Bit Of A Yarn

k barclay whip charge.

the galah

Ive just watched Barclays drive on swanp major in race 8 at wyndham.She is defending an excessive whip use charge. Is slapping with the reins deemed excessive now?  How is her drive any different than the 2nd and 3rd placed horses? If she had  just let the horse ease up would that have been ok?

Charging her seems all a bit over the top to me.

• Like 2

That charge is ridiculous. She hit the horse 4 times about half way down the straight, and then if you add another 4 times that looked ok but giving the stipes the benefit of the doubt then the total strikes is 8. Still 2 to go but she didn't thrash the horse for the sake of it. If she had just sat instead of urging with the reins they would have charged her with not driving the horse out. This rule is ludicrous and just pandering like wimps to the do-gooders who know nothing about racing and hate to see people enjoying themselves because they have miserable little lives.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

46 minutes ago, the galah said:

Ive just watched Barclays drive on swanp major in race 8 at wyndham.She is defending an excessive whip use charge. Is slapping with the reins deemed excessive now?  How is her drive any different than the 2nd and 3rd placed horses? If she had  just let the horse ease up would that have been ok?

Charging her seems all a bit over the top to me.

I watched it a few times.

I am not even sure she was actually hitting the horse, more as you say slapping the reins and the whip at the same time. There was no wind up like some do. Did she even hit the horse?

I would call that a vigorous drive but seems harmless at the same time. 

I am glad she is standing up for herself. Funny thing is, another driver gets a $300 fine for not driving his horse out and she may go for much more for attempting to get the best out of her horse in a reasonable manner.

• Like 4

I backed the 2nd placed runner and have now gone back and watched the replay a couple of times. No complaints from me on this occasion. Her horse was running outta gas pretty quickly and would have slept well last night. But jesus she never thrashed the horse and her hands hardly moved in the whip/rein flick action that she demonstrated. 

I hope K Barclay is successful in defending the charge. 

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 3