Bit Of A Yarn

Simon Lawson - Appeal to shorten Disqualification

Taku Umanga

3 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

(e) His disqualification penalty is disproportionate to a penalty of suspension imposed on another harness racing driver for an improper driving offence.

He got whacked with a lengthy sentence of 2 years and 6 months. What did McGrath get for his drive?

The Tribunal said that the offending struck at the heart of the integrity of the Code, and damaged its reputation with the community, being seriously dishonest.

They can make that decison but if anything sticks in INCA then those participants should / will be receiving similar penalties.

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

(e) His disqualification penalty is disproportionate to a penalty of suspension imposed on another harness racing driver for an improper driving offence.

He got whacked with a lengthy sentence of 2 years and 6 months. What did McGrath get for his drive?

The Tribunal said that the offending struck at the heart of the integrity of the Code, and damaged its reputation with the community, being seriously dishonest.

They can make that decison but if anything sticks in INCA then those participants should / will be receiving similar penalties.

You have hit the nail on the head as far as setting a precedent for future similar indiscretions..  Having gone to appeal just confirms that. 

I understand the need to discourage such activity,but  personally think the sentence could be argued to be excessive given there appeared no coordinated attempt with others to influence a result,and given he still drove his horse to its ability. He did of course punt on a horse he drove against.

It does make me worry that some from operation inca may possibly be subject to similar penalties should they be charged and proven.. I say that understanding there is a need to stomp out this activity,but also balanced with the fact that from a punting point if view, some of those involved in inca are the ones who give punters the most confidence that the horses they drive will  always be driven to the best of the horses ability. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, the galah said:

You have hit the nail on the head as far as setting a precedent for future similar indiscretions..  Having gone to appeal just confirms that. 

I understand the need to discourage such activity,but  personally think the sentence could be argued to be excessive given there appeared no coordinated attempt with others to influence a result,and given he still drove his horse to its ability. He did of course punt on a horse he drove against.

It does make me worry that some from operation inca may possibly be subject to similar penalties should they be charged and proven.. I say that understanding there is a need to stomp out this activity,but also balanced with the fact that from a punting point if view, some of those involved in inca are the ones who give punters the most confidence that the horses they drive will  always be driven to the best of the horses ability. 

Why would you be worried?

i would be more worried if some of them weren't charged . Considering how much one of them was punting and has admitted to punting!

3 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

can someone tell me what the penalty was for the driver that placed a bet on the nz cup and drove the horse they bet on

Outcome

[50] We have had regard to the totality of the penalties imposed and are satisfied that the final penalty of a fine of $3750 is not excessive. In so determining, we have had regard to the fact that r 505(2) declares a breach of r 505(1) to be a serious racing offence.

Soft gloves.