Bit Of A Yarn

Jewels

globederby12

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Majestic Man didn't look happy ..

That was the biggest procession of the day and most uneventful race. Up to 6.

Seems like Jo Average owner is selling to Purdon owners so maybe some are getting a quid.

Correct. He wasn't happy. That's racing, he will be back. 

My first roughie Dizzy Miss Lizzie,  and I must say a dead cert for a place.Poultice made. Gave some back on Beaudine Western but cleaned up on Eamon Maguire and my bet of the day, Pats Delight.  Great day out and great to meet syndicate members and friends.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Correct. He wasn't happy. That's racing, he will be back. 

For sure.

2 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

My first roughie Dizzy Miss Lizzie,  and I must say a dead cert for a place.Poultice made. Gave some back on Beaudine Western but cleaned up on Eamon Maguire and my bet of the day, Pats Delight.  Great day out and great to meet syndicate members and friends.

Nice, and well done on the punt.

What do people dislike about the jewels? The format of day, distance or the dominant stable? 

You know, if someone said 20 years ago, that we could have a days racing, for all ages, over the mile, and every race for big money, we would welcome it. I just wonder why people are down on it? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

What do people dislike about the jewels? The format of day, distance or the dominant stable? 

You know, if someone said 20 years ago, that we could have a days racing, for all ages, over the mile, and every race for big money, we would welcome it. I just wonder why people are down on it? 

Newmarket, there are some on the forums that do like the Jewels.

However, the Jewels are very over rated and as a punting vehicle a total waste of time and effort and most of the people that ai know, totally agree and don’t bother having a go on Jewels day.

Mile Racing is boring and if you have an average horse you are wasting your time going up from Canterbury.

Yes I am sure there is a bit of a thrill having a horse line up but running down the track would then put things into reality.

Is it in the best interests of harness racing for one stable to win over half of all the Jewel races, bearing in mind that they don’t start a horse in every Jewels race?

NO NO NO NO!

Jewels Day is a huge drain on the coffers of the harness industry, and yes we need feature days but we need the stake money being shared around different owners, or they will be GONE!!

8 minutes ago, Turny said:

For me the distance - not the all stars - just mile racing just doesn't do it for me - I once liked it but 10 years on I am left cold - just don't enjoy it anymore

Turny, you are right, Mile Racing is BORING!

AllStars domination is also Boring!

I appreciate that the AllStars owners put a lot of money into the industry but so do  many other owners and they are getting crumbs, and they won’t continue to accept the crumbs.

Edited by Brodie

I exited harness 10 years ago after reasonable involvement but with the racing today and the stakes would never go back - rather have my current 10%  in gallopers in 0z going round for $130k each Saturday but that too is bloody hard - you need good animals, very good to crack it

Edited by Turny

Without these sort of days, owners would sell their good horses which would end up overseas.....our fields would be far worse than they are now.

So what....mile racing not for everyone......a few horses won some bloody good money with good draws etc, but I don't see that being bad. 

We should be congratulating purdon team....not constantly putting them down.

• Like 2

Team Purdon do an amazing job, who cares what we all think.

Just think The Jewels need a little revamp, maybe that may happen at Addington next year, although continual 1950’s can be a little monotonous and draw dependant.Come to think of it, there  haven’t been many blowouts over the years, most of the time, best horse wins, because they either draw and dominate, or are good enough to do the work.

15 minutes ago, Kakama said:

Without these sort of days, owners would sell their good horses which would end up overseas.....our fields would be far worse than they are now.

So what....mile racing not for everyone......a few horses won some bloody good money with good draws etc, but I don't see that being bad. 

We should be congratulating purdon team....not constantly putting them down.

Kakama, no one at all is,putting them down!

Name one contributor that has put them down?

What they are saying is that is is boring and not great for the industry.

Everyone acknowledges their professionalism and unbelievable results, but you have to have your head in the sand if you think that it is great for harness racing!!

People are not keeping their horses racing just because of Jewels day!

Reality is that if this domination continues, which I beleive  it will, more people will be lost to ownership without doubt.

Is there a new generation of ownership coming through?   NO!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Kakama, no one at all is,putting them down!

Name one contributor that has put them down?

What they are saying is that is is boring and not great for the industry.

Everyone acknowledges their professionalism and unbelievable results, but you have to have your head in the sand if you think that it is great for harness racing!!

People are not keeping their horses racing just because of Jewels day!

Reality is that if this domination continues, which I beleive  it will, more people will be lost to,ownership without doubt.

Is there a new generation of ownership coming through?   NO!

The rest of the training mob need to lift their game.  It is a bit like Chris Waller in Sydney - he is dominating.  But like Purdon it is through good training systems.  Low stakes don't help of course and it limits the options for the next tier down to lift their game.

• Like 3

Guest CrossCodes

Reading the stewards report there were thousands of dollars collected by the JCA today for drivers not being right up on the mobile arm.

Guess that is the downside of a track like Cambridge, unless you are on an absolute gate flyer those out wide aren't going to be hustling off the arm, and if you did and were caught wide all the way they would probably ask you what you were doing.....can't win either way.  Is it just a money making thing?

11 hours ago, Turny said:

I exited harness 10 years ago after reasonable involvement but with the racing today and the stakes would never go back - rather have my current 10%  in gallopers in 0z going round for $130k each Saturday but that too is bloody hard - you need good animals, very good to crack it

That’s my point, you had maidens yesterday running for more than that. 

Brodie is ridiculous with his thoughts, purdons have a select group of owners, most been with the stable for many years, in fact some where even owners with Roy.  Just because they purchase more horses, and spend more than others, why is that a problem?  Why, well because they deliver the results!! 

Ive had mates, who couldn’t even get a horse into the stable!! 

• Like 1

The Jewels is not boring, It is just predictable.

Without wanting to be negative or having this taken the wrong way as there is so much to be feted on Jewels day, I found it just really predictable. Especially given the All Stars winning 6 of the 9 races which is an amazing feat of training and driving but that is normal these days, not an exception - hence predictable.

I sat on the couch the whole day yesterday to watch the all of it. It was pretty enjoyable but I knew what was coming. I have never done that before but it was a shame there was no rags to riches story, no fairytale story. No hobby trainer winning a big one, no big syndicate winning one.  The only different thing was the group of lads having fun after the last race which gave the impression of an atmosphere. 

Is the script of the Jewels in 2019 already written? It is not hard to guess what will happen, is it?