Bit Of A Yarn

No more than 500 people gathering

How will this rule affect race days here? I know measures have been taken in Australia to limit the public and owners at race meetings with only personnel that have to be there allowed on course. Why has grnz failed to advise anyone here? 

Starting immediately, my industry has started forcing us to work from home with no office contact and I know of several other big companies and industries taking similar precautions. Why are grnz always behind the curb?

Edited by BitofaLegend

3 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

How will this rule affect race days here? I know measures have been taken in Australia to limit the public and owners at race meetings with only personnel that have to be there allowed on course. Why has grnz failed to advise anyone here? 

Starting immediately, my industry has started forcing us to work from home with no office contact and I know of several other big companies and industries taking similar precautions. Why are grnz always behind the curb?

Luckily I have never seen 500 people at our tracks, so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem at least you can watch at home. I'm sure us trainers with be working with our dogs as normal as we always had to even if we are ill. Hopefully we won't get shut down like the rest of the world

31 minutes ago, Sickof it said:

Luckily I have never seen 500 people at our tracks, so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem at least you can watch at home. I'm sure us trainers with be working with our dogs as normal as we always had to even if we are ill. Hopefully we won't get shut down like the rest of the world

Idk why greyhound racing would be exempt when other industries are not. Itd be stupid for grnz to ignore ministry expectations. Especially if someone did get this illness at the track. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen

3 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

I too don't work in the industry. Advisories are coming thick and fast from my employer and all other businesses I am in contact with. Yesterday I received 5 covid related emails. One from "Z", 4 from suppliers. Two suppliers have shut their stores with product now only available via online order, no pick ups. There will be more advisories to follow. Surprised GRNZ have not at least issued a hygiene and conduct advisory, clubs not supplying hand sanitisers on track. There will be a loss of industry income should the pandemic persist. Three friends, two retired nurses and a doctor have received standby recall notices.

• Like 1

Yes. I know of 3 big companies based in NZ that all spent last week working from home, testing their capacity to be able to function without going into offices at a corporate and where possible, operational level. All 3 of these companies employ 500+ people around the country with 2 having well over a 1000. We have also been directed by government agencies to limit our interactions with people as much as possible and as a result, our lead in health and safety has directed us to work from home.

I also know grv and nsw have both taken considerable steps to limit people entering race courses in Australia and to ensure staff and trainers safety as much as they possible are able to.

Seems silly to me that from what I've heard, no clubs in NZ have looked to even minimise peoples chances of getting sick with available alcohol based hand sanitizers and tried to limit human interaction between the public, trainers and staff as much as possible. Even more silly that grnz have not acted upon any of the advice or reports we've received thus far (yet they have stopped imports from Australia because of greyhound 'coronavirus' which from what I've heard, is nothing more than a normal bug)

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Jacob said:

Even more silly that grnz have not acted upon any of the advice or reports we've received thus far (yet they have stopped imports from Australia because of greyhound 'coronavirus' which from what I've heard, is nothing more than a normal bug)

Totally agree. Corona in dogs is NOT life threatening just another run of the mill gastro which WILL enter the country if not already here. There are no travel restrictions in place for dogs entering NZ from Australia and no quarantine is required. The ban on greyhound imports imposed by the GRNZ is laugable. All that was required was a pre travel test. In contrast, a virus that has the potential for devastation and death is met with silence.

Email just in from a supplier. Thought it was a great example.

"If you have a query about the status of your order, we kindly ask that you try xxxxxxx and xxxxxxx first, so that our team are able to prioritise those customers who require extra support and advice at this time. Thanks so much for your patience and understanding.

We’re doing our utmost to keep key products in stock right now. Some supply issues are unfortunately beyond our control. Apologies if you can’t get what you’re after. Please click ’notify me’ on the product page on our website and we’ll let you know when that product is back in stock. We’re also working on updating our site when a product is out at the supplier and may not be available for some time, so you can look at other options.

Along with following Ministry of Health recommendations, we’re also providing our team with extra Vitamin C and olive leaf to support their immunity and that of their whānau.

While being real about the risks, we’re collectively doing our best to stay positive (which may itself support immunity). Let’s do everything we sensibly can to keep ourselves and others safe and well, while avoiding seeing our fellow humans as sources of potential contagion to protect ourselves against. This current health crisis reminds us that individual and collective wellbeing are always mutually dependent."

4 hours ago, Jacob said:

Yes. I know of 3 big companies based in NZ that all spent last week working from home, testing their capacity to be able to function without going into offices at a corporate and where possible, operational level. All 3 of these companies employ 500+ people around the country with 2 having well over a 1000. We have also been directed by government agencies to limit our interactions with people as much as possible and as a result, our lead in health and safety has directed us to work from home.

I also know grv and nsw have both taken considerable steps to limit people entering race courses in Australia and to ensure staff and trainers safety as much as they possible are able to.

Seems silly to me that from what I've heard, no clubs in NZ have looked to even minimise peoples chances of getting sick with available alcohol based hand sanitizers and tried to limit human interaction between the public, trainers and staff as much as possible. Even more silly that grnz have not acted upon any of the advice or reports we've received thus far (yet they have stopped imports from Australia because of greyhound 'coronavirus' which from what I've heard, is nothing more than a normal bug)

Hand sanitizer does very little in respect of stopping the transferring of the virus.

What it does is puts a barrier on your hands but the bugs will sit on top of the barrier and then you touch your mouth with the virus so despite you thinking you are helping, it doesn’t really do anything!

Not saying don’t do it as the experts say to but think about it?

• Like 1

If GRNZ dont do something they will be in a worse spot than Aussie, they will have to deal with the dog strain and the human strain, and Jacinda will have no hesitation in closing it down.  

They dont even have to invent anything, just copy whats already in place in Aussie. Its not hard. And Aussie will have enough money to look after the trainers who dont have any income, whats NZ going to do??

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, racinggreys said:

If GRNZ dont do something they will be in a worse spot than Aussie, they will have to deal with the dog strain and the human strain, and Jacinda will have no hesitation in closing it down.  

They dont even have to invent anything, just copy whats already in place in Aussie. Its not hard. And Aussie will have enough money to look after the trainers who dont have any income, whats NZ going to do??

Human safety should be the #1 priority. This is a good call made in that regard. It's not like the tracks are full of people anyway. Most people that punt on the dogs wouldn't go to the track.

Dont get me wrong though. It will be a tough year for everyone across the board

Edited by Jacob
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sickof it said:

I would question whether there's even 500 people watching a Wednesday meeting at Whanganui on the TV!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With all the new travelling restrictions being put in place and now all non-essential travel and meeting being put on hold, how will this effect the industry? I see ferrys between the north and south are closed to passengers now and similar things are happening in Aus with borders being shut. Surely its only a matter of time 

1 hour ago, BitofaLegend said:

Guess there will be no racing for the next 4 weeks starting tomorrow as the way I see it, racing is most certainly NOT an essential service or utility. Surely the strain this will put on some of the bigger trainers will be huge. Imagine having 2 or 300 plus dogs and pups

Closed for business as of tomorrow.................

https://www.grnz.co.nz/News/2503/GRNZ-notice-about-Racing-Shutdown

Edited by racinggreys

2 hours ago, BitofaLegend said:

Guess there will be no racing for the next 4 weeks starting tomorrow as the way I see it, racing is most certainly NOT an essential service or utility. Surely the strain this will put on some of the bigger trainers will be huge. Imagine having 2 or 300 plus dogs and pups

I have absolutely no sympathy for the greed monsters, NONE AT ALL! Take a look at the Palmy results. A handful of cheques went to non Cole dogs. Most CD trainers will have their backs to the wall by the end of the week. He is always telling everyone he's a millionaire, he'll be right Jack. The rest will be in terror wondering how they are going to feed their dogs. And he couldn't give a proverbial. He will be the first in line for a hand out I kid you not!

Cockyaleg,  Agree, no sympathy for the Greedy,  but spare a thought for the greyhounds that will be silently disposed of .?  The struggling caring, Owner/ trainers will try to keep their dogs well kept and loved,  but like Jacinda said today at Level 3  "We need to go Hard and Fast"     That's a COLE/RENDLE quote if I ever heard one..!!!!         Strange isn't it that ,  the once, fat boy, CHEAT, will be smiling because his possible demise for killing animals Court  Hearing will be once again deferred . Surely Hannan you will come up with a plan to help the decent people in the sport , You Incompetent fake  Arsehole...

Maybe it time for the TAB to offer up some virtual greyhound racing?

• Any dog that has a rabbits (or poodles) foot hanging off its collar goes off at 1:1
  • Any dog that doesn't have hair on its rear thighs goes off at 2:1
  • Any dog that doesn't have a rabbits foot or does have hair on its thighs goes off at 40:1
  • Any dog that is lead out by it's actual owner or trainer goes off at 100:1

Punters without a keen eye probably wouldn't even notice the difference.

16 hours ago, Clarkie said:

Cockyaleg,  Agree, no sympathy for the Greedy,  but spare a thought for the greyhounds that will be silently disposed of .?  The struggling caring, Owner/ trainers will try to keep their dogs well kept and loved,  but like Jacinda said today at Level 3  "We need to go Hard and Fast"     That's a COLE/RENDLE quote if I ever heard one..!!!!         Strange isn't it that ,  the once, fat boy, CHEAT, will be smiling because his possible demise for killing animals Court  Hearing will be once again deferred . Surely Hannan you will come up with a plan to help the decent people in the sport , You Incompetent fake  Arsehole...

I wouldn't think he'd be smiling with 4 weeks without income. I know how much money we used to have to make a week with 40 dogs. He has 3 or 400. Id imagine his overheads would be extremely high and not having income for 4 weeks would put a lot of strain on anyone.

The entire industry would be struggling Id gather without 4 weeks income and I doubt most within the industry would qualify for the governments subsidy package and even those that do, Id be surprised if its enough to cover even basic operational costs for the dogs let alone themselves and their families. Id like to think trainers will come together, put their internal squabbles aside and help each other out over the coming month (Which could very easily be longer)

Edited by Jacob