Bit Of A Yarn

Old racebooks...

Rusty

We can't study any current racebooks or form guides for the NZ trots at the moment, so I thought I would post some pics of old racebooks... they may generate a bit of interest and memories (good and bad?!)...

If anybody else has got any to share, post them on here, be good to see. 

This one is from 21 February 1997.

Christian Cullen's 3rd race day start, finishing 8th. 

Screenshot_20200416-183233_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-183247_Gallery.jpg

• Champ Post 2

they all got burnt with my picks rusty, but had a collection of the trot guide on mail order, and being rural only get it friday morning with the Friday flash, and anyone who thinks the whale is full of shit, is full of shit!! the best, and steve mcghee could pick southland harness racing like his nose, even though he was a gallops man. jaime searle stocking shelves at pak`n`save but yeah not so much! keep posting the memories brother!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whiplash smile said:

they all got burnt with my picks rusty, but had a collection of the trot guide on mail order, and being rural only get it friday morning with the Friday flash, and anyone who thinks the whale is full of shit, is full of shit!! the best, and steve mcghee could pick southland harness racing like his nose, even though he was a gallops man. jaime searle stocking shelves at pak`n`save but yeah not so much! keep posting the memories brother!

yep would have gone for the sokys atom aswell!! lol

18 minutes ago, whiplash smile said:

they all got burnt with my picks rusty,

Haha that brings back the memories... I remember years ago, way back in the day, when I was a young whipper snapper, after any unsuccessful race meeting, my grandad would say: 

"Burn it... get rid of it!" - in reference to throwing the racing page with our picks on them, straight into the open fire. Good times. Learnt from a young age, to turn the page, and chase ya losses the following day! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, whiplash smile said:

one of the most underestimated horses of all time! has to be, loved that horse!!!

Dead right... and looking back on it, I was probably one of the underestimaters (if that's a word) at the time.

Wasn't until after her retirement, one looks back and realizes just how good she was. 

• Like 1

Check out this field for the '94 Cup...

A bit of coin won between the 4 horses at the bottom of the book... 

Bee Bee Cee won it, with Master Musician second. How the hell Matthew Lee (number 2) ran third in this line up, I'll never know. 

20200416_211304.jpg

20200416_211332.jpg

lol, that was tvnz and I remember it being broadcast on tv during a solo dpb mother and offspring party on tuesday benefit day and they all backed it for the name! lol master drive by jimmy curtin and the calverts(deserving owners), did it win the gree for all aswell? and was in the miracle mile aswell? win?  looking back you would have to have the last 4, nowadays ratbag hits the front and well you know!! cried when seen chokin died on the news , still ags fav to this day! good mems rusty!

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

This is dedication... 

20200419_153821.jpg

have you ever seen that gallop race in france, I think it was , it was posted on another place, if you havent Im sure someone here will post a link!   horses running in multiple directions! , we need a laugh right  now! and if you havent seen it you will laugh afer the shock!!

Crickey I've got a reefton jockey club book from 27 September 1947, a photo of majesty on the front cover, also January 47 with kindergarten, on the cover, afternoon tea under the auspices of the reefton catholic parishioners association, the good old days, even had a few trot races, have to dig deep in my box of tricks to find some of the harness variety.Keep you posted.

1958 nz metropolitan trotting club, Easter meetings book price 1 shilling, races such as Reta Peter handicap won by the top buller trotter Durban Chief, who won 2 dominions, nz trotting stakes won by Au Fait trained by D G Nyhan, also featured the woolson brass band conducted by Mr D S Christensen, also the 1961 inter dominion championships day 4, featuring nz welcome stakes, hambletonian, and the grand final, won by Massacre trained by DJ Cambell from ashburton.

29 minutes ago, Shad said:

1958 nz metropolitan trotting club, Easter meetings book price 1 shilling, races such as Reta Peter handicap won by the top buller trotter Durban Chief, who won 2 dominions, nz trotting stakes won by Au Fait trained by D G Nyhan, also featured the woolson brass band conducted by Mr D S Christensen, also the 1961 inter dominion championships day 4, featuring nz welcome stakes, hambletonian, and the grand final, won by Massacre trained by DJ Cambell from ashburton.

skellerup woolston brass band in years to come

world class outfit

Edited by Rangatira
  • Champ Post 1