Bit Of A Yarn

Bouquet to NZ harness Bookies!

Brodie

Great to see the harness Bookmakers over the last few weeks, bringing out the harness Fixed Odds far earlier than 5.30pm the day before the meeting!

It just makes sense to be bringing the odds out as early as they can to enable punters to have more time to invest if they wish to!

Bringing them out at 5.30 or 6.0 pm can make it a bit difficult to get on if you have a 9 to 5 type job with a family and a wife perhaps.

At least in the afternoon they can get on before they leave work.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Great to see the harness Bookmakers over the last few weeks, bringing out the harness Fixed Odds far earlier than 5.30pm the day before the meeting!

It just makes sense to be bringing the odds out as early as they can to enable punters to have more time to invest if they wish to!

Bringing them out at 5.30 or 6.0 pm can make it a bit difficult to get on if you have a 9 to 5 type job with a family and a wife perhaps.

At least in the afternoon they can get on before they leave work.

You are definitely `on the money there Brodster!

It's good having the odds out earlier, it can generate some interest.

But the odds-setters (sorry I can't bring myself round to calling them bookies) often have the markets at ridiculous percentages, and more often than not it is actually better to wait closer to race start time. Unless of course the odds-setters have "missed" one. 

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

From my observations, most kiwis that have a typical office based job, working 9-5 have it easy to get their bets on, anytime at all (if they have internet betting available on their computers/cell phone).

It's the stay at home mums/dads with wee ones running round the show I feel sorry for. Lucky just to even see a bloody race sometimes! Let alone get a bet on. Working for families, Children's commisioner, child youth and family, and every other government agency, really need to offer more support to the stay at home parents, so they can bet with confidence and in a bit of peace and quiet. Should be an election issue. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rusty said:

It's the stay at home mums/dads with wee ones running round the show I feel sorry for. Lucky just to even see a bloody race sometimes! Let alone get a bet on. Working for families, Children's commisioner, child youth and family, and every other government agency, really need to offer more support to the stay at home parents, so they can bet with confidence and in a bit of peace and quiet. Should be an election issue. 

get the brodster to have a word to big gerry when he hands over his significant contribution

Actually I probably shouldn't have said anything about the kids running around and the parents not being able to watch and/or invest in a race.... 

The do-gooders will quickly point out to me there is a problem in society, that pops up all too often, of kids being left in the car, whilst mum and/or dad are in playing the pokies or whatever. Clearly that is not acceptable. The parents could at least take the kids in with them and teach them how to count cards at the tables or something instead. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I have been betting more on tote than I have ever before.

Ditto. I'd be fairly certain we wouldn't be the only ones either. The final field odds are absolutely sh!t sometimes, especially the place odds. And even moreso when they run the first four payout promo. Cut the odds to buggery, but can occasionally still be worth a crack. 

• Like 1