Bit Of A Yarn

Silver collar

JasonMc

Tendency in the past would have seen a CD kennel nominate 3 or 4 dogs to get drawn to the fields, with no intentions of actually starting the dogs.

It's happened week in & week out, over the last few years with most of the distance races carded in the CD.

Interesting decision by the club.

There are probably 2 differing opinions dependent on what camp you are in.

On one hand the two fields are the best proven stayers currently racing in NZ. (proven in that they have won a staying race) Those that have the higher graded dogs would probably pose the argument that they wouldnt want maidens/unproven stayers in the field as they could get in the way of the better dogs.

The other thought process would be given it is a unique distance, every dog nominated should get a chance to qualify for the final. 

Im sure the heats will prove to be two exciting events for the connections, the journeymen vs the staying star's vs the up & comer's vs the dour.

Plenty to watch and consider prior to investing the hard earned.

9 minutes ago, aquaman said:

They could always give every dog a go by making the first round non tote to determine the heats. Then it would not matter who pulled out.

good idea but running 779m three times would be a tough task

As far as I know for Lochinvar Brando he had this kind of prep.

Trial 779 Sunday.. trialed super. Something like .35 off track record.

Race 650m Thursday cambridge.. wins by 7+ lengths 

Trial 779m Sunday . Trialed a second slower than 7 days earlier.

Walked all week including some river swimming leading to the heats sunday.

Sunday. Heats of collar  . Wins

Walks and swims all week.

Sunday . Final of Collar .. Wins...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cozza said:

As far as I know for Lochinvar Brando he had this kind of prep.

Trial 779 Sunday.. trialed super. Something like .35 off track record.

Race 650m Thursday cambridge.. wins by 7+ lengths 

Trial 779m Sunday . Trialed a second slower than 7 days earlier.

Walked all week including some river swimming leading to the heats sunday.

Sunday. Heats of collar  . Wins

Walks and swims all week.

Sunday . Final of Collar .. Wins...

Knew it was something like that. trialed really well than trialed really slow. However, like i said, i was thoroughly mistaken

Brando wasn't half the dog over the middle distance that he was prior to his silver collar preparation & victory.

I recall connections of Brando at the time saying it ruined him.

One of my dogs finished 4th in that same Silver Collar race & was awarded $200 for his appearance. Today, a 4th place finisher in an everyday C4/C5 middle distance race is awarded $282 in stakes money. I wonder why so many owners & trainers had left the sport in recent years?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Brando wasn't half the dog over the middle distance that he was prior to his silver collar preparation & victory.

I recall connections of Brando at the time saying it ruined him.

One of my dogs finished 4th in that same Silver Collar race & was awarded $200 for his appearance. Today, a 4th place finisher in an everyday C4/C5 middle distance race is awarded $282 in stakes money. I wonder why so many owners & trainers had left the sport in recent years?

His form seemed alright from where I am sitting both before and after the Silver Collar final. He was almost always in the money in C5 racing over the middle distance. Im sure most of us would love to have a dog consistently placing in C5 races.

Edited by BitofaLegend

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, Yankiwi said:

Tendency in the past would have seen a CD kennel nominate 3 or 4 dogs to get drawn to the fields, with no intentions of actually starting the dogs.

It's happened week in & week out, over the last few years with most of the distance races carded in the CD.

Old habits never die....

image.thumb.png.ee9a4f6f550bca6ef1a1058171f8c2f3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest CrossCodes

Yes, considering Flygon was a maiden who couldn't keep up in it's only middle distance run, and Apricity had 12 starts over a middle distance for 1 placing with all its wins being in sprint races, it's pretty safe to assume Freeman had no intentions at all of ever running these dogs in that distance race,

1 hour ago, CrossCodes said:

Yes, considering Flygon was a maiden who couldn't keep up in it's only middle distance run, and Apricity had 12 starts over a middle distance for 1 placing with all its wins being in sprint races, it's pretty safe to assume Freeman had no intentions at all of ever running these dogs in that distance race,

not saying it is right but if the powers to be let it happen why wouldn't a larger trainer take advantage of it, and if the scratched dogs did get 30 days by the sounds of their form it would not be much of a loss to the kennel

If only Quistis had of got up and spoiled the party though :D

Edited by Bigjay

Guest CrossCodes
1 hour ago, BitofaLegend said:

If they dont have the heats tommorow, they are apparently going to draw the final out of a hat ?? Why not hold the heats next sunday instead?

If they did that it is just a farce.

One of the most prestigious races (if not the most) in the country and they are going to turn it into a raffle

Dogs and trainers should earn the right to be there, if I was the trainer of a dog who had put in months of training to be denied the chance to try and make the final I would be pissed to say the least.

Surely sanity will prevail and if the heats cannot be run then the race can just be postponed until a suitable date, although common sense and the NZGRA are a couple of words that don't seem to belong together!

Edited by CrossCodes

2 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

If they did that it is just a farce.

One of the most prestigious races (if not the most) in the country and they are going to turn it into a raffle

Dogs and trainers should earn the right to be there, if I was the trainer of a dog who had put in months of training to be denied the chance to try and make the final I would be pissed to say the least.

Surely sanity will prevail and if the heats cannot be run then the race can just be postponed until a suitable date, although common sense and the NZGRA are a couple of words that don't seem to belong together!

Id be surprised if a meeting goes ahead tomorrow. The rain has just lifted now. And the forecast is just as bad tomorrow as it was today. 

If the curator wasnt at the track working on it today. Itll be worse now than it was 5 hours ago

Edited by BitofaLegend

Drains were clogged was the excuse the last couple of times they lost a meeting.

Yesterday the weather report was there for everyone to read.... It is autumn (leaves)... The infield is still higher in elevation than the rail is..... The same management is in place.....

Did anyone expect a different outcome? I didn't.

If they end up drawing the final field from a hat for next week, then they might as well take it one step further and draw the top three for the final from the same hat.

50 minutes ago, BitofaLegend said:

Well its raining in Auckland this morning. Doesn't look good for Manukau today

Here's hoping you are wrong.  Surely a track inspection would have been done and with races still showing meaning today is a goer?