Bit Of A Yarn

Claiming Races

Happy Sunrise

38 minutes ago, eljay said:

Not enough support to have claimers only races - claimers still entered in some races like a condition and race against non-claimers.

It used to be heralded as a saviour for battling horses didn't it?

Obviously not worth persisting with as a concept as no one sees it as a viable. 

Claiming races may be more a viable option shortly, when racing resumes... with some owners wanting out.

Admittedly the demand may not be there, but most horses have their price, and until the market is tested, the demand can't truely be measured.

This is where HRNZ in conjunction with the selected clubs to commence racing next month, should be contacting trainers and owners, and being receptive and forward thinking. 

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

I think too many owners "loved" their horses and didn't want to part with them so when the trainer managed to get one as a claimer the asking price was usually way too high.      Also the handcapping system didn't treat them too kindly anyway I understand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eljay said:

I think too many owners "loved" their horses and didn't want to part with them so when the trainer managed to get one as a claimer the asking price was usually way too high.      Also the handcapping system didn't treat them too kindly anyway I understand.

Completely agree some of the claiming prices were ridiculous! Noone was willing to pay 10k for a horse that is racing around in claiming races

• Like 2

The name escapes me at the mo, but there was a horse that was running around in Auckland, around 2009/10 or 2010/11 and it seemed like it was being claimed every week or so (slight exaggeration). It won a stack of races however and had just about been stabled with every trainer in the region. 

2 hours ago, Roman said:

Completely agree some of the claiming prices were ridiculous! Noone was willing to pay 10k for a horse that is racing around in claiming races

A few owners never actually really wanted to sell their horses, for their real worth anyway, so just entered their horse (as a claimer, with the highest possible price), in order to get some stake money in what they thought would be winnable races.

This may have been the downfall of the claimers races, as it defeats the purpose unfortunately. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

The name escapes me at the mo, but there was a horse that was running around in Auckland, around 2009/10 or 2010/11 and it seemed like it was being claimed every week or so (slight exaggeration). It won a stack of races however and had just about been stabled with every trainer in the region. 

A few owners never actually really wanted to sell their horses, for their real worth anyway, so just entered their horse (as a claimer, with the highest possible price), in order to get some stake money in what they thought would be winnable races.

This may have been the downfall of the claimers races, as it defeats the purpose unfortunately. 

One horse that got claimed very often around then was Moment of Truth. Was trained by Rob Lawson, then went onto a few trainers as he kept getting claimed

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Just now, Roman said:

One horse that got claimed very often around then was Moment of Truth. Was trained by Rob Lawson, then went onto a few trainers as he kept getting claimed

Thank you, that's it!

My old age is killing my memory bank. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

A few owners never actually really wanted to sell their horses, for their real worth anyway,

I suppose if you wanted to sell you could always put it up for sale on a website.

Probably a good thing owners are attached to their horses. If it was just about making money in harness racing then everyone would be royally screwed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mehe said:

I mean has any one got money to buy any horse

The proof will be at the yearling sales early next year. 

That may tell us if the bottom has fallen out of the industry, which after the breeding numbers recently, could have serious implications a few years down the track.

• Like 1