Bit Of A Yarn

No on course totes anymore?

10 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

You'll need to find a new payout recreation cos TAB wont be settling decent amounts with cash anymore. Get used to it Brodie, those days are well gone , a bit like cheques.And im sure they wont be bothered if you dont want to deal with them. They have to play with new rules such as AML and thus you do as well .

Greg

So Brodie is on the money as usual Greg!

All about control isn’t it?

What I can say is that if the NZ TAB doesn’t encourage wagering on racing, then it will not last anymore than 5 years!

I can assure you that punters are not interested in wagering on bloody table tennis or gaming !

i have noticed that the tote divs have just got so pathetic that why anyone would bother defies logic!!

not going to argue about this as let’s just see what happens over the next 6 months, but my thoughts are that harness stake money is going to drop, wagering is going to drop and there are going to be several owners and trainers getting out of racing or going to Oz!

As for something else to do Greg, I certainly don’t need to punt on harness racing just as many others don’t!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Brodie said:

As for something else to do Greg, I certainly don’t need to punt on harness racing just as many others don’t!

But you always come back and start betting again.

i have noticed that the tote divs have just got so pathetic that why anyone would bother defies logic!!

The tote divvies you refer to as pathetic are set by the punters . That is the way pari mutual totes operate globally. The more that punters put on the less the horse pays if it wins.

but my thoughts are that harness stake money is going to drop, wagering is going to drop

Wrong way around Brodie if wagering drops then stakes money will eventually drop unless you had Glenda and co at the helm where you just prop things up with reserves or borrow funds

Greg

27 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

The tote divvies you refer to as pathetic are set by the punters . That is the way pari mutual totes operate globally. The more that punters put on the less the horse pays if it wins.

There is more to it than what you say.

I'm convinced there is a deliberate attempt to undermine betting on the tote,and instead promote betting on fixed odds.

Why else would trackside  tv hardly ever show the tote dividends in the last few minutes.They only show fixed odds.

There can be no other explanation for it.  Once again this is a decision made my morons.

There is absolutely no reason why they can't show both,yet they don't. Its unbelievable really.

If your betting on the tote you have to sit in front of your computer and look at the tab website and watch the tote dividends,and that can be a time consuming process as the website is so slow in updating the dividends.   

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Wrong again JJ or rather a simplistic view of the issue.

The pool size can have an impact on the dividend.  The smaller the pool size the more likely you are to get a smaller dividend.  Especially with bets like Quinellas. 

Secondly the final dividend is affected by the takeout rate.  The NZ TAB has a higher takeout rate than other parimutuel totes subsequently the final dividends can be less. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, the galah said:

I'm convinced there is a deliberate attempt to undermine betting on the tote,and instead promote betting on fixed odds.

Why else would trackside  tv hardly ever show the tote dividends in the last few minutes.They only show fixed odds.

That is an observation I have made as well.  No one has ever been able to answer this question - do the TAB bookies lay off on the Tote?

The wild variation in final tote dividends displayed well after they start is another issue.  I would have thought with the $50m they have spent on the new system that the dividends will update in real time. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

But you always come back and start betting again.

Wrong way around Brodie if wagering drops then stakes money will eventually drop unless you had Glenda and co at the helm where you just prop things up with reserves or borrow funds

Greg

Yes Greg, I do keep coming back when I want something to do!

If there was no racing then I wouldn’t be able to bet so it wouldn’t particularly worry me.

I lost a lot of interest in trying to beat them when they continually reduced the amount I was able to win, to a point it just wasn’t worth the effort.

Was not thewrong way around whatsoever! Stake money is going to be dropped in the new season without doubt as well as punters not offloading as well, and not because of the lower stakes.

Many races the place divvies are under $2 and I always wonder why punters are bothering if they can not double there money?

I am sure the pools have dropped and that too much is being taken out to enable reasonable place divs are paid!

Some races in Oz trots, two horses end up with you getting your money back, so what is the point?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

That is an observation I have made as well.  No one has ever been able to answer this question - do the TAB bookies lay off on the Tote?

The wild variation in final tote dividends displayed well after they start is another issue.  I would have thought with the $50m they have spent on the new system that the dividends will update in real time. 

I doubt it. They would be laying off on overseas bookmakers rather than the tote anyway. Our tote pools are too small to put even 1000 on without caving the price. 

• Like 2

When i looked up the tab takeout figure a couple of months ago,i found in 2018 for every $ spent it was...

15%  win and place

21%     quinella

25%      trifecta,first 4,double,treble

26%      quaddie

27%      pick 6 and place 6

when i rung the tab recently they told me you got rebates if you spent over $98,000 per year.

I know the rebates on their website says

1%  win ,place and quinella   and 2%  exotic bets  for a spend of $10,000-25,000 per month

1.5%  .......                                and 2.5%...                                            $25,000-49,999 per month

2%                                             and 3%                                                   $50,000-99,999 per month

3%                                             and 4%                                                   $100,000-250,000 per month

4%                                             and 5%                                                   $250,000+     per month.

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

I doubt it. They would be laying off on overseas bookmakers rather than the tote anyway. Our tote pools are too small to put even 1000 on without caving the price. 

I agree. Its even worse if your putting on a place bet on the  nz tote. I think the big changes in the prices  on our tote is because of the small pools and as the chief and i have referred to ,the website being so slow to update.  

I think the australian bookmakers do lay some money off on their trots and dogs on their totes. They only have to put a small amount on to influence their tote dividends.They get way more $1.00 place dividends. Given some bookies pay out on the 2nd best of the 3 totes over there its simply a way for manipulate the potential payouts. They can't lose really if they take for example $500 a place on a dog,and they put $150 a place on 2 of the totes that would be enough to make the dog only pay $1.00 a place.