculous 

Just like saying 3yo's won't get stronger and more competitive agin older horses...

...as the season progresses

6 minutes ago, Thomass said:

I'm terribly sorry you don't get 'Irony'...

Perhaps they could individually dish out 3yo allowances coinciding with their birth dates...

...but that would be ridiculous 

Just like saying 3yo's won't get stronger and more competitive agin older horses...

...as the season progresses

Give up. Not all 3yos 'get stronger and more competitive agin older horses'. And those that do, you don't know at which point any change has happened. You just apply a generic rule that says, they will be doing so after Christmas and beyond. And you still can't work out that 'generic' rules are flawed.

Run off with your tail between your legs. You don't bring anything to the discussion except the same crap.

Edited by mardigras

I think any 'horseman' or Industry participant would take it as read that I didn't mean 'ALL'....

Thatd be like saying ALL 2yo's have their peak performance at 2...and that'd be barmy army...

...actually my bad....make that February...that's when the next 3 month reduced 3yo allowance agin older neddys kicks in...

The Handicapping Philosphy here must agree 3yo's en masse...get stronger as the season progresses...

...but that's the system...and Obviuosly not ALL will...

...back to your hole troll

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Thomass said:

I think any 'horseman' or Industry participant would take it as read that I didn't mean 'ALL'....

Thatd be like saying ALL 2yo's have their peak performance at 2...and that'd be barmy army...

...actually my bad....make that February...that's when the next 3 month reduced 3yo allowance agin older neddys kicks in...

The Handicapping Philosphy here must agree 3yo's en masse...get stronger as the season progresses...

...but that's the system...and Obviuosly not ALL will...

...back to your hole troll

You've tried doing this to death. You're simply not learning. Your blue print has no notion of anything except 'ALL'. 

There is no criteria in your blue print as to which will follow the 'rules' and which won't. Every single horse that races will be assessed by a punter somewhere as being a horse they want to back - and then they could look to apply your blueprint. Making every horse a potential candidate to be assessed in combination with that blueprint. That means 'ALL'.

Tell us which '3yos after Christmas' the rule applies to? The ones that win I'm guessing. Just like all the other 'rules'.

• Like 1

As you well know it was very minor statement I'd made...along with Blinkers helping some horses..

...that 3yo's agin older horses are more competitive...essentially as the season progresses...

...being a molehill into a mountain purveyor you grabbed this with your massively tight grip and delt to this minor statement with the sword of Damocles....

Keep gripping...